FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

dickson_g Jan 9, 2015 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by LuisHK (Post 24130343)
Have been looking at Citi Prestige against Citi PM Visa for a long while now. Somehow I don't see much upside in switching to Presitge - or am I missing something?

Citi PM gives 1.2x only for local spending, while Citi Prestige gives 1.4x, so Citi Prestige is more worthwhile. Both gives 2.0x for overseas spending.

carrotjuice Jan 10, 2015 3:27 am

Originally Posted by dickson_g (Post 24135470)
Citi PM gives 1.2x only for local spending, while Citi Prestige gives 1.4x, so Citi Prestige is more worthwhile. Both gives 2.0x for overseas spending.

Still, why would you bother with either when UOB PRVI MC gives 1.6 miles local and 2.5 miles foreign? Except for the likes of Expedia and Kaligo bookings, in which case it's indifferent between both.

Volasia Jan 10, 2015 3:39 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 24137389)
Still, why would you bother with either when UOB PRVI MC gives 1.6 miles local and 2.5 miles foreign? Except for the likes of Expedia and Kaligo bookings, in which case it's indifferent between both.

Because the card doesn't have any benefits whatsoever. ANZ and Citi give limited or unlimited access to lounges. Provided you meet the criteria, you can get a free limo drive to the airport.

Assuming you spend SGD 30k on your card per year, the difference between 1.4 and 1.6 miles = 6000 miles. That's about 120 dollars. Based on this you can choose if you prefer a few lounges entries and 3-4 limo drives or the miles. To each one his card :)
ANZ also gives 10k miles if you pay the annual fee.

vsepr Jan 10, 2015 4:17 am

Originally Posted by Fly-Swiss (Post 24137420)
Because the card doesn't have any benefits whatsoever. ANZ and Citi give limited or unlimited access to lounges. Provided you meet the criteria, you can get a free limo drive to the airport.

Assuming you spend SGD 30k on your card per year, the difference between 1.4 and 1.6 miles = 6000 miles. That's about 120 dollars. Based on this you can choose if you prefer a few lounges entries and 3-4 limo drives or the miles. To each one his card :)
ANZ also gives 10k miles if you pay the annual fee.

Exactly!^

You cannot earn miles with small value transactions like S$1 with UOB cards and miles need to transfer in blocks of 10,000 miles.

UOB need to be in exact multiples of S$5 and >S$20 for S$ transactions to have higher rate than ANZ. When overseas, we need to estimate how much the foreign currency is to charge to UOB cards. Eg: About US$4 = S$5.

That's why now I carry ANZ & UOB suite of cards to earn miles!

lcpteck Jan 10, 2015 6:57 am

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 24137496)
That's why now I carry ANZ & UOB suite of cards to earn miles!

I carry all cards to earn miles so I can give mommy nice rides in J. :cool:

I've only redeemed SQ TPE-SIN in J for her last year. Hope to do longhaul J for her in the future. Damn, takes a lot of miles between IAD-SIN on *A using KF. Might probably redeem with AM instead on OW.

demue Jan 10, 2015 11:35 pm

For anyone still with a Maybank credit card that accrues RI points please be aware that the 10x RI partners like EZ Link topups have been removed and ceased as of Jan 1 2015. Of course, Maybank has not informed any customers of this change and expects you to find out on your own. :mad: Cheating, deceiving buggers. :td:

On Horizon Platinum, the 5x Treats points for 2mls / $ for foreign spend and the extra bonus for flights, etc. still remains.

I just hit 24K $ spend on my Horizon Platinum (with foreign spend and EZlink topups) to keep RI going, but all it will be worth it now is that my RI membership will be valid for another year so I can wait to transfer points out.

Pis*ed off about the lack of info. They can change the program as it is their right (though it will kill the cards which are already pretty unattractive), but tell customers about T&C changes. At least have that much decency (ideally in advance, but hey it is Maybank :rolleyes:) Oh well will ramp down my spend from 30-40K $ a year to a big fat 0 :D.

