FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

aster Apr 6, 13 11:42 am

Originally Posted by SQueeze (Post 20545471)
What do you mean 'not online'
The 4 miles/$ applies to online transactions except for the selected merchant categories in the T&C

What I meant is that the merchant-code restrictions don't make this a particularly good card to use online as you do not get the points bonus for booking flights or hotels (or insurance or taxes). So basically just good for online stores.

As mentioned this card stands out due to the phenomenal 4 miles/$ ratio for using the paywave feature. Here we were lamenting the fact that there used to be this great card in the past that offered 2 miles/$ but was unfortunately pulled by the bank... and then *wham*, UOB suddenly shows up with one offering 4 miles/$ as long as you use paywave.

Sounds too good to be true in the long run I reckon, but you just gotta take advantage of this while it lasts. :)

xinmpg Apr 7, 13 3:47 am

Visa is really going all out to promote pay wave it seems. I've see. Quite a few promotions in Singapore if you use Paywave. One for example is $1 off at Starbucks per order. That's 15-20% off depending what you drink, and then another 10% on top of that if its a Citi card.

vsepr Apr 7, 13 6:30 am

https://sg.anz.com/apps/anz-travel-c...iles-partners/

New promotion from ANZ Travel Card Singapore!!

Plan your holidays with the ANZ Travel Visa Signature Credit Card and earn 2.8 air miles* for every S$1 spent at selected partners, direct flight bookings with airlines or your purchases in Australia and New Zealand.

3 ways to earn 2.8 air miles* for every S$1 spent

Shop at these selected partners
Asiatravel.com
Misatravel.com
Zuji.com
Hotels.com
Hotelsclub.com
Agoda.com
Roomkey.com
Asiarooms.com
Booking.com
Avis
Cold Wear
Hertz
Planet Traveller
Samsonite
Winter Time
Australia International School in Singapore
Book direct flight bookings with any airline

Spend on your ANZ Travel Visa Signature Credit Card in Australia and New Zealand

* Open to new Principal Cardmembers who successfully apply for an ANZ Travel Visa Signature Credit Card. All applications must be approved by the Bank by 28 February 2014. The maximum number of Travel$ which can be awarded under the Promotion will be limited to 14,000 Travel$ per Principal Cardmember per calendar month. Approved Cardmembers with any retail spend in participating partners and/or merchants before 31 March 2014, including overseas spend in Australia and New Zealand, will be eligible to receive 2.8 air miles per S$1 equivalent of retail spend. 1 Travel$ = 1 air mile.

Archieflyer Apr 7, 13 7:08 am

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 20550186)
https://sg.anz.com/apps/anz-travel-c...iles-partners/

New promotion from ANZ Travel Card Singapore!!

Plan your holidays with the ANZ Travel Visa Signature Credit Card and earn 2.8 air miles* for every S$1 spent at selected partners, direct flight bookings with airlines or your purchases in Australia and New Zealand.

3 ways to earn 2.8 air miles* for every S$1 spent

Shop at these selected partners
Asiatravel.com
Misatravel.com
Zuji.com
Hotels.com
Hotelsclub.com
Agoda.com
Roomkey.com
Asiarooms.com
Booking.com
Avis
Cold Wear
Hertz
Planet Traveller
Samsonite
Winter Time
Australia International School in Singapore
Book direct flight bookings with any airline

Spend on your ANZ Travel Visa Signature Credit Card in Australia and New Zealand

* Open to new Principal Cardmembers who successfully apply for an ANZ Travel Visa Signature Credit Card. All applications must be approved by the Bank by 28 February 2014. The maximum number of Travel$ which can be awarded under the Promotion will be limited to 14,000 Travel$ per Principal Cardmember per calendar month. Approved Cardmembers with any retail spend in participating partners and/or merchants before 31 March 2014, including overseas spend in Australia and New Zealand, will be eligible to receive 2.8 air miles per S$1 equivalent of retail spend. 1 Travel$ = 1 air mile.

Lol, ANZ really does like to screw their existing card holders...

Looks like it's time to empty the miles from the account and cancel the card. Reapply again in October to enjoy this promo for December holidays... :p

aster Apr 7, 13 9:26 am

I hate it when banks offer these offers to new cardmembers only. Kind of like special interest rates just for "new funds."

demue Apr 8, 13 6:36 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 20550689)
I hate it when banks offer these offers to new cardmembers only. Kind of like special interest rates just for "new funds."

+1. Drives me mad and makes me livid. I really can't understand how moronic their marketing folks must be (applies to other banks, telcos, etc. too).

You got existing customers and put them in a worse position and new guy just dropping buy. It costs yo so much more and a credit card is easily cancelled. Use scoring and go by CLV (Customer Lifetime Value) if you must and you can tailor the promos differently, but no they just screw existing cardholders. Probably get paid bonus by number of new signups and no ones bothers to analyse retention? :confused:

Oh well, rant over. :D

aster Apr 9, 13 5:06 am

Originally Posted by demue (Post 20555166)
+1. Drives me mad and makes me livid. I really can't understand how moronic their marketing folks must be (applies to other banks, telcos, etc. too).

Airlines and their FFPs are just as bad if not worse. BA and LH both require(d) more miles flown from residents of their own countries than others to reach status. LH even went a step further by launching a family mileage program... but offering it only to residents of the Middle East: http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...d=1905951&l=en :rolleyes:

tboons Apr 10, 13 8:15 am

use Maybank for my travel needs and foreign currency is $1=2miles.

