FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

eriond May 11, 2012 8:16 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 18554904)
2) Good news on the PP front. I take it this allows lounge access regardless of class of travel/airline/etc.? No guess though I take it? :)

3) It would be my first card with them but they told me over the phone that they'd get it to me before I jet over to Euro 2012. I hope they can deliver on this promise...

Also, what are the costs of renewing the card - is there any threshold that offers free renewal by any chance?

No guesting for free. But each supp card holder gets the unlimited PP too, so you may use it to your advantage.

This card has yet to reach it's first anniversary as of now, so no one would be able to give a definite response. Were you enrolled under the 248 or 488 scheme?

aster May 12, 2012 9:22 pm

Does the PP card arrive with the CC, or do you have to wait longer for that?

I'm due to deliver this docs at the beginning of the week after putting the decision off so many times. They're asking $488, what do I need to do to get that down to $248 - turn down the welcome gift?

eriond May 13, 2012 1:35 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 18564172)
Does the PP card arrive with the CC, or do you have to wait longer for that?

I'm due to deliver this docs at the beginning of the week after putting the decision off so many times. They're asking $488, what do I need to do to get that down to $248 - turn down the welcome gift?

You'll have to wait for at least another week after you receive the CC before the PP arrives.

In general, if this is your first card or first banking r/s with them, then it will be $488, but it's still pretty good money for the welcome gift though.

lingua101 May 13, 2012 2:40 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 18542459)
Umm, I don't think so.

Just a quite question: do you work for Citi?

On a site note, anyone use the HSBC Infinite Card? If so are you happy with it? I'm considering applying but would like to know if all the other aspects of the card work out well.

I am. I was one of the invitee. The processing was so slow and takes them a week to process my "top priority" card. Many hiccups and very unhappy because they downgraded the fast track service in Bangkok and to.d me no more such service avail in Bali (whih indeed they are and now the bank acknowledge it).

The limo service to airport which is basically merz taxi may come handy and if you travel alot and stay very far, it may pay off the annual fee.

I stay very near to airport, so my payback will be higher since my airport ride is less than $10 per trip. I need at least 25 trips just yo break event :p:p

lingua101 May 13, 2012 2:48 am

Originally Posted by SMK77 (Post 18542765)
The HSBC Infinite Card provides you with basically unlimited free Mercedes transfers to Changi. Comes in handy if you fly a lot. Booking your limousine is a pain in the ... though. HSBC Call Center and Butler Service are a disgrace for the world's local bank.

What happened. I thought the buttler service is much better now. At least they did not put my arrival as 0100 when the flight arrive at 1300.

As I said they screwed up once telling me fast track is not avail in DPS. Now under investigation. So I am still waiting how they will compensate me (or even if they care to compensate me at the first place). The call centre manager is still calling me to give me update on the few issues I highlighted!

I think should be well-knowned there as the manager told me that when I call back just tell rhem who I am so they will pass the message to her for immediate response. I am yet to try it though :p

mingster23 May 13, 2012 6:42 am

Count me as another disgruntled HSBC Infinite Visa cardholder

Called to book the Haneda Fast Track but was told it was no longer available due to security restrictions - this was 1 month after I got the card late last year. Also, my supp cardholder has rung up for the limo and been told she wasn't allowed to despite nothing in the terms and conditions stating that fact.
Also found the travel and lifestyle service to be useless when I was looking for some biz class fares to YVR ex SIN - thank god for Amex Platinum Travel.
Unless they blow some mind with some retention bonus, I will not be renewing with them.

The annual fee on the Amex may not be cheap but the service is light years ahead so I guess you get what you pay for..

aster May 13, 2012 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by lingua101 (Post 18564981)
The processing was so slow and takes them a week to process my "top priority" card.

Oh crap, I'm heading to Euro 2012 next month, seems like I have enough time to get the CCs but that PP might be a problem...

Is it PP that mails you their cards, or does HSBC deliver them to you?

SingaporeDon May 14, 2012 1:22 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 18568464)

Is it PP that mails you their cards, or does HSBC deliver them to you?

Still waiting for the HSBC Infinite card and Priority Pass, but both the Citibank and DBS Priority Passes were mailed separately from the credit cards - one of them ( I think DBS one) arriving from Proirity Pass's HK Centre

eriond May 14, 2012 6:17 am

Yup, the PP cards are not issued by HSBC. They submit your details to PP for printing and delivery.

May I recommend you to take down the name of the CSO when calling up, such that when you call again to check on the progress, he/she will be able to follow-up instantly instead of having to put you on hold to retrieve and re-read the info on your file?

It also adds that little bit of pressure on the CSO to ensure that your case is indeed under "top priority" as promised.

Awesom Andy May 15, 2012 9:04 am

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon (Post 18569898)
Still waiting for the HSBC Infinite card and Priority Pass, but both the Citibank and DBS Priority Passes were mailed separately from the credit cards - one of them ( I think DBS one) arriving from Proirity Pass's HK Centre

Both the Citi and DBS ones are sent from HKG. However, the DBS one actually states "Hong Kong" on the card, while the Citi one doesn't. I'm guessing that they are dealing with their respective PP reps from different countries/offices.

