FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

lizban Mar 8, 2012 10:57 am

Are there any cards that are open to UK residents? All suggestions really welcomed!

aster Mar 9, 2012 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by lizban (Post 18160694)
Are there any cards that are open to UK residents? All suggestions really welcomed!

Debit cards - yes. Credit cards - no.

You might be able to get one though if you put up enough "collateral" and have some decent funds/investments with a bank here.

vsepr Mar 10, 2012 4:38 am

Revamped Citibank Clear Platinum Card

http://www.citibank.com.sg/gcb/credi...de=SGCCWARB2LM

5X Rewards* at your favourite outlets:

Nightspots - Zouk, Butter Factory, Helipad, Brewerkz, St James Power Station and more
Cinemas - Cathay, Golden Village, Shaw, Eng Wah and more
Cafes - Starbucks, The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf ®, TCC, Spinelli, Coffee Club and more
Online Shopping – Amazon.com, iTunes, ASOS, Gmarket SG and more

No more bookstores!

luv_flying Mar 10, 2012 8:44 am

online shopping! Was it there all along or newly added?

pogreen Mar 10, 2012 9:44 am

DBS Altitude or DBS Treasures Black Elite

Hi Guys,

Am looking to get another card to supplement my current Citi Plat. Saw the debate here on Citi Premier vs DBS Altitude. With my current expenditure I think it may be more worth while for me to get the Altitude.

However, I'm not sure whether I should go for the Altitude or the DBS Treasures Black Elite - any suggestions or comments?

As an aside, I am also planning on the Maybank Horizon for overseas spending (that is the way it should be..right?)

dannyrado Mar 10, 2012 11:51 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 18170613)
Debit cards - yes. Credit cards - no.

You might be able to get one though if you put up enough "collateral" and have some decent funds/investments with a bank here.

What's the debit card?

vsepr Mar 10, 2012 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by luv_flying (Post 18172989)
online shopping! Was it there all along or newly added?

Newly added wef 09 March 2012.

The bookstores is removed.

aster Mar 10, 2012 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by pogreen (Post 18173336)
I think it may be more worth while for me to get the Altitude.

However, I'm not sure whether I should go for the Altitude or the DBS Treasures Black Elite - any suggestions or comments?

As an aside, I am also planning on the Maybank Horizon for overseas spending (that is the way it should be..right?)

http://www.dbs.com/treasures/sg/excl...s/default.aspx

The DBS Treasures Black Elite card already gives you double points for overseas spend, so no need to get the Maybank one as well. :)

What Maybank is good for though is their Rewards Infinite program for their Platinum cards, where you get something like 4 miles per $ for a number of various restaurants, including the Crystal Jade chain (I happen to visit them twice a week on average).

pogreen Mar 10, 2012 9:32 pm

Hi aster,

Point noted. So between the Treasures Black Elite and the Altitude which one would you recommend?

I'm still very envious of all the people living in the US though! Credit cards there have such good/huge bonuses it's so crazy!

percysmith Mar 11, 2012 3:22 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Re DBS treasures black elite:

Are the following true?

1. It's local earn rate is 1.2 mile per S$, same as premiermiles

2. It's earn rates are expressed as 3 points per s$5, so the same rounding down rules apply on the treasures black elite as with the altitude?

3. So the only reason anyone would want the treasures black elite over the altitude is if their overseas spend is relatively high (2.4 miles per s$ rounded down to nearest S$5)?

aster Mar 12, 2012 8:17 am

Originally Posted by pogreen (Post 18176406)
Hi aster,

Point noted. So between the Treasures Black Elite and the Altitude which one would you recommend?

I'm still very envious of all the people living in the US though! Credit cards there have such good/huge bonuses it's so crazy!

For spend in Singapore it depends on how much you will be charging to your card monthly. Up to S$2k it will be the same, but if you charge more then the Altitude card goes into 6th gear and gives 1.6 miles/$ for spend >2k.

For spend abroad it's the Treasures card that gives double miles, nothing extra from Altitude at present (though I do recall they had a promo earlier where they gave more for spend abroad).

aster Mar 12, 2012 8:24 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 18179967)
Re DBS treasures black elite:

Are the following true?

1. It's local earn rate is 1.2 mile per S$, same as premiermiles

2. It's earn rates are expressed as 3 points per s$5, so the same rounding down rules apply on the treasures black elite as with the altitude?

3. So the only reason anyone would want the treasures black elite over the altitude is if their overseas spend is relatively high (2.4 miles per s$ rounded down to nearest S$5)?

1. Yes

2. Yes, for every $5 spent you get 3 points. Points can be converted into miles where you get 2 miles for every point. Hence 3 points = 6 miles = 1.2 miles/$.

3. Pretty much. If you're into certain stores then there are even more miles up for grabs (16 miles for every $5 spent):
http://www.dbs.com/treasures/sg/excl...g/default.aspx

There will be other benefits associated with the Treasures status as it's not just about the card.

Linkster Mar 12, 2012 10:37 am

Hi everyone,

I would like to ask for some opinions on the American Express® Rewards Card..

Seems like it's able to clock up points quite quickly for conversion to miles..

Just wondering how does this card compare to both the Citi Premiermiles and DBS Altitude cards? Is it better?

Please share your comments and/or experiences..

eriond Mar 12, 2012 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Linkster (Post 18184672)
Hi everyone,

I would like to ask for some opinions on the American Express® Rewards Card..

Seems like it's able to clock up points quite quickly for conversion to miles..

Just wondering how does this card compare to both the Citi Premiermiles and DBS Altitude cards? Is it better?

Please share your comments and/or experiences..

If you exceed S$5k expenditure, it earns you 1.5pts/$1, approx = 1mile/$1.
Don't think that's very good.

yosithezet Mar 12, 2012 6:27 pm

Welcom to FlyerTalk Linkster!