FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

lokijuh Jan 25, 2012 5:40 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 17870155)
[SIZE=1]I would doubt using AUD card better. Say it was Citi Premiermiles S$10 overseas =12 miles. To use it will cost u 1.34% (reading across from HKD/AUD Visa vs local bank exchange spread

Have used Citi Premiermiles for some AUD transactions - compared xe.com midrate I have found that the exchange rate fee is is the order of 2.5% to 3%. So the choice then becomes paying 2.5-3% for earning 1.6 KF miles per AUD or no charge for earning 1.5 Velocity miles per AUD spent (using CBA Plat Amex). Also, using the KF Gold Amex is waste of time, double points is only applicable for Singapore originating fares on SQ.

Archieflyer Jan 25, 2012 9:26 am

Originally Posted by cmdsea (Post 17881432)
About to spend over S$9k on air tickets with the TG mastercard fares promotion.

At the moment the only mastercard I have is my POSB Go! card which is a mastercard debit card.

It hurts to spend this much and not earn any miles from the transaction. Have trawled back a couple of pages but cant find any mastercard recommendations. Any thoughts.? At the moment I am primarily using the Citibank Premier miles card with the KF Amex as my reserve & SQ flights card..

If you HAVE to use a mastercard, then you are quite out of luck. Mastercards generally do not earn anything more beyond the 'standard' 0.4 miles / $.

The one exception to this is to get a Standard Chartered Platinum Mastercard and open a current account with the bank. SCB will then give you double points (equivalent to 0.8 miles / $) if you spend more than $1,000 in one month, which doesn't seem to be a problem for the month you are buying the tix.

If you qualify for the Preferred Banking, it gets better as that MC earns 2.5 times points (equivalent to 1 mile / $) if you spend more than $1,500 in one month.

Originally Posted by demue (Post 17882396)
Okay so for starters I know that the KF Amex is "lame" ;) and has some drawbacks. I still have it though (yes I'm a sucker :)) and didn't see anyone mentioning these new individual spend promotions AMEX has been sending out.

Did you guys receive any of those promo targets? I was first targeted in a survey where Amex was asking how they could get one to use the card more and how rewards could be improved. For example, I mentioned that I won't use the Amex at grocery stores or department stores due to the superior earnings potential of my Citi Platinum card (5x points making for a 2KF mls for 1S$). Also mentioned that there are more attractive cards for overseas spend.

Either way, received an offer in late Nov 2011 with a specific S$ spending target (higher 4-digit figure) for Dec 1, 2011 to Feb 29, 2012 period. As reward I could choose some gift (don't recall) or a certain amount of KF miles (low 5-digit figure in my case). It also stated that for any spending above the spend target I would earn 2KF miles for every dollar spend.

I thought it was a step in the right direction. I mean if they want to do individual targets that's fine, though I think they probably should improve overall earnings in for particular overseas transactions. Did any of you receive similar?

As I'm planning a fair amount of overseas travel this year I guess I better add a Maybank Horizon CC to my card stash for the superior overseas earning and EZ-Link top-up.

I got that before, and it was for a Amex Platinum Card. I believe mine was to make 5 charges to the card per month for 6 months & I had a choice of some watch or 20,000 Amex Rewards points (translates to 12,500 miles).

Yes, the Horizon is a gem of a card. Don't forget it also gives 4 miles / $ at some of their partners (like Ding Tai Fung).

percysmith Jan 25, 2012 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by lokijuh (Post 17883098)
Have used Citi Premiermiles for some AUD transactions - compared xe.com midrate I have found that the exchange rate fee is is the order of 2.5% to 3%. So the choice then becomes paying 2.5-3% for earning 1.6 KF miles per AUD or no charge for earning 1.5 Velocity miles per AUD spent (using CBA Plat Amex). Also, using the KF Gold Amex is waste of time, double points is only applicable for Singapore originating fares on SQ.

True, but can you actually buy AUD in the xe.com midrate? Bank sell rate more relevant (I'm assuming merlino has enough cash at bank to repay either card using its own currency).

merlino Jan 25, 2012 9:15 pm

Hi percysmith, lokijuh

Looking at ticket prices at the moment , ADL -> SG return in April 2011 is ~1300 AUD. Doing a Google forex calculation, 1300 AUD in SGD = ~1734 SGD (Considering a SG -> ADL return is selling at $888 SGD, that's actually massive in SG terms!)

Factor in the 3% bank rate, that will be 1 734 * (3%) = 52.02 SGD extra

If my calculation is correct (?), I will be looking to pay around ~1786.02 SGD with the Citi Premiermiles card.

Miles accrual: Citi Premiermiles (every $1 = 1.2 miles), therefore 1786.02*1.2 = 2143.224 points. Correct me if I am wrong at this stage?