The card numbers are very different as well. The Citi version has 6+9 numbers, while the DBS has 10+1 numbers, with an actual expiry date printed on it.

Note that I received the 2 cards only 1 month a card, although the Citi one was a renewal.

SingaporeDon May 15, 2012 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy (Post 18578862)
Note that I received the 2 cards only 1 month a card, although the Citi one was a renewal.

The PP hotline does not have any information about how many free visits your card entitles you to, and how many you may have already used up. I guess they will just send a US$27 bill to the credit card issuing bank, who will in turn keep tab of the number of visits you have made, and if they should bill you for visits once you have reached your free visits quota.

So good idea to keep a tab of how many visits you have made to PP using your different PP cards, especially when you have more than one card from different banks!!! I think if you set up an online account at PP, their system lets you keep tab of your visits, but I am not sure about this

chrisksc May 15, 2012 9:00 pm

The UOB PRVI Miles Platinum American Express(R) Card

GET MILES AHEAD ON THE HIGHEST EARN RATE WITH NO MINIMUM SPEND

2.5 miles
1.6 miles
for every$1 spent overseas
for every $1 spent locally

bonus miles every year

Unlimited
airport limousine service

Complimentary
travel insurance

Find out where your spending can take you with the mileage calculator on uobprvimiles.com

To apply, call 1800 352 5222 or
SMS <PRVI> <Name> <NRIC> to 77862 now.

Visit the website for FULL Terms and Conditions.
Looks like the website is not up yet. You can also read it in the advertisement in today's (16 May 2012) copy of The Straits Times' Home section.

SingaporeDon May 15, 2012 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by chrisksc (Post 18582965)
Looks like the website is not up yet. You can also read it in the advertisement in today's (16 May 2012) copy of The Straits Times' Home section.

The "20,000 bonus miles every year" is clearly false advertising. Small print in Straits Times says "only if you spend $50,000 on the card per annum!!!"

At 1.6 miles per S$ spend, this card matches the DBS Altitude Amex and Visa cards, both of which require a $2,000 spend a month before the 1.6 mile kicks in.

As this UOB AMEX card gives 1.6 points from the first dollar, then may be worth going back to this UOB AMEX plus Citi Premier Miles for Visa combo.

vsepr May 15, 2012 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon (Post 18583218)
The "20,000 bonus miles every year" is clearly false advertising. Small print in Straits Times says "only if you spend $50,000 on the card per annum!!!"

At 1.6 miles per S$ spend, this card matches the DBS Altitude Amex and Visa cards, both of which require a $2,000 spend a month before the 1.6 mile kicks in.

As this UOB AMEX card gives 1.6 points from the first dollar, then may be worth going back to this UOB AMEX plus Citi Premier Miles for Visa combo.

HUGE turn off for UOB & DBS: Each conversion must be in blocks of 10,000 miles. (UNI$5000)

Awarded for every $5 spent. Need to consider the rounding off part.

Say charge S$9.90. CitiPremiermiles u earn 9x1.2=10.8 miles. UOB PRVI Miles Platinum American Express® Card u earn 4 UNI$= 8 miles!!

Unless you are able to charge in multiples of S$5 every time, or you will lose out because of the rounding off part. Say charge exactly S$10, Citi PM u get 12 miles, UOB PRVI u earn 16 miles!

If you do not create that 10,000 miles block, basically you are not earning any miles. BUT, this card is good for earning points to exchange for vouchers. For Isetan S$50 voucher, you need UNI$3060 = spend S$3825, equivalent to 1.3% rebate, similar to Citi PM at 1.2% (Every 1000 miles or S$833 spent = S$10)

chrisksc May 15, 2012 11:18 pm

Well, I won't say it is false advertising since they did reference it to a footnote indicating the requirement.:)

Yes, 1.6 miles from the 1st $1 for local spend is the best so far. :-:

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 18583402)
HUGE turn off for UOB & DBS: Each conversion must be in blocks of 10,000 miles. (UNI$5000)

Awarded for every $5 spent. Need to consider the rounding off part.

Say charge S$9.90. CitiPremiermiles u earn 9x1.2=10.8 miles. UOB PRVI Miles Platinum American Express® Card u earn 4 UNI$= 8 miles!!

Unless you are able to charge in multiples of S$5 every time, or you will lose out because of the rounding off part. Say charge exactly S$10, Citi PM u get 12 miles, UOB PRVI u earn 16 miles!

If you do not create that 10,000 miles block, basically you are not earning any miles.

Yes, good points to highlight. So I guess what this means is we will have to have multiple cards for multiple senarios to maximise the spend/earn ratio.:p

Also, don't forget that it being an Amex, it has limited merchants acceptance and the 24 months expiration of UNI$.:td:

Overall, I think the UOB PRVI Plat Amex it is a good card to consider. I have just applied over the phone and has been approved for it. :cool:

The card will arrive only next week and the 1st year annual fee is waived.^