FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

chewiegranolabar Apr 3, 2013 2:16 am

Oh my! That was my primary card for years!! Am looking forward to receiving my preferred Visa. Also noticed that PRVI miles mentions spend $8,000 within 3 months of receiving card to get 8,000 miles. Hope this applies to my card which I got last year.

aster Apr 3, 2013 6:47 am

Originally Posted by chewiegranolabar (Post 20521134)
Thanks for the advice! I have gone ahead and applied for the UOB Preferred Plat Visa as well

Best card out there IMO due to the 4 miles/$ for paywave transactions. :) I don't think I'll be using anything else at Cold Storage or Fairprice.

aster Apr 3, 2013 6:48 am

Has anyone applied for a first card with UOB by faxing your application to get the card the next day? Or do things only go forward that quickly for subsequent CCs?

Archieflyer Apr 3, 2013 7:38 am

Originally Posted by chewiegranolabar (Post 20527595)
Oh my! That was my primary card for years!! Am looking forward to receiving my preferred Visa. Also noticed that PRVI miles mentions spend $8,000 within 3 months of receiving card to get 8,000 miles. Hope this applies to my card which I got last year.

I believe it only applies to those who applied for the card during the promotion. I applied for the card when it first came out, and this promo was not available so I didn't get it... :p

Originally Posted by aster (Post 20528290)
Best card out there IMO due to the 4 miles/$ for paywave transactions. :) I don't think I'll be using anything else at Cold Storage or Fairprice.

I didn't think you could use paywave at Fairprice. Gotta look more carefully next time I am there!

Originally Posted by aster (Post 20528298)
Has anyone applied for a first card with UOB by faxing your application to get the card the next day? Or do things only go forward that quickly for subsequent CCs?

I believe that's only for subsequent CCs. First time customers will take a bit more time.

aster Apr 3, 2013 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Archieflyer (Post 20528525)
I didn't think you could use paywave at Fairprice. Gotta look more carefully next time I am there!

I think it depends on the store as I recall being able to use AMEX at one of their stores but not in another. I'm pretty sure I saw a contactless terminal at Killiney Road though, but will check again the next time I am there.

Originally Posted by Archieflyer (Post 20528525)
I believe that's only for subsequent CCs. First time customers will take a bit more time.

Thanks, dunno why I was rushing to fax this one through, should have just posted it... really curious how long it will take to get my first card though. :)

Archieflyer Apr 3, 2013 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by aster (Post 20530175)
I think it depends on the store as I recall being able to use AMEX at one of their stores but not in another. I'm pretty sure I saw a contactless terminal at Killiney Road though, but will check again the next time I am there.

I think the contactless terminal is for the NETSFlashpay card (the CEPAS card from NETS). That does not support Paywave, I believe.

I think Amex is accepted at Fairprice Finest, but not the 'normal' Fairprice. Go figure why there's a difference between the two. I recall there was a time where the 'normal' Fairprice did not accept credit cards (except for the cobranded NTUC Visa with OCBC) except for the Finest outlets, which accepts anything.

Originally Posted by aster (Post 20530175)
Thanks, dunno why I was rushing to fax this one through, should have just posted it... really curious how long it will take to get my first card though. :)

Sorry mate, can't help you there. My first UOB card was many many years ago. But I think you should probably expect about two weeks or so.

aster Apr 4, 2013 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Archieflyer (Post 20532764)
I think the contactless terminal is for the NETSFlashpay card (the CEPAS card from NETS). That does not support Paywave, I believe.

I think Amex is accepted at Fairprice Finest, but not the 'normal' Fairprice. Go figure why there's a difference between the two. I recall there was a time where the 'normal' Fairprice did not accept credit cards (except for the cobranded NTUC Visa with OCBC) except for the Finest outlets, which accepts anything.

Finest accepts everything. The Killiney Road store is a normal one that also accepts all cards (expat area), but the last time I visited the one at City Square Mall (which is one of the newer stores!) I believe they wouldn't take Amex and might possibly have only accepted their own cards as you mentioned.

On a side note, now that I've switched from Altitude Amex to Visa I get a lot more questions of the "Payment by Visa?" type when handing over the card. Very annoying considering I've never seen anyone use NETS for over a year now... ;)

lokijuh Apr 4, 2013 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by aster (Post 20538507)
Finest accepts everything. The Killiney Road store is a normal one that also accepts all cards (expat area), but the last time I visited the one at City Square Mall (which is one of the newer stores!) I believe they wouldn't take Amex and might possibly have only accepted their own cards as you mentioned.

Fairprice at City Square Mall definitely now accepts Amex, Visa, MC, (without signature on smaller txn) but not flashpay.

percysmith Apr 5, 2013 7:54 am

Citi Prestige released in HK
https://www.citibank.com.hk/english/...cmp=HKENCCLN14
http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...w.php?id=10062

Approx S$400 annual fee

1.05 mile/S$ local spend, 1.575/S$ local spending.

Wish we had the Singaporean deal!

lcpteck Apr 5, 2013 11:13 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 20540733)
Citi Rewards released in HK
https://www.citibank.com.hk/english/...cmp=HKENCCLN14
http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...w.php?id=10062

Approx S$400 annual fee

1.05 mile/S$ local spend, 1.575/S$ local spending.

Wish we had the Singaporean deal!

You mean the Citi Prestige Card.

aster Apr 5, 2013 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by lokijuh (Post 20539118)
Fairprice at City Square Mall definitely now accepts Amex, Visa, MC, (without signature on smaller txn) but not flashpay.

Yes, went there today and they now accept CCs including Amex. :)

They also accept Flashpay. It's Paywave/Paypass that they haven't got yet.

percysmith Apr 5, 2013 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 20541905)
You mean the Citi Prestige Card.

Yes, sorry

Awesom Andy Apr 5, 2013 7:57 pm

I've been looking at the UOB preferred Visa, and apart from using it with the paywave thing where only supermarkets are about the only places I would regular visit, there's also the online offer that "excludes all travel, hotels, airlines, government, utilities, brokerage/securities, insurance, education and online gaming websites."

So where exactly do people use it?

aster Apr 5, 2013 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy (Post 20544496)
I've been looking at the UOB preferred Visa, and apart from using it with the paywave thing where only supermarkets are about the only places I would regular visit, there's also the online offer that "excludes all travel, hotels, airlines, government, utilities, brokerage/securities, insurance, education and online gaming websites."

So where exactly do people use it?

Evidently not online. :)

The key here is paywave. 4 miles to the $ is the big thing here. So supermarkets, some dining outlets, shops including department stores. More and more places have contactless terminals, and even though I don't have the card yet I already pay attention to which ones do. :) You just have to keep in mind that paywave is up to $100.

SQueeze Apr 6, 2013 2:21 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 20544882)
Evidently not online. :)

The key here is paywave. 4 miles to the $ is the big thing here. So supermarkets, some dining outlets, shops including department stores. More and more places have contactless terminals, and even though I don't have the card yet I already pay attention to which ones do. :) You just have to keep in mind that paywave is up to $100.

What do you mean 'not online'
The 4 miles/$ applies to online transactions except for the selected merchant categories in the T&C

I called them if the bonus applies to transactions through PayPal. The answer was not sure (agent said they are not sure evn after a few days of checking) and I didn't press on.