UOB visa paywave for online....

Others goes to the AMEX card...

aster Apr 10, 13 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by tboons (Post 20567495)

Can you run that by me again? :cool:

vsepr Apr 10, 13 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by tboons (Post 20567495)
use Maybank for my travel needs and foreign currency is $1=2miles.

Others goes to the AMEX card...

Maybank Horizon VISA is good for overseas spend if you are a Rewards Infinite member because points do not expire. Otherwise the expiry date for your points is either on 30 June or 31 December of the same year plus the need to create blocks of 500 miles.

Use Citi PremierMiles for overseas spend if you are not a Maybank Rewards Infinite member. No expiry. S$1=2 miles. No blocks of 500 miles. Only downside is rounding down per S$1.

carrotjuice Apr 11, 13 1:31 am

The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread

Email from UOB today:

25% More UNI$ Promotion: Promotion is from 10 Apr to 31 Dec 2013 (inclusive) and is applicable for Principal credit cards earning UNI$ only. Promotion is split into 3 quarters for accrual of spend, starting from Apr - Jun, Jul - Sep and Oct - Dec 2013. Valid with a minimum spend of S$1,000 in each calendar month for 3 consecutive calendar months in each quarter. 25% more UNI$ is calculated based on the base rate of UNI$1 earned for every S$5 spent using the registered credit card during each quarter. 25% more UNI$ is subject to a maximum cap of UNI$250 awarded per quarter per registered credit card account.

Am I interpreting correctly that this means 0.2 UNI$ (0.4 mile) more per S$1 up to a max of 250 UNI$ (500 miles) - which means only applies to max spend of S$1,250 per QUARTER?

vsepr Apr 11, 13 2:00 am

My interpretation:
Normal: UNI$1 for every $5 spent. 3 consecutive calendar months, each month spend minimum $1000 => spend total $3000, gives UNI$600. So for that quarter, you get 25% bonus, means you get UNI$150 extra. Total you get UNI$750.

Maximum cap of UNI$250 per quarter means each for that 3 months, you can maximum spend $5000.

This is based on assumption that you charge in multiples of $5 per transaction. If you have spending <$5 (do not earn any UNI$) or not in multiples of $5, it is very hard to calculate the number of miles earn for every $1.

Also, how about transactions on AMEX PRVI Miles and Preferred AMEX that earn 2x, 4x, 6.25x, 5x and 10x for every $5? Does the 25% bonus calculate the same way? If so, the bonus given out due to the cap of UNI$250 is very little. Because if every $5 you get UNI$10, 25% more is a lot.

Better to call UOB Card Centre up and get them to explain to you how it works for the AMEX cards that earn up to 10x UNI$.

Anyway, the answer is here: http://www.uob.com.sg/25years/pdfs/t...dollar-tnc.pdf

the Award is strictly calculated using the base rate of UNI$1 earned for every $5 worth of
Transactions charged to the Eligible Card account (“Base UNI$ Rate”). For the avoidance of doubt,
the Base UNI$ Rate will be used to calculate the amount of the Award, regardless of the different
types and UNI$ earn rate for each Eligible Card
and excludes UNI$ earned via any other UNI$
promotion which may apply and/or be implemented by UOB from time to time during the
Qualifying Period;

carrotjuice Apr 11, 13 2:07 am

It's not an issue for me to spend S$1,000+ every month since PRVI Miles is my main card anyway, but isn't 500 max miles every QUARTER a bit pathetic for so called "25 years celebration"? ;)

And it's only applicable to one UOB card even if you have multiple cards...

vsepr Apr 11, 13 2:18 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 20572467)
It's not an issue for me to spend S$1,000+ every month since PRVI Miles is my main card anyway, but isn't 500 max miles every QUARTER a bit pathetic for so called "25 years celebration"? ;)

And it's only applicable to one UOB card even if you have multiple cards...

Exactly!! If you registered with your AMEX PRVI Miles card, say all spending earn 4x UNI$. The cap of UNI$250 per quarter based on each S$5 spent get 4 UNI$ is very little. Say each month you spent exactly $1000 and each transaction is exactly in multiples of $5. So for 1 quarter you will earn UNI$2400. You get only UNI$150 bonus. So total UNI$ you get is UNI$2550 for spending $3000. That works out to: 1.7miles/S$1. (If every charge is exactly in multiples of $5)

Archieflyer Apr 11, 13 2:45 am

I think this line "25% more UNI$ is calculated based on the base rate of UNI$1 earned for every S$5 spent using the registered credit card during each quarter." means that the 25% bonus is only on the base rate earned (ie excludes the 4x, 10x bonus that some of the cards give).

So what this adds to is actually a 0.1 mile/$ more that what you would normally earn (0.25 UNI$ /$5 = 0.5 miles/$5 = 0.1 mile/$1).

The 250 UNI$ cap translate to $5k spending a quarter.

Overall, the bonus is hardly attractive enough to change my charging patterns but given that I already use the PRVI Miles card as a main card, it's free miles for doing what I normally do. However, the T&Cs seems to indicate that only spending on the principle card qualifies which may then be a problem.

One alternative would be to tie this to the Preferred Platinum Visa, and to make up the $1k spending by 'dumping' into my Singtel account. However, it sounds like too much trouble for very little returns...