Do you guys still think it is worth it with the Citi Premiermiles? Considering the points I will earn?

percysmith Jan 25, 2012 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by merlino (Post 17888667)
(Considering a SG -> ADL return is selling at $888 SGD, that's actually massive in SG terms!)

Same here. I priced a HKG-SYD return on CX for 9 Mar/11 Mar at HK$7,941. Going the other way on CX/same dates/same times costs A$1,188 (roughly $9,741.60). This isn't non-hometown discount (like in QF's case), this is just pricing any ticket ex-Aus just costs more (in the 1990s, it used to always cost less).

Factor in the 3% bank rate, that will be 1 734 * (3%) = 52.02 SGD extra

If my calculation is correct (?), I will be looking to pay around ~1786.02 SGD with the Citi Premiermiles card.

Miles accrual: Citi Premiermiles (every $1 = 1.2 miles), therefore 1786.02*1.2 = 2143.224 points. Correct me if I am wrong at this stage?

Do you guys still think it is worth it with the Citi Premiermiles? Considering the points I will earn?

If you need to recover a 3% bank rate (as opposed to 1.34%) you need a nominal value per mile of S$0.036 or more. Mine is S$0.0167 (or HK$0.102 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...ying-club.html) so if I were you I'll use the Commbank. Your Mileage May Vary.

lokijuh Jan 25, 2012 9:46 pm

HDo you guys still think it is worth it with the Citi Premiermiles? Considering the points I will earn?

My gut feel is that using Premiermiles card is worthwhile only if it has marginal value for you - ie the points you earn will be a tipping point for you in achieving an award you want. If they are just going to the pool for some future award not worth as much. Also depends if the points going to the CBA Amex will be stranded - or have some use at some point in time.

Note - that paying about 3c per point will reduce value of a business class fare SIN-ADL return, for example to $2700 SGD return, instead of usual $4k SGD return.

merlino Jan 25, 2012 11:43 pm

lokijuh, you have raised a good point.

I have 9277 points with Citi Premiermiles and 19,612 point with KrisFlyer miles.

Going by my calculation, charging my ticket purchase in OZ, might just give me another 2143.224 points

Not much, so at this stage it would be to chalk the points

aster Jan 26, 2012 9:16 am

Originally Posted by merlino (Post 17889223)
lokijuh, you have raised a good point.

I have 9277 points with Citi Premiermiles and 19,612 point with KrisFlyer miles.

Going by my calculation, charging my ticket purchase in OZ, might just give me another 2143.224 points

Not much, so at this stage it would be to chalk the points

Merlino, you mentioned that you also have the "Krisflyer American Express" card - have you calculated how many miles you would get by using this card for the ticket purchase? From what I remember this card wasn't very enticing for other stuff... but it gave quite a good return when used to purchase SQ flight tickets.

cmdsea Jan 26, 2012 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by aster (Post 17891121)
Merlino, you mentioned that you also have the "Krisflyer American Express" card - have you calculated how many miles you would get by using this card for the ticket purchase? From what I remember this card wasn't very enticing for other stuff... but it gave quite a good return when used to purchase SQ flight tickets.

If I have read this correctly, Merlino is flying ex-ADL and the Krisflyer Amex only works ex-SIN..?

lokijuh Jan 26, 2012 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by cmdsea (Post 17894162)
If I have read this correctly, Merlino is flying ex-ADL and the Krisflyer Amex only works ex-SIN..?

Well it works ex-anywhere ;) but bonus points are only offered for tickets booked online on the SQ website, originating in SIN, so you are correct.

merlino Jan 27, 2012 4:25 am

hey guys

any verdict on if I should use Citi Premiermiles for tickets ADL -> SIN ?

percysmith Jan 27, 2012 6:08 am

Originally Posted by merlino (Post 17896339)
hey guys

any verdict on if I should use Citi Premiermiles for tickets ADL -> SIN ?

Commbank Amex...

Furthermore in my calculation I didn't factor in any value for Commbank award points. They are a bit of a joke (even among AU cards) but you can get $10 cash back for 2,000 pts, which you can achieve with your A$1,300 spending, giving a cash rebate rate of 0.77%. So besides your 1.34%-3% SGD-AUD spread, you also miss out on the cash rebate.

merlino Jan 27, 2012 4:55 pm

hi

sorry, so you're saying to use the Commbank Amex?

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 17896618)
Commbank Amex...

Furthermore in my calculation I didn't factor in any value for Commbank award points. They are a bit of a joke (even among AU cards) but you can get $10 cash back for 2,000 pts, which you can achieve with your A$1,300 spending, giving a cash rebate rate of 0.77%. So besides your 1.34%-3% SGD-AUD spread, you also miss out on the cash rebate.

percysmith Jan 27, 2012 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by merlino (Post 17900467)
hi

sorry, so you're saying to use the Commbank Amex?

Yes

merlino Jan 28, 2012 8:21 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 17900600)
Yes

thanks!