FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

SQueeze Mar 12, 2012 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Linkster (Post 18184672)
Hi everyone,

I would like to ask for some opinions on the American Express® Rewards Card..

Seems like it's able to clock up points quite quickly for conversion to miles..

Just wondering how does this card compare to both the Citi Premiermiles and DBS Altitude cards? Is it better?

Please share your comments and/or experiences..

Good only for the 24,000 points welcome bonus (15,000 miles).

Comparable or slightly better for local spending in the first 3 months. After that, Citi Premier and DBS Altitude are better. It's now set aside in my drawer as it doesn't give much in miles anywhere.

AnonymousCoward Mar 12, 2012 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by Linkster (Post 18184672)
I would like to ask for some opinions on the American Express Rewards Card.

Seems like it's able to clock up points quite quickly for conversion to miles..

Just wondering how does this card compare to both the Citi Premiermiles and DBS Altitude cards? Is it better?

Please share your comments and/or experiences..

At the base earning rate you get 1 point/$, but you need 1.6 points to get 1 KF point. That works out to be 0.625 KF points/$. You're relying on the bonus earning rates to get something decent.

By comparison, PremierMiles and Altitude are 1.2 KF points / $1 (at the base rate, and 1.6 KF points / $1 for Altitude for spend > $2000/month)

Awesom Andy Mar 13, 2012 1:27 am

With the Amex Rewards card, if you spend more than $5k per year, and at the 5 favourite places, it gets you 1.25 mile per $1. There is also the xtraordinary weekend offer, with one of the most useful ones being 5x points in Cold Storage - i.e. total of 3.125 miles per $1.

aster Mar 13, 2012 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy (Post 18189551)
With the Amex Rewards card, if you spend more than $5k per year, and at the 5 favourite places, it gets you 1.25 mile per $1. There is also the xtraordinary weekend offer, with one of the most useful ones being 5x points in Cold Storage - i.e. total of 3.125 miles per $1.

And the DBS Altitude AMEX also takes part in this offer. :) ^

aster Mar 13, 2012 7:21 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 18190475)
And the DBS Altitude AMEX also takes part in this offer. :) ^

http://www.dbs.com/sg/personal/cards...l/default.aspx

Linkster Mar 13, 2012 9:36 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet (Post 18187821)
Welcom to FlyerTalk Linkster!

Thanks yosithezet!

After reading through the replies so far, it would make sense for me to stick to my current strategy of DBS Altitude (Primary), Citi Premiermiles (Secondary), Amex Platinum (whenever the merchant gives 5x or 10x points) & Maybank Horizon (all overseas currency transactions).. Am I right?

Awesom Andy Mar 13, 2012 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Linkster (Post 18191566)
Thanks yosithezet!

After reading through the replies so far, it would make sense for me to stick to my current strategy of DBS Altitude (Primary), Citi Premiermiles (Secondary), Amex Platinum (whenever the merchant gives 5x or 10x points) & Maybank Horizon (all overseas currency transactions).. Am I right?

Sounds about right, although you'll need to spend quite a bit a the Amex 10x shops to make the card worth while, as traditionally, it is one of the more difficult cards to have annual fees waived (and it's $300, iirc - someone corrects me if I'm wrong).

And when you say Citi PM as the secondary card, I think you mean that it'll only be used when the merchant does not accept Amex.

I should also add that, if you have the DBS Altitude already, then the Amex Rewards card is completely pointless apart from the sign-up bonus.

Linkster Mar 14, 2012 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy (Post 18192272)
Sounds about right, although you'll need to spend quite a bit a the Amex 10x shops to make the card worth while, as traditionally, it is one of the more difficult cards to have annual fees waived (and it's $300, iirc - someone corrects me if I'm wrong).

And when you say Citi PM as the secondary card, I think you mean that it'll only be used when the merchant does not accept Amex.

I should also add that, if you have the DBS Altitude already, then the Amex Rewards card is completely pointless apart from the sign-up bonus.

Amex invited me to sign up for their Platinum card for free and gave me 3 months of 10x points for all spending, regardless of merchants so I managed to clock up quite a bit of points already..

Ya, you're right.. I'll use Citi PM whenever the DBS Altitude is not accepted..

I think I might just sign up for the Amex Rewards card to give a "final boost" to my KF miles with all the sign up bonus points.. :p

pogreen Mar 14, 2012 11:07 am

Hi Linkster,

How did you manage to get that offer? Did you call up the sales rep directly? I was also deciding between a dbs altitude, treasures black and amex plat but when i spoke to the rep for amex she didn't make me such an offer..

aster Mar 14, 2012 10:23 pm

So far all the direct offers from Amex that I've seen have been good at the very beginning, and then pretty much useless from then onwards. Even if you get a free card from them, how does the cancellation process look like so that you can get rid of that card after a couple of months?

specialeffects Mar 15, 2012 1:04 am

Amex/Citi here and there

Forgive me if it has been already asked. Does Amex/Citi check and take into consideration if you have any cards issued in US? Any pointers will be helpful before I take a plunge;).
Thanks,

deebeecee Mar 15, 2012 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy (Post 18192272)

My suspicion is that for Plat credit card users, Amex keeps an eye on how often you use their privileges.

I rarely do and for the last 2 years have had no trouble getting them to waive my membership fee. (I'm not a massive spender on the Amex)

percysmith Mar 15, 2012 9:08 am

Originally Posted by deebeecee (Post 18204961)
My suspicion is that for Plat credit card users, Amex keeps an eye on how often you use their privileges.

I rarely do and for the last 2 years have had no trouble getting them to waive my membership fee. (I'm not a massive spender on the Amex)

In HK we are told explicitly (by Amex CS) that rebate on annual fee is only contingent on spending.

For Amex Plat Credit (we do not have Edge or Reserve here) HK$80,000 spending in the previous year will get you either $800 supermarket coupons or 160,000 MR points (annual fee $1,600)

For Amex Plat Charge, the above also applies, or HK$200,000 spending will get you $1,000 coupons or 200,000 MR points (annual fee $5,500).

Use of dining discounts, concession golf fee etc not considered.

Linkster Mar 15, 2012 11:40 am

Originally Posted by pogreen (Post 18199705)
Hi Linkster,

How did you manage to get that offer? Did you call up the sales rep directly? I was also deciding between a dbs altitude, treasures black and amex plat but when i spoke to the rep for amex she didn't make me such an offer..

Hi pogreen,

I didn't call up any sales rep.. they just sent me the application form and put on the form that the fees are waived.. then there is another brochure which says that they will give me 10x points for all my spending in the first three months..

adamantine Mar 15, 2012 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Linkster (Post 18199162)
Amex invited me to sign up for their Platinum card for free and gave me 3 months of 10x points for all spending, regardless of merchants so I managed to clock up quite a bit of points already..

Ya, you're right.. I'll use Citi PM whenever the DBS Altitude is not accepted..

I think I might just sign up for the Amex Rewards card to give a "final boost" to my KF miles with all the sign up bonus points.. :p

Do you mean the plat credit card, reserve or charge card?