Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Miles and status expirations during coronavirus situation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Miles and status expirations during coronavirus situation

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2022, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by Polytonic
The email seems to indicate it's actually a 12-month extension.
Oh nice! I think I had looked at something different on the website that was throwing me off!

Awesome news!
Old Jan 13, 2022, 1:38 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
So my Silver is currently due to expire in Nov, but I'm only 4k away from Gold and going to trigger that through the "Unlock Status Credits without Flying" transfer promo that's still on until 28/2/22. Am I right that if I do this at the start of Feb this will then reset my year to Feb 23 and then today's announcement will then extend it by a year when we get to Feb 23? (sorry I just find it all slightly confusing!) Should I maybe just do the transfer this month to be on the safe side?
Old Jan 13, 2022, 10:27 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Originally Posted by EDIflyer
So my Silver is currently due to expire in Nov, but I'm only 4k away from Gold and going to trigger that through the "Unlock Status Credits without Flying" transfer promo that's still on until 28/2/22. Am I right that if I do this at the start of Feb this will then reset my year to Feb 23 and then today's announcement will then extend it by a year when we get to Feb 23? (sorry I just find it all slightly confusing!) Should I maybe just do the transfer this month to be on the safe side?
Yes, you can do this in beginning of Feb 2022 so long as your credit card points are posted by Feb 2022. Once it is posted, the KF Gold status will be updated within the next 1-2 days. Assuming you got your elite miles posted in early Feb 2022, the KF gold status will be updated with the renewal due by Feb 2023. In Feb 2023, they will renew your status for another year till Feb 2024.

Assuming if you are able to transfer another 50K elite miles in the month of Feb 2022 and posted before 28 Feb 2022, the 50K elite miles will be auto added back to your account once the account has been renewed after Feb 2023 (probably in month of Mar 2023). During the renewal of your KF Gold status in end Feb 2024, these 50K elite miles can be used to renew your Gold status for another year till Feb 2025.
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 10:34 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Thanks hclee01 - just wanted to check I wasn't misreading! I've set a calendar reminder for the evening of 31/1 to initiate the transfer, they seem to go across pretty quickly. Sadly would need another 500k HSBC points to get 50K more elite miles in time, which I'm nowhere near. Would be great if I had that but SQ*G until Feb 2024 will still be nice though
Old Jan 17, 2022, 1:43 pm

Programs: *A
Expiry date of redeposited miles?

I have miles in my KrisFlyer account that will be expiring next year. I'm thinking of using them for a business class award flight but I do not have enough miles to purchase the ticket. I can transfer points from another account to top up my KF account. If I end up cancelling that flight I know there is a $50 redeposit fee. What would be the expiry date of the re-deposited miles?
Old Jan 18, 2022, 12:22 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by wrenz
I have miles in my KrisFlyer account that will be expiring next year. I'm thinking of using them for a business class award flight but I do not have enough miles to purchase the ticket. I can transfer points from another account to top up my KF account. If I end up cancelling that flight I know there is a $50 redeposit fee. What would be the expiry date of the re-deposited miles?
Redeemed miles retain their original expiry date. Also they don't get picked up in extensions, so they automatically expire when returning to the account (if their original expiry date had passed), although if they were due for extension you can appeal this.

So, to illustrate. You have miles expiring in June 2022, which you use in May for an award ticket in say April 2023. You decide to cancel in November, they return to your account, and they expire automatically. But as miles would have been extended to December 2022, you can appeal that and they should be reinstated. Or if you decide to cancel in March, the miles would have been extended to December and then again to June 2023, so again you would have to appeal the expiry.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 2:52 am

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by lokijuh
Redeemed miles retain their original expiry date. Also they don't get picked up in extensions, so they automatically expire when returning to the account (if their original expiry date had passed), although if they were due for extension you can appeal this.

So, to illustrate. You have miles expiring in June 2022, which you use in May for an award ticket in say April 2023. You decide to cancel in November, they return to your account, and they expire automatically. But as miles would have been extended to December 2022, you can appeal that and they should be reinstated. Or if you decide to cancel in March, the miles would have been extended to December and then again to June 2023, so again you would have to appeal the expiry.
Thank you, lokijuh. I appreciate your reply, explanation, and example. Well done
Old Aug 20, 2022, 3:14 am

