Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Miles and status expirations during coronavirus situation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:59 pm
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM

Seems like multiple people are reporting unsympathetic reception by SQ on the topic of award miles expiring due to flights being cancelled during this situation. And probably people are thinking about their status too with a severe reduction in flying.

Can we gather some stories here to feedback to SQ to consider being more flexible? Some hotel chains / airlines are starting to implement waivers / suspension of expiration during this unfortunate situation.
Brendan and tbm13 like this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 4:21 am

I have to J bookings with miles which I will need to cancel

1 April 2020 IST-SIN-SYD (4 pax)

24 April 2020 SIN-IST (4 pax) - this flight is cancelled and they offered us to flight day later....

I used miles which will expire now if I leave them on account so I wonder what will be policy, I ask SQ about it via Coronavirus form and waiting for answers, which \I will share with You,

I also asked if they can rebook us for 31 March 2021....I know its more than 330 days from now but.....in the end this I will book again....
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
I have some miles expiring at the end of the month. I think I am SOL. I hope there is a communication soon.
tbm13 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 2:35 am

so I receive SQ answer and lost many miles:
".... we will be extending the validity for 3 months from date of refund."

but this is my answer to SQ

"Dear Madam/Sir

I checked my account and I lost very big amounth of miles becouse of Your decision to extend validity miles for only 3 months.
In email of canceletions SQ wrote:
" You will be able to rebook your travel at a later date, when you are able to firm up your new travel plans. The new flight itinerary should be completed by 31 March 2021. Please note that a fare difference may apply if there is a change in destination or booking class."

You should extend miles by one year or rebook our flights to another date we will be traveling inside 365 days from cancelled flights

Yesterday at my SQ account I had
258536 miles before cancelletions

today I have
reservations which was booking under my account was for 3x86000 miles and 3*49000 miles
so I should have 405000 miles transfered back
and I should have 663536 miles total

So generaly You "stole/expired" 243693 my mailes which is not acceptable for me

Please refere my case to Your supervisor and I hope I will recive back my 243693 miles soon"

Last edited by Garimi; Mar 24, 2020 at 2:44 am
Old Mar 24, 2020, 3:03 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by Garimi
Please refere my case to Your supervisor and I hope I will recive back my 243693 miles soon"
Did you request a miles redeposit? Or did SQ just cancel and redeposit on their own?

For my 2 bookings, SQ cancelled the flight but the PNR remains active in the 'My Bookings' page, and my miles were not re-deposited. Presumably later on I can call them up and rebook the same route at a later date, I suppose this way there's no question / problem about expiring miles. I have no idea if I can change route though.
Brendan likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 3:18 am

yes I requested redeposit....my flight was also active but till 15 March 2021 only and we will travel 2 weeks later...

Last edited by Garimi; Mar 24, 2020 at 3:33 am
Old Mar 24, 2020, 7:16 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by Garimi
yes I requested redeposit....my flight was also active but till 15 March 2021 only and we will travel 2 weeks later...
Ah OK. I hope it works out for you, but so far others in the forums have had no success with getting SQ to reverse decision on expiring miles.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 5:45 pm

First world problem - I wonder if SQ are considering extending member statuses by 6 months or so....there’s no way I’m going to hit gold or pps levels by the time the renewal date is due (in few months time). Would be unfair having to use built up reserve funds etc, if unable to travel anywhere.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Mlee888
First world problem - I wonder if SQ are considering extending member statuses by 6 months or so....there’s no way I’m going to hit gold or pps levels by the time the renewal date is due (in few months time). Would be unfair having to use built up reserve funds etc, if unable to travel anywhere.
i tot SQ have given status extension in Feb? Maybe for those due to renew in Feb.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 10:39 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
I recall in 2001 with the financial crisis and 9/11, SQ granted waivers for status renewals. I recall retaining my PPS status with half the sectors in my account.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 5:26 am

SQ redeposit today expired miles and I can use them till end of June (3months) but I noticed it only at sq account I didn't get any email....

SQ still didn't send miles for 2 pax of one of my booking so I'm still short 100k miles...I sent another email today....
Brendan and tbm13 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
My PPS status ends August 31. I could have renew it but all the flights have been called, so I may end my PPS status for the first time in 9 years.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 3:36 pm

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Thumbs up QR has done it

MY SQ KF status expires end Apr. & I won't be renewing coz the airline canx. my last flight for the membership year (LAX non-stop)
KF Contact said they'll review my acct. in Apr. so let's see how that goes.

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/Privilege-Club/We_want_to_honour_your_loyalty.html

12 more months of tier status
We recently contacted you to let you know we would extend or reinstate your tier status, to help protect the efforts you’ve made toward your Privilege Club tier status.
We were hopeful, but as COVID-19 continues to make planning travel more difficult than ever, we want to go further to honour your loyalty.

We’re extending or giving back tier status, ending before 31 January 2021 along with all membership benefits for 12 months. And, because we know your time is more valuable than ever right now, we’ll automatically change your tier status on 1 April 2020, for an entire membership year.
That’s not all. For Gold and Platinum members, we heard you when you told us our Qcredit policy wasn’t flexible enough. So, we’re changing that too. Your Qcredits now last two years, as long as you retain your tier. What’s more, we’re also making them refundable, no matter how you choose to use them. Enjoy your refreshed balance on 1 April 2020, knowing that you have more flexibility than ever before with Qatar Airways. Choose to use them to upgrade, take an extra bag or relax in the lounge, when the right time comes to travel again.
To enjoy your tier benefits, download, email or print an electronic version of your membership card from your dashboard after login.
*Terms and conditions apply.
12 months will be given based on the membership anniversary.
Tier change will be made automatically on 1st April

We were really not expecting this from QRPC as they had already extended our status for 6 months just 1-2 weeks ago
And not just tier status, our QCredits are now good for 2 years instead of 1, which we can use for upgrades - this it a really big deal to us coz now it'll allow us to combine 2 years worth of credits & be able to upgrade for all the LH flights.

SQ KF - the ball's in your court ..
tbm13 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 3:24 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
My PPS membership was due for renewal in end Feb 2020. I was short of around 400 PPS value in my account for renewal. However, I do have enough reserve value to renew the membership. However, SIA did send an email towards end Feb 2020 informing me that they will top my account for the remaining PPS Value to renew the membership for one more year without having me to dip into my Reserve Value.

Membership was renewed in early March 2020 without deducting any Reserve Value from my account.

I just received the new PPS membership pack via mail as well.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 1:56 am

Looks like I just received an official answer from
SQ for my above questions via the latest newsletter received via email signed by CEO -

I would also like to share that we will automatically renew all KrisFlyer Elite and PPS Club membership statuses for another 12 months at the end of your respective membership year. This applies to all memberships expiring from March 2020 through to February 2021. The validity of any expiring PPS and Elite Gold Rewards will also be extended until 31 March 2021. You can find out more here.
This is a small token of our appreciation for your loyalty and support, which we value greatly as we work hard to get through this outbreak.

——

This is great for me. I’m more than grateful for this.

Wonder what happens to the existing credits etc. that’s currently in place. This is a FWP question and I am not concerned what happens....just a thought only.

Last edited by Mlee888; Apr 1, 2020 at 2:17 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.