FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

Awesom Andy Apr 5, 12 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 18343261)
Has anyone seen any signup promo for DBS Altitude lately? Since moving to SIN 15+ months ago, I've been holding back from applying to DBS Altitude because there doesn't seem to be any compelling signup bonus on its website.

I would probably wait for the Visa Signature version to be officially launched, which I think would be the best chance if any promos are to happen.

I'm still waiting for my card although I've been assured the application is being processed.

eriond Apr 5, 12 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by tycosiao (Post 18342007)
I believe that NTUC Fairprice Xtra and finest accept Amex.

HSBC infinite card requires some building up for spending.

As for now, its $1/mile for local spending and $1/2miles for overseas spending.

Once spending its $75,000 the ratio becomes $1/1.5 miles for local spending and $1/2.5miles for overseas.

As some had stated, it is still lousier than DBS Altitude even with the revised mileage earning after racking up $75,000.

Yup, Xtra and Finest accept Amex.

One benefit of the HSBC VI is that there is absolutely zero rounding error to the points. You get awarded HSBC points for every single CENT that you spend.

aster Apr 6, 12 10:35 pm

Thanks tycosiao/eriond, I see that you need to spend 75k in your first year to then get 1.5x miles in year #2. I agree that it's not very compelling compared to the Altitude card.

As for Fairprice, that seems about right with a few exceptions. The one at Killiney Road accepts AMEX, even though it's just a regular Fairprice supermarket.

SingaporeDon Apr 11, 12 8:05 am

Canceil Citi Premier Miles & DBS Altitudes AMEX, replace with new DBS Altitude Visa??

Cancel (oops!!) Citi Premier Miles & DBS Altitudes AMEX, replace with new DBS Altitude Visa?

aster, time to update the first post with launch of the the new DBS Altitude Visa card and the change in threshold for both the new DBS Altitude Visa and the new DBS Altitude Amex card to $2,000 spend to jump from 1.2 miles per dollar spend to 1.6 miles!!

I wonder if I should can the Citi Premier miles Visa and the DBS Altitude AMEX cards now, and consolidate all spending into the new DBS Altitude Visa?

On a separate note. the new HSBC Infinite Visa card offers PriorityPass (with no payment for ANY number of visits in a year) to ALL supplementary cardholders in addition to the main card holder. The HSBC Premier hotline was willing to take supplementary applications for 5 or 6 supplementary cardholders.

Compare this with the DBS Altitude Visa card's offer for PriorityPass, which I understand is limited to two free visits ONLY per annum for the MAIN cardholder only. Main and supplementary cardholders can buy the the Priority Pass Prestige membership for unlimited free access to lounges for US$299 for first year, then US399 per person.

carrotjuice Apr 11, 12 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy (Post 18343895)
I would probably wait for the Visa Signature version to be officially launched, which I think would be the best chance if any promos are to happen.

I'm still waiting for my card although I've been assured the application is being processed.

This seems to be the 'current' promo:
APPLY NOW and earn up to 2.5 miles per S$1 spend!
From 22 Mar to 30 Jun 2012, the first 500 Cardmembers to charge S$8,000 to their Altitude Visa Signature Card will receive 8,000 bonus miles.

Don't you just HATE such tricks that banks play? You never know at the time of applying whether 500 people have already met the criterion and thus whether you should still go ahead and participate. And when you ask them they'll never be able to tell you since the data sweep to tally which cardholders have qualified would likely be done only after the promo period ends. :mad:

Awesom Andy Apr 11, 12 9:16 am

Just for records, the DBS website link is now live: http://www.dbs.com/sg/personal/cards...e/default.aspx

Apparently, there is also Feed at Raffles membership with the Visa version of the card, with the current promotion of: "Sign up for DBS Altitude Visa Signature Card and receive the Feed at Raffles Classic Membership package which includes a bottle of Laurent Perrier Brut champagne worth S$468!* "
Never worked out what the * means though.

There's also a complimentary priority pass membership, for 2 free visits a year (same as Citi PM).

All other benefits appear to be the same as the Amex version, with the exception of Amex and Visa Signature specific promotions.

There are also a few vouchers with the pack I received.

Linkster Apr 11, 12 9:36 am

one question regarding DBS Altitude Amex vs DBS Altitude Visa:

if i have already clocked up some points with the Amex card, would these points be combined with those that i will earn with the Visa card (if i were to apply for it)?

one question regarding DBS Altitude Visa vs Citibank PremierMiles:

does it mean that the PremierMiles card is no longer useful now since the problem of merchants not accepting Amex has been eliminated with the introduction of the Visa version of the Altitude card?

eriond Apr 11, 12 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Linkster (Post 18372717)
if i have already clocked up some points with the Amex card, would these points be combined with those that i will earn with the Visa card (if i were to apply for it)?

does it mean that the PremierMiles card is no longer useful now since the problem of merchants not accepting Amex has been eliminated with the introduction of the Visa version of the Altitude card?