Question Any free miles extension from Jan 2023? Let's discuss

Originally Posted by Polytonic
The email seems to indicate it's actually a 12-month extension.
2022 is left with 4 months+. So do you think KrisFlyer will extend the miles for free that are going to expire in from Jan 2023 for another 6 months? Let's discuss.
My views is no. Because usually they give long notice at least 6 months ahead and now almost everyone can travel freely to anywhere except China, Taiwan and Japan.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by vsepr
2022 is left with 4 months+. So do you think KrisFlyer will extend the miles for free that are going to expire in from Jan 2023 for another 6 months? Let's discuss.
My views is no. Because usually they give long notice at least 6 months ahead and now almost everyone can travel freely to anywhere except China, Taiwan and Japan.
Yeah my guess is the extensions are going to come to an end.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by vsepr
yea, everywhere is open (generally since Apr22 when SG borders opened freely) with the exception of the North Asia Points you mentioned + HKG.
There are also non air-redemption options available to members (separate topic on the value of thsoe options).
Therefore, i also don't think further miles extension is likely, likewise for status extensions.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 7:33 am

Things don't look good.....

Originally Posted by bent
yea, everywhere is open (generally since Apr22 when SG borders opened freely) with the exception of the North Asia Points you mentioned + HKG.
There are also non air-redemption options available to members (separate topic on the value of those options).
Therefore, i also don't think further miles extension is likely, likewise for status extensions.
I tried asking some websites that buy miles like www.sellmymiles.com. They do not want to buy KrisFlyer miles too at this moment.
If you redeem tickets to travel for dates in 2023, there is a risk of forfeiting your miles if you do not intend to travel last minute for whatever reason.
My plan is to use KrisPay to buy Harvey Norman vouchers since they do not have expiry dates.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 10:43 pm

This is the most obvious hint:
https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...ary-rebooking/

Complimentary Rebooking Policy
Policy applies for tickets issued on or before 31 July 2022
Old Sep 28, 2022, 7:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm the midst of an odd debate with Singapore Airlines.

I booked a redemption award for 39,000 miles in May.

I voluntarily canceled the booking in July.

I did not get 39,000 miles.

I only got about 15,000 miles back, and my account statement reflects -24,000 due to expiration of miles.

I have called the US number a few times, and I'm usually told the redemption agents are unavailable.

Today I got a hold of a redemption agent who at first was adamant that my miles expired.

I pointed out that Singapore has announced that no miles would expire in 2022 and she said that's just for unused miles, once you use them then they can still expire if you cancel the redemption ticket.

That sounds like nonsense to me. The Singapore Airlines announcement in January was that "no miles will expire in 2022," it seems unreasonable that they would now tell me that my miles . . . expired in 2022.

https://mainlymiles.com/2022/01/13/s...-january-2023/

I argued a bit more and she said she would "escalate" this but no guarantee I would get the miles as she still seems to think this a is a righteous forfeiture and expiration of my miles due to my voluntarily cancellation of my ticket.

Any advice here? Has anyone dealt with this? They can be right, can they?
Old Sep 28, 2022, 7:34 pm

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Originally Posted by jphripjah
I'm the midst of an odd debate with Singapore Airlines.

I booked a redemption award for 39,000 miles in May.

I voluntarily canceled the booking in July.

I did not get 39,000 miles.

I only got about 15,000 miles back, and my account statement reflects -24,000 due to expiration of miles.

I have called the US number a few times, and I'm usually told the redemption agents are unavailable.

Today I got a hold of a redemption agent who at first was adamant that my miles expired.

I pointed out that Singapore has announced that no miles would expire in 2022 and she said that's just for unused miles, once you use them then they can still expire if you cancel the redemption ticket.

That sounds like nonsense to me. The Singapore Airlines announcement in January was that "no miles will expire in 2022," it seems unreasonable that they would now tell me that my miles . . . expired in 2022.

https://mainlymiles.com/2022/01/13/s...-january-2023/

I argued a bit more and she said she would "escalate" this but no guarantee I would get the miles as she still seems to think this a is a righteous forfeiture and expiration of my miles due to my voluntarily cancellation of my ticket.

Any advice here? Has anyone dealt with this? They can be right, can they?
Technically, and unfortunately, once the miles are used, it will no longer be "protected" under the miles do not expire regime that SQ was offering. Hence, it will be on goodwill basis if they re-credit the "expired" miles back to your account. You may wish to consider doing a web-chat online with the Singapore agents to see if they are able to assist to escalate a review of your case and hopefully you can get your miles back. All the best!
Old Sep 28, 2022, 8:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by hclee01
Technically, and unfortunately, once the miles are used, it will no longer be "protected" under the miles do not expire regime that SQ was offering.
Why not?

They advertised miles won't expire in 2022.

How I do the web chat?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.