Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Singapore policy on interlining on separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2023, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SilverChris
Singapore Airlines' (SQ) through-check baggage policy on separate tickets

Official policy: https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/b...question-60958
Note that the requirement of having a single itinerary to transit through SIN is out of date

SQ - SQ
Yes, provided your connection is legal.

SQ - Other airlines
Yes, in most cases. As long as there's an interline agreement with the subsequent carrier(s), and your connection time is legal, SQ should check it through. There may be exceptions, such as where the connecting point cannot accept through-checked bags.

Scoot (TR) - SQ
No, Scoot will not tag your bag to an SQ flight if it's on a separate ticket.

Other airlines - SQ
Check with the airline that will be accepting your bag.

FAQ
How do I ask to be through-checked from SQ to another airline?

At the check-in desk, tell the agent you have an onward flight, and show a printout/screenshot of your e-ticket for the onward flight(s).

Will I receive my boarding pass(es) for the subsequent flight(s)?
Most likely. SQ has the capability of printing boarding passes for your subsequent flights, even on other airlines, but this doesn't always work.

Is SQ obligated to check me in across separate tickets?
No, especially if it's to another airline. It is, however, a courtesy offered by SQ at their discretion and is not guaranteed. There may be instances of inexperienced/unhelpful check-in staff, or unforeseen exceptions. You should always have a contingency plan in case you're refused. In other words, always meet the entry requirements for the destination on your first ticket, and leave sufficient time to clear arrival formalities and re-check your bag.

My bag was tagged by SQ to another airline, and now it's mishandled (delayed/lost/damaged). Which airline is responsible?
The final delivering carrier is always responsible, even if they're not at fault. This is true even if you're on separate tickets. You must file a report with the final carrier listed on your baggage claim stub.

I was through-checked by SQ, but missed my connection. Will SQ rebook my onward travel?
If it's SQ-SQ, they're usually proactive at rebooking you even on separate tickets. If it's to another carrier, you're at the mercy of that airline and your fare rules. This is the inherent risk of travelling on separate tickets, so plan accordingly.

My tickets have different baggage allowances and/or I hold status with the subsequent airline. Which allowance will SQ honour?
Anecdotal reports suggest SQ will usually honour the higher allowance, if your onward flight is on SQ. If your onward flight is on a different airline, expect SQ to honour the allowance of your flight with them, along with any extra allowance your applicable status would get you on SQ (i.e. PPS/KFEG/*A/VS/VA Gold etc). Should you hold status that gets you extra allowance on the subsequent airline, but not SQ (e.g. oneworld Emerald, AC E35K, etc), don't expect SQ to honour it.
For example:
Ticket 1: SQ SIN-LHR Y, no status = 30kg
Ticket 2: AA LHR-ORD Y, OW Emerald = 3*23kg
Expect SQ to honour Ticket 1's baggage allowance
Print Wikipost

Singapore policy on interlining on separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2024, 2:00 pm
THR

Yes, they will interline for you.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 9:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Singapore Airlines Gold
thank you!
Old Mar 20, 2024, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Hi, apologies if this is the wrong thread for this question. If I have two separate tickets, BOM-SIN on SQ J, and SIN-SFO on UA Premium Economy

1) What baggage rules would apply? Given I have business on the first leg, would United take those "overweight" bags for free on the second leg? Or would I have to buy additional baggage separately?
2) Since both are Star Alliance, my bags should go all the way to SFO right?
3) Would I receive both boarding passes at BOM or would I have to re check-in at SIN?

Thank you!
Old Mar 21, 2024, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by bomberman92
Hi, apologies if this is the wrong thread for this question. If I have two separate tickets, BOM-SIN on SQ J, and SIN-SFO on UA Premium Economy

1) What baggage rules would apply? Given I have business on the first leg, would United take those "overweight" bags for free on the second leg? Or would I have to buy additional baggage separately?
3) Would I receive both boarding passes at BOM or would I have to re check-in at SIN?

Thank you!
you follow the ticket allowance for each ticket since it is separate ticket.

SQ agent might not check through if the weight exceeds UA allowance. Some might help and some might not.
bomberman92 and DiamondMile like this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 9:26 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by TechMarauder
This is the first time I’m attempting this and information on this thread has been valuable.

I’m on the SQ flight to MAN (arriving 915a) and have a separate ticket on LH (MAN-MUC-BEG) which leaves at 1055am. Based on the above, it looks like it’s possible to check my bags through (esp since both are *A) but wanted to check with the group esp since LH is T1 (vs SQ T2 @ MAN)
just wanted to share with the group that this wasn’t a problem at all at IAH. I explained situation and showed reservation on LH and bags were checked IAH-MAN-MUC-BEG and everything arrived fine. That also allowed me to take the connecting bus between terminals.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 10:08 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by bomberman92

Thank you!
1) As noted above, both rules apply as they're separate tickets. If SQ checks it through in spite of your lower allowance, UA would be within its rights to collect the excess baggage fee from you, or even go after SQ... if it comes to their attention.
2) *A is irrelevant in this case. SQ's practice is to check through to any interline partner.
3) From experience, SQ is quite good at printing onward boarding passes across separate tickets (i.e. they do a full through-check in, rather than just managing your bag tag separately). If they don't, it's easy enough to swing by the transfer desk at SIN.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 3:16 am

Sorry for asking this again, but I have this flight and I'm not sure what to do:
SQ 946 SIN - DPS departing at 17:50
Originally I was going to be in SIN, but travel plans changed and now I will be in HKG, and cannot cancel this flight, so I was looking to book anothe SQ flight (obviously it will be two different PNR)
SQ 875 HKG - SIN arriving at 16:20 with just one and half hour to transit (this combination is available if I search for the HKG - DPS)
I will be travelling with check in baggage, reading the wiki I assume that SQ will be able to through-check my baggage right?
So my biggest concern should be to be able to make the connection, is 90 minutes enough or should I look for SQ 899 arriving at 13:00?

Thanks!
Old Apr 23, 2024, 5:24 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by robertosoto7
Sorry for asking this again, but I have this flight and I'm not sure what to do:
SQ 946 SIN - DPS departing at 17:50
Originally I was going to be in SIN, but travel plans changed and now I will be in HKG, and cannot cancel this flight, so I was looking to book anothe SQ flight (obviously it will be two different PNR)
SQ 875 HKG - SIN arriving at 16:20 with just one and half hour to transit (this combination is available if I search for the HKG - DPS)
I will be travelling with check in baggage, reading the wiki I assume that SQ will be able to through-check my baggage right?
So my biggest concern should be to be able to make the connection, is 90 minutes enough or should I look for SQ 899 arriving at 13:00?

Thanks!
Yes no problem on both counts. You can check your luggage through and 90mins is plenty at Changi for a transit SQ to SQ assuming your incoming flight is on time or only has minor delay. 60 mins is still easily doable.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 8:57 am

It is doable if the HKG flight is on time.
but weather might play a part. That the main concern.

know 2 persons who missed their connection flight at Changi last few days due to delay incoming flight from KLIA as weather affect flow rate at Changi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.