1) DBS Points earned on all DBS Credit Cards under the same main cardholder are automatically consolidated. So you should be fine.

2) Altitude Visa will be better only if you consistently spend above $2,000 per month. Do note that Citi rounds down to the closest S$1 while DBS rounds down to the closest S$5 in terms of awarding points.

Awesom Andy Apr 12, 12 9:31 am

Originally Posted by eriond (Post 18373597)
2) Altitude Visa will be better only if you consistently spend above $2,000 per month. Do note that Citi rounds down to the closest S$1 while DBS rounds down to the closest S$5 in terms of awarding points.

Or at least have some months where you spendings are much higher than $2k, while other months, perhaps hardly any use.

If you consistently have small transactions, with monthly amounts <$2k, you are better off technically if you only redeem once a year.

e.g. my monthly spend is approx $700 each month, augmented by months with $4k+. It also happens that most of the places I use my card don't accept Amex. Anyway, for most months, I wouldn't receive any benefits with the new card - in fact, slightly less miles than the Citi PM card. However, for the few special months, I would gain quite a bit more.

To be honest though, if I'm better at planning my expenses to the monthly cycles, it's probably more attractive with StanChart's Manhattan offering up to 5% cash back in those certain months where I spend $4k, but that has nothing to do with flying/earning miles. :o

Linkster Apr 12, 12 10:43 am

Originally Posted by eriond (Post 18373597)

just as a matter of interest, would the "gain" of 0.4miles (1.6 miles vs 1.2miles) be enough to cover the "loss" of the rounding off effect (closest S$1 vs closest S$5)? (assuming i spent above S$2000 per month)

percysmith Apr 12, 12 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Linkster (Post 18379907)
just as a matter of interest, would the "gain" of 0.4miles (1.6 miles vs 1.2miles) be enough to cover the "loss" of the rounding off effect (closest S$1 vs closest S$5)? (assuming i spent above S$2000 per month)

No

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 18109165)
If 1.6 mile/S$ only kicks in at S$2,000, then my breakeven point for using Altitude over Premiermiles is S$2,450. Not such a clear cut winner now.

Linkster Apr 12, 12 10:58 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 18379954)
...breakeven point for using Altitude over Premiermiles is S$2,450...

thanks, percysmith!

S$2,450 shall be the magic number! :D

adamantine Apr 12, 12 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 18379954)
No

u are wrong. it can cover over and above the conversion, assuming your items are at least above $15 each swipe. at that amount, $19 is rounded to $15 = 24 miles, which is higher than $19 = 22 miles on your citi pm.

any amount higher than that and the difference would be even greater.

percysmith Apr 12, 12 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by adamantine (Post 18382872)
u are wrong. it can cover over and above the conversion, assuming your items are at least above $15 each swipe. at that amount, $19 is rounded to $15 = 24 miles, which is higher than $19 = 22 miles on your citi pm.

any amount higher than that and the difference would be even greater.

I don't quite follow your challenge.

Assuming I did the 45 transactions per month I originally forecasted in my original calculation

Citi PM: 45 txn x $19 x 1.2 = 1,026 miles
DBS Altitude: 45 txn x $15 (rounded down to nearest $5) x 1.2 (I'm only spending 45 x $19 = $855 a month so 1.6 earn rate does not kick in) = 810 miles?

My $2,450 breakeven point is derived by solving for spending point y

1.2y = (y - 2,000)x1.6 + 2000x1.2 - 45 txn x 1.6 x $2.5 avg rounding down per txn

You can increase the rounding down to $4 and get $2,720 breakeven point.

adamantine Apr 12, 12 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 18383133)
I don't quite follow your challenge.

Assuming I did the 45 transactions per month I originally forecasted in my original calculation

Citi PM: 45 txn x $19 x 1.2 = 1,026 miles
DBS Altitude: 45 txn x $15 (rounded down to nearest $5) x 1.2 (I'm only spending 45 x $19 = $855 a month so 1.6 earn rate does not kick in) = 810 miles?

My $2,450 breakeven point is derived by solving for spending point y

1.2y = (y - 2,000)x1.6 + 2000x1.2 - 45 txn x 1.6 x $2.5 avg rounding down per txn

You can increase the rounding down to $4 and get $2,720 breakeven point.

oh my calculation was with the assumption that it was over $2000 for both cards already.. I thought the other poster was asking this question.