BTW, for that new UOB Privi Mastercard I can't see anything about 20K miles bonus after 50K$ spend? If not part of it and no miles bonus for renewal like Citibank then the 400+$ annual fee from year two is hefty combined with the headache of earning only in 5$ increments. Don't understand the excitement then. Maybe it is just me.

vsepr Jan 11, 2015 4:24 am

UOB PRVI Miles World MasterCard earns SMART$ at SMART$ merchants like GIANT, Cold Storage.

Still have to carry the AMEX version.

At NTUC Fairprice, you can split the payment to 2 credit cards.

Eg: For $13.90, charge $10 to UOB PPV and balance to ANZ Travel Card. Just show the cashier the 2 cards and tell the cashier the amount to pay for each card. Don't be shy to do so. Only Sheng Siong, Giant, Cold Storage cannot split the payment.

Volasia Jan 11, 2015 6:11 am

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 24142993)
UOB PRVI Miles World MasterCard earns SMART$ at SMART$ merchants like GIANT, Cold Storage.

Eg: For $13.90, charge $10 to UOB PPV and balance to ANZ Travel Card. Just show the cashier the 2 cards and tell the cashier the amount to pay for each card. Don't be shy to do so. Only Sheng Siong, Giant, Cold Storage cannot split the payment.

seriously ? just to earn 6 cents ? :confused:

SirJman Jan 11, 2015 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 24142993)

The CC payment gateways (even Paywave) are ungodly slow here. I can't imagine wanting to wait through that twice, when I've already queued up for 15 minutes+ minutes to pay for my groceries.

You should be buying 'vouchers' in bulk anyway to take advantage of the cashback cards.

LuisHK Jan 12, 2015 3:07 am

Originally Posted by dickson_g (Post 24135470)

but that's about it right? On top of that I can only think of unlimited lounge and occasional cab rides to airport.

I'm not thinking of UOB due to the way they credit the miles ($5 blocks) - I'm not too keen over diversifying the earnings to different cards and keep track the miles to the nearest cents.

lcpteck Jan 12, 2015 3:37 am

Originally Posted by LuisHK (Post 24148687)
but that's about it right? On top of that I can only think of unlimited lounge and occasional cab rides to airport.

I'm not thinking of UOB due to the way they credit the miles ($5 blocks) - I'm not too keen over diversifying the earnings to different cards and keep track the miles to the nearest cents.

True.

The unlimited Priority Pass lounge access is great for frequent flyers though. But I guess most business flyers would probably already have frequent flyer status to access the airline lounges.

I'm gonna drop my Krisflyer Ascend after my 1 year is up. Only signed up just for the 5k miles.

chrisksc Jan 12, 2015 3:38 am

Originally Posted by demue (Post 24142343)
For anyone still with a Maybank credit card that accrues RI points please be aware that the 10x RI partners like EZ Link topups have been removed and ceased as of Jan 1 2015. Of course, Maybank has not informed any customers of this change and expects you to find out on your own. :mad: Cheating, deceiving buggers. :td:

Not good news! This is bad :mad: Time to re-strategize...

demue Jan 12, 2015 9:52 am

Originally Posted by chrisksc (Post 24148762)
Not good news! This is bad :mad: Time to re-strategize...

Tell me about it. Had to go to Transitlink office on Sun to cancel the auto top up. Now will have to wait for a week before one can relink it to new card. Will use Citi PM Amex for now for 1.4mls until I figure out something better (if ever).

Actually UOB Privi would work for 1.6mls as top ups are always in nice 50$ amounts in my case, but I don't like the block transfers and potentially getting nothing for my annual fee if no waiver was to be given. Citi is much more flexible there.

LuisHK Jan 12, 2015 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 24148755)
True.

The unlimited Priority Pass lounge access is great for frequent flyers though. But I guess most business flyers would probably already have frequent flyer status to access the airline lounges.

I'm gonna drop my Krisflyer Ascend after my 1 year is up. Only signed up just for the 5k miles.

I think I'll stick to my Citi PM for now... The lounge is only great if I have time to use them... unfortunately I don't:(

worldrally Jan 12, 2015 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by fractal89 (Post 24065220)
I've gone with the Citi over the ANZ card because of the generally higher earn rate, and the points offered as a welcome gift (25k miles for the Citi Prestige card alone, 62.5k miles when I signed up together with Citigold)

PM sent. Thanks