FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

enelym1978 Mar 22, 2012 9:58 pm

After spending nearly 7 months here in Singapore and looking at my spending pattern, I am rethinking a bit my options... not that I have tons of CC at the moment anyway haha.

Here is what I have and what I do with them:

- AmEx KF Gold: main card. I basically charge everything on there as long as the merchant takes AmEx
- UOB Visa One: back up card, used only with merchants who don't take AmEx.

I charge roughly $1500-2500 each month on both cards (combined) with quite some overseas charges too. I travel at least twice a month but do not get to use my AmEx to book my SQ flights as they are done through company TA.

Now... I am reconsidering my VISA... I want to cancel it and take the Maybank Horizon Platinum Visa instead. Just because it will give me some miles as well. I tried the Citi PM but got denied... never knew why...

I also want one MasterCard (for discount reasons, special deals with MC only, such as Starwood specials) and I would go for the UOB Preferred World MC...

The MC doesn't really matter, as I would just "need" it for specific cases.

But I think the Maybank Visa would be good enough for me as secondary card.

Any thoughts? Oh and obviously, my main goal is to maximize KF miles, without going all crazy with cards though. I don't want more than one AX, one VA and one MC. I have enough stuff in my wallet already :D

SQueeze Mar 23, 2012 1:31 am

Originally Posted by enelym1978 (Post 18255223)
After spending nearly 7 months here in Singapore and looking at my spending pattern, I am rethinking a bit my options... not that I have tons of CC at the moment anyway haha.

Here is what I have and what I do with them:

- AmEx KF Gold: main card. I basically charge everything on there as long as the merchant takes AmEx
- UOB Visa One: back up card, used only with merchants who don't take AmEx.

I charge roughly $1500-2500 each month on both cards (combined) with quite some overseas charges too. I travel at least twice a month but do not get to use my AmEx to book my SQ flights as they are done through company TA.

Now... I am reconsidering my VISA... I want to cancel it and take the Maybank Horizon Platinum Visa instead. Just because it will give me some miles as well. I tried the Citi PM but got denied... never knew why...

I also want one MasterCard (for discount reasons, special deals with MC only, such as Starwood specials) and I would go for the UOB Preferred World MC...

The MC doesn't really matter, as I would just "need" it for specific cases.

But I think the Maybank Visa would be good enough for me as secondary card.

Any thoughts? Oh and obviously, my main goal is to maximize KF miles, without going all crazy with cards though. I don't want more than one AX, one VA and one MC. I have enough stuff in my wallet already :D

Oh. You are doing all wrong. You have to dump your KF Gold straight away. It's one of the worst out there . Same with any UOB cards.

Keep only the following:

Amex: DBS Altitude for all local spending only (1:1.2 miles). Become 1.6 miles after 2,000.

Visa: Maybank Horizon for all overseas spend (1:2 miles), 1:4 miles at selected merchants and ez-link top up and ezlink is useful for taxis and groceries. My taxi fare this morning already gave me 150 miles one way.

Visa: CitiPM for all local spend not accepting Amex (1:1.2 miles) - you should apply again, I can't think of a better alternative for non-Amex accepting local spend

MC: I use Citi Rewards for shopping of clothes, shoes, and bags only (1:4 miles). Not useful for other things.

I have a few others that give me 4 miles/dollar for specific purchases and merchant types but I guess you don't want too many cards. So the 4 I mentioned above are the most basic.

All of them give at least 2x more than the KF Gold which I believe give you 0.625 miles or so.

cmdsea Mar 23, 2012 1:51 am

When I looked at the Maybank card they wanted S$150 for the first year and gave no incentives for the fee so that was a non starter.

The new DBS Altitude Visa is free for the first year (and free in following years for >S$25k spend or comes with 10,000 bonus miles if you pay the renewal..) and gets 1.2miles per S$1 spent and 1.6miles above the first S$2k spent every month.

Comes with priority pass lounge access and there is 8,000 bonus miles if you are amongst the first 500 to charge S$8k before 30th June...

SQueeze Mar 23, 2012 5:02 am

If there is a lot of overseas spending, the maybank card is still the card to have even with a fee. Nothing comes close to what they give. I don't recall paying any fees ever though - or do they have a minimum spend for the fee waiver.

In most cards in Singapore, fee waiver is anyway quite easily granted with a simple call.

aster Mar 23, 2012 9:52 am

Originally Posted by cmdsea (Post 18255839)
The new DBS Altitude Visa is...

