Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

2011 - 2021: How likely are waitlisted awards to clear?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 - 2021: How likely are waitlisted awards to clear?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2018, 4:19 pm

Do you guys have backup plans in case your waitlist does not go through?

I have a wedding that I'm interested in going to in HK. I was thinking of taking a one way first class flight there. However I don't have any points in KF currently so I would need to transfer my points to KF first, and then get waitlisted. Would this be a massive risk to take since the trip isn't that 'flexible'? Not only could I miss the wedding, my points would be stuck in the KF system.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by dunggah
Do you guys have backup plans in case your waitlist does not go through?

I have a wedding that I'm interested in going to in HK. I was thinking of taking a one way first class flight there. However I don't have any points in KF currently so I would need to transfer my points to KF first, and then get waitlisted. Would this be a massive risk to take since the trip isn't that 'flexible'? Not only could I miss the wedding, my points would be stuck in the KF system.
For something as important as a wedding, it would be terribly unwise to pin all your hopes on a waitlist without a plan B.

You could try booking a lower class of service (if available) and waitlisting F. That way you know for sure you’ll be going to HKG and your miles wouldn’t be orphaned.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: SQ, QR, CX, AA, UA
I just asked Singapore to send a chaser for a waitlisted business saver award 20 days out from today. After a long time on hold, the agent returned to tell me that he'd spoken with his higher-up department and that we are not allowed to send a chaser on this because I already have a number of other pending waitlist awards. Never heard of this before. Has anyone encountered such a limit? Aside from the award about which I was calling, I have four other waitlisted business saver awards, spread over a period from three to six months out from today. I have no status with SQ, and generally book 2-4 long-haul SQ award itineraries per year.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HariOm
I just asked Singapore to send a chaser for a waitlisted business saver award 20 days out from today. After a long time on hold, the agent returned to tell me that he'd spoken with his higher-up department and that we are not allowed to send a chaser on this because I already have a number of other pending waitlist awards. Never heard of this before. Has anyone encountered such a limit? Aside from the award about which I was calling, I have four other waitlisted business saver awards, spread over a period from three to six months out from today. I have no status with SQ, and generally book 2-4 long-haul SQ award itineraries per year.
HUCA
Old Sep 21, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: SQ, QR, CX, AA, UA
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
HUCA
Thanks @FlightNurse. HUCA'd. Requested chaser. After maybe eight minutes on hold, she came back and said she'll send the chaser.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:27 pm

I can see saver awards available for 5 of the 6 sectors I want (3 pax ZRH-SIN-MEL in J) and can waitlist the last one.
Does anybody know which is more likely to get me the awards I want?
- Book all 3 pax on the same itinerary (they all have to be waitlisted)
- Confirm 2 pax on saver awards and book the 3rd on a separate waitlisted itinerary

Does the system in any way favour larger bookings where almost all the sectors are already available?

It's not until May 2019 so not super critical as there are plenty of other options for the last SIN-MEL leg that is currently unavailable.

Cheers for any feedback
Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by Leroy87
I can see saver awards available for 5 of the 6 sectors I want (3 pax ZRH-SIN-MEL in J) and can waitlist the last one.
Does anybody know which is more likely to get me the awards I want?
- Book all 3 pax on the same itinerary (they all have to be waitlisted)
- Confirm 2 pax on saver awards and book the 3rd on a separate waitlisted itinerary

Does the system in any way favour larger bookings where almost all the sectors are already available?

It's not until May 2019 so not super critical as there are plenty of other options for the last SIN-MEL leg that is currently unavailable.

Cheers for any feedback
I always book separately if there are some confirmed award seats, and leave the waitlisted seat to the one who has the highest KF tier.

From what I understand, SQ releases waitlisted seats based on FF tier, so if you have 3 people waitlisted, they probably list each individually by who booked first (assuming all have the same status). The danger is that you can likely be bumped off the list very easily if 3 higher tier elites waitlist at a later date. Hence, I always prefer to confirm whatever seats I can as early as possible, then take the chance and waitlist the last person.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by jxshasha
Hello all! Newbie here, seeking experts' advice.

