FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

aster Feb 28, 2012 9:45 am

Originally Posted by cmdsea (Post 18064968)
I also reported them to the Monetary Authority of Singapore, under Part II here as they have clearly breached the ABS code of practice http://www.moneysense.gov.sg/dispute...esolution.html

Advertising standards are very poor in Singapore.

Just look at what the telecoms companies get away with, such as giving you free incoming calls (which in reality you will only get if you select to be automatically charged like 70 cents a day - this of course they forget to mention) or calls at X cents (turns out this is just the off-peak rate - but of course this isn't mentioned in the ad either).

tycosiao Feb 28, 2012 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by SQ325 (Post 18095713)
According to their latest brochure it is 80.000 sgd. I dont if it was lower before.

It has always been $80,000 since this card was launched.

Originally Posted by aster (Post 18096888)
Advertising standards are very poor in Singapore.

Just look at what the telecoms companies get away with, such as giving you free incoming calls (which in reality you will only get if you select to be automatically charged like 70 cents a day - this of course they forget to mention) or calls at X cents (turns out this is just the off-peak rate - but of course this isn't mentioned in the ad either).

I agree, if you look, they slap you with an "invitation to treat" with a very tempting offer but once you refer to the t&c, its a whole load of BS.

Awesom Andy Feb 29, 2012 3:10 am

Originally Posted by tycosiao (Post 18100629)
It has always been $80,000 since this card was launched.

Although I know of people earning <40% of this income "requirement" holding the card as a primary card holder.

aster Feb 29, 2012 5:51 am

I'm sure the can bend the rules, though on a side note there are legal limits imposed on the credit limit that customers can be given.

For those who earn below S$10,000/mth, the maximum limit is 4x their salary. For those who earn more this legal limit does not apply and the bank can give (much) more at their own discretion.

AnonymousCoward Feb 29, 2012 10:43 pm

DBS has just changed their points earning structure. From April 2012 it's only 1.6 points after the first $2000 spend (previously $1000).

Love how they can change the T&C at such short notice. I wonder if you are entitled to ask for a refund of the annual fee if you cancel because of this (or other changes)

aster Mar 1, 2012 3:01 am

Yeah, they're taking a step back with this.

Of course it doesn't help when they have no competition any more, with other banks giving up the chase to edge out in front with the best card for mileage-accrual.

percysmith Mar 1, 2012 4:27 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 16616277)
The loss can be quantified and I have already done so that.

Say you run 45 Amex transactions a month (I did in April 2011), your loss from rounding down is 45 x 2.5 (average of rounding down) x 1.6 (earn rate) = 180 miles a month.

If I spend $1,450 I already earn back the rounding down from Citi. Any spending after that is pure profit. YMMV on whether you run more or less than 45 Amex transactions a month or not.

If 1.6 mile/S$ only kicks in at S$2,000, then my breakeven point for using Altitude over Premiermiles is S$2,450. Not such a clear cut winner now.

SMK77 Mar 1, 2012 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet (Post 18034156)
GUP, 50% redemptions, 2 years gold for 50K miles. Much better than KF IMO.

You cannot buy or easily top up miles and redemptions are ways to expensive. Threshold for reaching Gold is ways too high compared to A3 or BD or OZ.

yosithezet Mar 1, 2012 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by SMK77 (Post 18114720)
You cannot buy or easily top up miles and redemptions are ways to expensive. Threshold for reaching Gold is ways too high compared to A3 or BD or OZ.

Which of this programs can you put miles into from a Singapore CC? BD is also 50k to qualify first time but gets you 1 years of Gold. After that 38k while TG is effectively 40k (80k over two years).

adamantine Mar 3, 2012 7:40 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 18108987)
Yeah, they're taking a step back with this.

Of course it doesn't help when they have no competition any more, with other banks giving up the chase to edge out in front with the best card for mileage-accrual.

yea they know that they have no clear competition on this. I hope citi pm can come back with tiered mileage earnings and whoop their .....

Awesom Andy Mar 3, 2012 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by adamantine (Post 18124406)
I hope citi pm can come back with tiered mileage earnings and whoop their .....

I would think that's unlikely, since the bank gets less of a cut with visa than amex from retailers.

vsepr Mar 3, 2012 8:32 pm

Should boycott DBS Altitude card from now...

Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward (Post 18108351)
DBS has just changed their points earning structure. From April 2012 it's only 1.6 points after the first $2000 spend (previously $1000).

Love how they can change the T&C at such short notice. I wonder if you are entitled to ask for a refund of the annual fee if you cancel because of this (or other changes)

So this is how DBS rewards your loyalty...by changing the award structure to minimum $2000 spend so that it is harder for you to earn the bonus miles.

On top of that, they also increase the transfer requirement to in blocks of 4000 KrisFlyer miles (2000 DBS Points)instead of 2000 KrisFlyer miles (1000 DBS Points), making it harder for you to create that block to transfer the miles.

Please boycott DBS Altitude Card and switch to Citi Premiermiles card!

aster Mar 3, 2012 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 18128945)
So this is how DBS rewards your loyalty...by changing the award structure to minimum $2000 spend so that it is harder for you to earn the bonus miles.

On top of that, they also increase the transfer requirement to in blocks of 4000 KrisFlyer miles (2000 DBS Points)instead of 2000 KrisFlyer miles (1000 DBS Points), making it harder for you to create that block to transfer the miles.

Please boycott DBS Altitude Card and switch to Citi Premiermiles card!

Too funny, let's boycott DBS even though Citi was the first to lower its redemption ratio? Citi used to give 1.6 for higher spend, but they chickened out and are back down to 1.2.

DBS now gives 1.2 for first 2k spend (used to be for first 1k), and then 1.6 thereafter.

Citi will only be competitive if you don't spend a lot on your CC (under 2-2.5k), otherwise they will lose out to DBS each time. You want to promote Citi? Let's see them raise their ratio to what it was before.

Old news about the conversion (you posted the same stuff back in July), and who cares since your points never expire?

adamantine Mar 4, 2012 3:15 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 18129299)
Too funny, let's boycott DBS even though Citi was the first to lower its redemption ratio? Citi used to give 1.6 for higher spend, but they chickened out and are back down to 1.2.

DBS now gives 1.2 for first 2k spend (used to be for first 1k), and then 1.6 thereafter.

Citi will only be competitive if you don't spend a lot on your CC (under 2-2.5k), otherwise they will lose out to DBS each time. You want to promote Citi? Let's see them raise their ratio to what it was before.

Old news about the conversion (you posted the same stuff back in July), and who cares since your points never expire?

actually citi used to give 2 pts above $4k spend.

But i will still use both cards, dbs if i am going to spend alot in that month or for bills in denominations of $5. citi pm for everything else.

aster Mar 4, 2012 8:12 pm

You're right, it used to be 2 miles above $4k, but back down to 1.2 on everything now.

Worse still, they will no longer issue new Platinum cards which were their best product for mileage-accrual IMO, giving you a nice points bonus across supermarkets and department stores. :td: