Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

2011 - 2021: How likely are waitlisted awards to clear?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 - 2021: How likely are waitlisted awards to clear?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2018, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by estnet
It would be helpful to know what date in Jan.
Jan 16 flight number sq 25. I was hoping that they would start doing jfk-singapore by now but oh well.

Also I don't know how helpful it is but the flight is for two people.

edit: clarification two tickets were released
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: UA 1K (plus a few others)
waitlist -- can I wait to transfer miles?

Hi Flyertalk experts,

I don't travel much on SQ, but have just waitlisted a saver award: ZRH-SIN from C to F. F shows 8 available seats (in F and A booking classes) so fingers crossed it will work. My question: I don't have miles in my KF account at the moment, was planning to transfer them from Chase if/when the waitlist clears. What do people think -- will there be enough time to do so? Or should I take the chance and transfer the miles now?

Thanks as always for the sage advice.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by burmaflyer
Hi Flyertalk experts,

I don't travel much on SQ, but have just waitlisted a saver award: ZRH-SIN from C to F. F shows 8 available seats (in F and A booking classes) so fingers crossed it will work. My question: I don't have miles in my KF account at the moment, was planning to transfer them from Chase if/when the waitlist clears. What do people think -- will there be enough time to do so? Or should I take the chance and transfer the miles now?

Thanks as always for the sage advice.
How did you manage to waitlist? You generally need to already have the necessary miles in your KF account before waitlisting. The miles are then deducted from your account only if/when the waitlist clears. So if you haven't already, you should transfer the miles.

To answer your second question, you will probably have enough time to transfer (extra) miles if necessary after the waitlist clears. SQ generally gives you a few days to ticket/confirm the flight after it clears.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: UA 1K (plus a few others)
Originally Posted by pennystinkard
How did you manage to waitlist? You generally need to already have the necessary miles in your KF account before waitlisting. The miles are then deducted from your account only if/when the waitlist clears. So if you haven't already, you should transfer the miles.

To answer your second question, you will probably have enough time to transfer (extra) miles if necessary after the waitlist clears. SQ generally gives you a few days to ticket/confirm the flight after it clears.
Interesting. Not sure how I managed. Friendly KrisFlyer agent on the phone I guess? But good to know and will transfer miles over. Thanks!
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:07 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Forget chasers....I can't even get on the waitlist.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:16 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.

Yeah that's one reason I haven't transferred points to KF, because I don't want my points to become stranded there.

All I ever see when I search awards on KF is WL out of SFO.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Just waitlisted 2 tickets in Y for July 15 MAN-IAH, I'm not sure what the chances are as it is summer but I would guess economy has the best chance to clear as it has the most seats available.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:57 pm

I waitlisted 1 saver award seat in PE, 1 in Biz, and 1 in First/Suites for SIN-PEK flying Feb. 22 on December 5 and they all cleared on December 10. I went with the First/Suite option since I had the miles and not much THAT much more for a 6 hour flight, and cancelled the others. The bad part was having to book two seperate flights from DEL-PEK, with a stop in SIN, since they won't do that route as one when booking awards due to the southward travel.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 1:17 pm

I waitlisted a SIN-FRA-JFK suites award for early Feb right when the waitlist was released.

Currently, there're only 2 seats taken in Suites according to Expert Flyer.

May I know if it's a high chance that I'll get the waitlist?

If not, I've the option to book a JAL Business class flight right now instead. Ugh the struggles
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:20 pm

I want to book a flight to hkg. Currently business class is available but suites is wait list. Can I wait list for a business class seat while wait list for the suites? Cannot do it via app.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:32 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by tboons
I want to book a flight to hkg. Currently business class is available but suites is wait list. Can I wait list for a business class seat while wait list for the suites? Cannot do it via app.
You'll need enough miles for Suites to waitlist it, so you need to waitlist first then book the business class tickets IIRC. Try doing the waitlist and booking online, if not you may need to call it in and say that it's not letting you do it online so that the fees can be waived.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by slickvik
Just waitlisted 2 tickets in Y for July 15 MAN-IAH, I'm not sure what the chances are as it is summer but I would guess economy has the best chance to clear as it has the most seats available.
What are the economics for that, though? I'm based in SIN so it probably costs more for me to obtain miles than it does for you. For me, Y redemptions give me back less value than the (opportunity) cost of obtaining those miles in the first place
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by shuigao
What are the economics for that, though? I'm based in SIN so it probably costs more for me to obtain miles than it does for you. For me, Y redemptions give me back less value than the (opportunity) cost of obtaining those miles in the first place
I have leftover 45000 miles from cancelled tickets last year so no opportunity cost besides time.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by shuigao
I'm curious, what is the opportunity cost of obtaining KF miles if you are based in SIN? I would've thought it would be easier there since it is the national carrier.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
I'm curious, what is the opportunity cost of obtaining KF miles if you are based in SIN? I would've thought it would be easier there since it is the national carrier.
Without going into the details of the dozens of different cards available, I'll just do a very general estimate.

For daily spend/earn, the HSBC Advance card gives a minimum of 1.5% cash back, (capped at s$125/mth).
General miles cards give 1.3mpd for local spend = I need to spend 76.92 (singapore) cents to get 1 mile.
If I had swiped to the cash back card, I would have got 1.5% i.e. 1.15 (singapore) cents back instead of the 1 mile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.