Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

2011 - 2021: How likely are waitlisted awards to clear?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 - 2021: How likely are waitlisted awards to clear?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by fone
Rule of thumb, you cannot enter/exit SIN immigration (ie exit SIN to airside and re-enter SIN to landside) without taking a flight (without a good reason) and not get into trouble. You will get into trouble with your procedure.

1) So your process should be to get your onward boarding pass (either at your first airport, or transfer desk at SIN). You should then get them to check the bag to SIN only.

2) Proceed to SKL for showers first (entry using the onward boarding pass), then exit and collect your baggage (if necessary, collect at the lost and found area if they have been cleared from the belt).

3) Take your things out from your checked bag, then proceed to re-check the bag again

4) Proceed to city tour

5) Go back to airside through SIN immigration.
Only reason why I dont feel comfortable doing the approach you suggested is that on step 2), the luggage will sit there unclaimed. I know it is singapore, so technically safe from the statistics point of view. Is the lost and found office just next to the luggage carousel?

Last edited by gnomey; Aug 3, 2017 at 9:19 pm
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
Since I have onward boarding pass and not trying to game the lounge access or whatever, then why should i be getting into trouble? Just curious. Is it because the first time, when i go into airside, it is just to shower + eat but not to fly? Anyway, I know these multiple entries/exit can look suspicious, that's why asking now

Only reason why I dont feel comfortable doing the approach you suggested is that on step 2), the luggage will sit there unclaimed. I know it is singapore, so technically safe from the statistics point of view. Is the lost and found office just next to the luggage carousel?
The ultimate reason is that the restricted zone, aka airside, is only for those who are going to fly, and not for one to go in and out without flying.

Like others here, all we can do is to provide the general rule here and what we think is best. If you want to go against it, that is up to your own personal choice. It is not my job here to convince you otherwise.

I'm not too sure what happens to your baggage after 1 hr or so. I've only have a few experiences with "lost and found" department.

1) Was supposed to be on BR flight, flight was delayed due to typhoon at TPE (plane was not even enroute to SIN yet). Checked in the bag, and took UA flight subsequently. Baggage was transferred to lost baggage section for about 18 hours. Baggage was subsequently transferred to UA (I cannot remember if they returned me the bag or transfer was done by lost baggage department).

2) Had to un-check after checking in at SIN. Did not enter airside at all. Retrieve lost baggage at lost and found, IIRC , it was located between the 2 baggage claim areas, not that far, yet not that near. Longest I've waited for my baggage at SIN so far. Somehow, the luggage was returned halfway and left there un-attended, until the customer service went to look for it (it was supposed to come back via the odd-sized baggage belt).

From (2), I actually observe them putting the unclaimed bags aside first, so if you get a quick shower (say 30 mins), it might still be right beside the belt. Still within the "reasonable" time frame for long immigration queue plus shopping for duty free then getting to the belt.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by fone
The ultimate reason is that the restricted zone, aka airside, is only for those who are going to fly, and not for one to go in and out without flying.

Like others here, all we can do is to provide the general rule here and what we think is best. If you want to go against it, that is up to your own personal choice. It is not my job here to convince you otherwise.

I'm not too sure what happens to your baggage after 1 hr or so. I've only have a few experiences with "lost and found" department.

1) Was supposed to be on BR flight, flight was delayed due to typhoon at TPE (plane was not even enroute to SIN yet). Checked in the bag, and took UA flight subsequently. Baggage was transferred to lost baggage section for about 18 hours. Baggage was subsequently transferred to UA (I cannot remember if they returned me the bag or transfer was done by lost baggage department).

2) Had to un-check after checking in at SIN. Did not enter airside at all. Retrieve lost baggage at lost and found, IIRC , it was located between the 2 baggage claim areas, not that far, yet not that near. Longest I've waited for my baggage at SIN so far. Somehow, the luggage was returned halfway and left there un-attended, until the customer service went to look for it (it was supposed to come back via the odd-sized baggage belt).

From (2), I actually observe them putting the unclaimed bags aside first, so if you get a quick shower (say 30 mins), it might still be right beside the belt. Still within the "reasonable" time frame for long immigration queue plus shopping for duty free then getting to the belt.
great, thank you for sharing your experience ^. will see how i feel at that time.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 1:04 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Singapore authorities have been clamping down on those who enter/exit airside without flying. If they see that your flight isn't until tomorrow, you will likely get questioned or denied access.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...at-the-airport
Old Aug 6, 2017, 3:09 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Originally Posted by hclee01
I have an upcoming trip from SIN-TYO in early Aug 2017. I am on commercial J ticket and my travel companion is waitlisted on J award saver ticket from HND-SIN (SQ633) using my miles. The agent has sent "chasers" a few times but somehow, the waitlist has yet to clear. Will see how it goes. Now the standard award availability is on waitlist too. Chances are slim, but luckily the agent has assisted me to reserve a standard award J class ticket, pending issuance by end July 2017. Will report back if I do get success in getting the saver J ticket.
Just an update, so far, no luck with my waitlist, and given that it is only a week to the flight, I have redeemed the Standard aware for my travel companion. The later redeye flight SQ635 has seats available now for saver award. Looks like I am out of luck. I have tried 2 times "chasing" them, but so far, my SIN-PVG redemption in Sep has been confirmed.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Just under two weeks until my wait listed departure dates and still nothing has cleared in J.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Plat, SA Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
Booked two LAX-ICN-SIN RT for later this month - one is an award ticket that is currently waitlisted for my wife, the other is 'saver' revenue business for me.