I'm WLed for J class for the following flights up to SFO on October 6, 2018:
1) SQ32: SIN-SFO (direct)
2) SQ2: SIN-HKG-SFO (transit)
3) SQ872: SIN-HKG followed by SQ2: HKG-SFO (transit)

My dates are not flexible as I'm travelling with friends, and we've all booked our leave from 6 to 20 October. It's a belated 30th birthday treat for myself, as I've never taken biz before

I only have enough miles to redeem a single-way J class, so will purchase an economy ticket back to SIN for my return leg

Should I hedge my bet by redeeming Y class saver tix for the same date, which are already available, and call to ask for my WL to be expedited? Am happy to pay the USD30 cancellation fee to guarantee my travel.

Appreciate any help or advice I can get on this. Thank you!
Data point - On T-2, SQ32 has not cleared despite multiple calls and chasers. I'm KF Gold.
Cleared waitlist on SQ872 and SQ2 HKG-SFO, so we'll be taking that instead.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:19 pm

Last weekend I was looking to book SQ 37/38 (LAX-SIN/SIN-LAX) over Thanksgiving and saw availability on both in J. Unfortunately when I went to actually book it later in the day SQ38 only had waitlist availability, but managed to clear the segment the waitlist an hour later. I was able to hold SQ37 in J and SQ38 in PY while waitlisting SQ38 in J all at the same time with no mileage balance. Now the Chase UR transfer on the other hand...
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:48 am

First time SQ waitlister , so any advice appreciated. Waitlisted for New First on A380 from SIN-HKG in NON SAVER First (A Class) . Flight is just over 20 days away and currently shows F4 A0 and 2 seats of 6 assigned. Just read about chasers. Given my scenario, when is the best time to request a chaser - 14 days , 10 days, 7 days ? Does it help that I am waitlisted for NON SAVER space ? Thank you in advance for any advice.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Mister Nice
First time SQ waitlister , so any advice appreciated. Waitlisted for New First on A380 from SIN-HKG in NON SAVER First (A Class) . Flight is just over 20 days away and currently shows F4 A0 and 2 seats of 6 assigned. Just read about chasers. Given my scenario, when is the best time to request a chaser - 14 days , 10 days, 7 days ? Does it help that I am waitlisted for NON SAVER space ? Thank you in advance for any advice.
Technically standard level redemption is more likely to clear than saver level, and F4 seems promising (at least) to me. No hurt to try calling now.
Mister Nice likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by Mister Nice

anyway just take note that there are high chances planes might be swap to the old configuration. For the past two weeks (including today), there are at least 4 days of which the old A380 is being deploy on SQ856
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by sbs2716g

anyway just take note that there are high chances planes might be swap to the old configuration. For the past two weeks (including today), there are at least 4 days of which the old A380 is being deploy on SQ856
thanks for the heads up ! I would be just fine with the old configuration- actually would increase my chances of clearing due to the larger F cabin . Would love to clear and try new F but fine with old F . Confirmed on earlier flight in J (no F service on earlier flights ) so I am “protected” . Just curious , are the flight swaps to the older 380 configuration happening on day of travel or are they occurring in advance ? Thanks !
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Mrs. Gpeso8 had her F wait-list clear for SQ856 about two days out, it was a saver award. This was about a month ago. We weren't following the loads in expertflyer because she was already confirmed in J and it wasn't a big deal for her to be in F. Hope it works out for you
Mister Nice!
Mister Nice likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by gpeso8
Mrs. Gpeso8 had her F wait-list clear for SQ856 about two days out, it was a saver award. This was about a month ago. We weren't following the loads in expertflyer because she was already confirmed in J and it wasn't a big deal for her to be in F. Hope it works out for you
Mister Nice!
THANKS ! I will report back to advise if I clear .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.