Is there something new coming out or is that a typo with Amex changed to Visa?

Originally Posted by SQueeze (Post 18256292)
If there is a lot of overseas spending, the maybank card is still the card to have even with a fee. Nothing comes close to what they give.

Well, the DBS Treasures card gives 20% more miles for overseas spend. But it is a lot harder to get due to the criteria.

Awesom Andy Mar 23, 2012 10:20 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 18257591)
Is there something new coming out or is that a typo with Amex changed to Visa?

The Altitude is being launched as a new Visa Signature card. Invitations have been sent out to some people. Points earned and bonuses are very similar to the Amex version. I just sent off my application, and will see how that goes.

eriond Mar 23, 2012 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy (Post 18257774)
The Altitude is being launched as a new Visa Signature card. Invitations have been sent out to some people. Points earned and bonuses are very similar to the Amex version. I just sent off my application, and will see how that goes.

Just checked with my RM and can confirm that the Visa Signature card is indeed being launched. The Amex version will not be discontinued. Points earned are exactly the same on both cards. 1.2/$ for first $2k, 1.6/$ for $2k onwards. I was hoping that Amex would give more points, but apparently not.

percysmith Mar 24, 2012 12:28 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by eriond

Just checked with my RM and can confirm that the Visa Signature card is indeed being launched. The Amex version will not be discontinued. Points earned are exactly the same on both cards. 1.2/$ for first $2k, 1.6/$ for $2k onwards. I was hoping that Amex would give more points, but apparently not.

Well partial consolation for late kick-in of the S$1.6 rate (after S$2k instead of S$1k) . I still think it's net loss for the DBS altitude cardholders cos moving non-AE transactions fron Citi PM to DBS Alttude VS means more transaction count --> more rounding down to nearest S$5.

Sigh...we worry about our non-Amex AE in Hong Kong too...seems like Amex is determined to squeeze the non-Amex AE issuers out of business and re-monopolise the AE network.

enelym1978 Mar 25, 2012 7:40 pm

This new DBS Altitude VISA is quite interesting actually... As said earlier, I'm not a crazy-run-after-max-miles person and I just want to maximize as good as I can my earning rates without having to carry a suitcase full of credit cards with me :D

So basically I should cancel my AmEx KF for sure and also my UOB Visa and replace both of them with this new DBS Altitude Visa (let's see when they will make this card public).

$2000 per month should be achievable for me if I consolidate everything on one card only.

aster Mar 25, 2012 11:24 pm

Interesting, I never got an invite. Are the conditions different than for the Amex card, or are they only offering it to non-Altitude Amex cardholders? :)

I thought the whole reason why they could give the most miles was attributed to getting a bigger cut out of Amex transactions? So what now with the Visa card, offer same miles at first and then cut down on the Visa version?

Awesom Andy Mar 26, 2012 3:44 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 18273569)
Interesting, I never got an invite. Are the conditions different than for the Amex card, or are they only offering it to non-Altitude Amex cardholders? :)

The conditions appear to be the same as the Amex card, although I don't hold it at the moment so that's probably why they sent me the invite.

aster Mar 28, 2012 8:42 am

Andy, what about the other conditions of the card, namely the insurance that's included when you buy tickets using the Visa version? Is it the same?

lokijuh Mar 28, 2012 10:36 am

PPS Club Amex seems to have lost it's shine (i.e. its one and only redeeming feature) : No mention on the website of any more of 50%/up to 35,000 miles off redemption voucher. Usually get this sometime during March, nothing has come yet, and mention of it has disappeared from the website.

Awesom Andy Mar 28, 2012 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by aster (Post 18288781)
Andy, what about the other conditions of the card, namely the insurance that's included when you buy tickets using the Visa version? Is it the same?

The flyer is rather short on details, as points accruals was the main advertising weapon. Plus the fact that I don't have the flyer with me in SYD. :(

However, as a guess, I would think that the Amex-related specials (e.g. 5x points on weekends, and Amex Selects discounts) would not apply to the Visa version of the card.

I'm hoping that the card would be waiting for me in the mailbox when I get back to SIN early next month, and I'll update with full details (if I receive them).

aster Mar 30, 2012 8:44 pm

Does anyone have 2 different credit cards with DBS (not counting supplementary cards)? I'm curious how they would go about my limit with them if I got an Altitude Visa to complement my Amex one. Would they share the same limit, or would they halve my current limit and split them between the cards?