I have her on a Delta award ticket as backup. She is a former SQ FA from many moons ago, so she thinks she can get herself upgraded via her 'connections' once she's confirmed - but in the interim, what can I do to try to get her off the waitlist?

Call SQ and tell them she's on a revenue flight with me? I just called them and the nice Filipino girl said that doesn't make a difference, but she seemed sweetly clueless. I'm still KF silver, for what it's worth. Thoughts?
Old Aug 12, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Within a week of my waitlist J flight and still it hasn't cleared. I called in and they put in a chaser. I'm getting nervous and I had multiple wait lists that aren't clearing. Any idea how long it will take for a chaser to work if it does work? I notice they are still allowing people to waitlist in J on saver award for same flights. Not sure why they are allowing that when there are already people waitlisted who aren't clearing with less than a week to go. Interestingly they won't allow a waitlist in suites for saver but they have a seat open because they will give it away for standard awards. Is there a chance that close in suites will open up?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Originally Posted by Red259
Within a week of my waitlist J flight and still it hasn't cleared. I called in and they put in a chaser. I'm getting nervous and I had multiple wait lists that aren't clearing. Any idea how long it will take for a chaser to work if it does work? I notice they are still allowing people to waitlist in J on saver award for same flights. Not sure why they are allowing that when there are already people waitlisted who aren't clearing with less than a week to go. Interestingly they won't allow a waitlist in suites for saver but they have a seat open because they will give it away for standard awards. Is there a chance that close in suites will open up?
Just sharing my experience. I am on commercial J class ticket from HND to SIN a few days ago. My travel companion (*G member) was waitlisted on J class saver award using my miles, and even though the flight was not full, the J class saver award did not clear a week before the flight, despite a couple of "chasers" being sent either through the office in ION Orchard and through the Call Centre. In the end, I redeemed a Standard J class award for my travel companion. I left the waitlist record intact, and even right up to the day of flight, the J saver award did not clear. When i checked online a few days before the flight, they are still allowing waitlist on saver J award online.

The flight was not full as I was on A350 plane in Seat 11A and my travel companion was on 12A, I noticed that the seats besides me (11D and 11F) were empty. In fact, at least 20% or more of the J class seats were not occupied when the doors were closed for takeoff.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hclee01
Just sharing my experience. I am on commercial J class ticket from HND to SIN a few days ago. My travel companion (*G member) was waitlisted on J class saver award using my miles, and even though the flight was not full, the J class saver award did not clear a week before the flight, despite a couple of "chasers" being sent either through the office in ION Orchard and through the Call Centre. In the end, I redeemed a Standard J class award for my travel companion. I left the waitlist record intact, and even right up to the day of flight, the J saver award did not clear. When i checked online a few days before the flight, they are still allowing waitlist on saver J award online.

The flight was not full as I was on A350 plane in Seat 11A and my travel companion was on 12A, I noticed that the seats besides me (11D and 11F) were empty. In fact, at least 20% or more of the J class seats were not occupied when the doors were closed for takeoff.
So basically what you are saying is, that SQ is not releasing award seats even when there are seat available.. Kinda sucks
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:43 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
So basically what you are saying is, that SQ is not releasing award seats even when there are seat available.. Kinda sucks
I think that's pretty much a given for SQ award space. Empty seats don't get released for waitlisted awards just because it's empty.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by fimo
I think that's pretty much a given for SQ award space. Empty seats don't get released for waitlisted awards just because it's empty.
OK, so if SQ releases award tickets and they get snatched, then you are pretty much SOL? Then why allow people to waitlist for a flight if SQ has no intentions of releasing them?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:29 am

OK, so if SQ releases award tickets and they get snatched, then you are pretty much SOL? Then why allow people to waitlist for a flight if SQ has no intentions of releasing them?
The standard answer which I have received from SQ CSO before was that if someone who has a confirmed award ticket and decides to cancel or change date, the available space will then be allotted to those in the waitlist.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:01 am

Is true!
On our several J & Suites short/long hauls, some of our WL didn't clear even though the flights are not even 50% full.
Hopefully the seat management team is friendlier towards miles geeks in future
Do have to admit that so far roughly 75% of my WL clear eventually.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by terbangalways
Is true!
On our several J & Suites short/long hauls, some of our WL didn't clear even though the flights are not even 50% full.
Hopefully the seat management team is friendlier towards miles geeks in future
Do have to admit that so far roughly 75% of my WL clear eventually.
I get why airlines do this, on the other hand, then why collect miles if you can't use them. One of the bloggers seem to get "lucky" when he waitlist for First/Suits on the JFK-FRA flight...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.