FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

ticktock83 Jan 16, 2015 8:03 am

Hsbc customer service is quite bad from my experience. No callbacks even when they said they will. I'll just stick to anz and citi pm.. thanks but no thanks.

SQueeze Jan 16, 2015 7:09 pm

I was recently a bit concerned about UOB visa signature and Prvimiles new clause in the T&C that states that foreign currency charges through Singapore-based merchant payment gateway will not earn bonus points.

For awhile, I was feeling anxious because I had been purchasing SQ online tickets departing stations abroad (in USD and INR). And I had spent huge sums. After checking, it seems that the bonuses are in which means that SQ online's merchant gateway is based in the originating station. Thought all online purchases would route through the same gateway somewhere in Singapore. But relieved now.

Just wonder if anyone knows any merchants to watch out with respect to this clause?

It's already a headache to track merchant category. Now how to know if the merchant has a gateway in Singapore or not. They are making things difficult for customers. So sneaky. :mad:

elliotng Jan 17, 2015 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 24137496)
Exactly!^

You cannot earn miles with small value transactions like S$1 with UOB cards and miles need to transfer in blocks of 10,000 miles.

UOB need to be in exact multiples of S$5 and >S$20 for S$ transactions to have higher rate than ANZ. When overseas, we need to estimate how much the foreign currency is to charge to UOB cards. Eg: About US$4 = S$5.

That's why now I carry ANZ & UOB suite of cards to earn miles!

Why must UOB transactions be more than $20?

elliotng Jan 17, 2015 8:48 pm

UOB PPV Amex

Anyone tried UOB PPV Amex at the Hyatt restaurants, like Mezza9 or Straits Kitchen, to get 10x points?

fern76 Jan 18, 2015 12:21 am

Originally Posted by elliotng (Post 24186841)
Anyone tried UOB PPV Amex at the Hyatt restaurants, like Mezza9 or Straits Kitchen, to get 10x points?

Hotel restaurants generally don't get 10x I think.

jagmeets Jan 18, 2015 2:42 am

The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread

I think the T&C's do exclude such transactions for the 4miles/SGD. That said, I did get the miles a couple of years back!;)

SQueeze Jan 19, 2015 4:08 am

Best card for Ezlink Reload

Now that Maybank is going to the drawer, I wonder what is the best earning rate now for Ezlink.

Ezlink website is completely crappy. I am not sure if there are rebates for just DBS cards or also for Citibank. And then there is rebate for Imagine Amex. :confused:

Which is best:

1. DBS Altitude, 1.2 miles with rebate of the 0.25c per top up
2. UOB Prvimiles, 1.6 miles with no rebate
3. Imagine Amex card topped up with UOB Prvimiles with rebate (but I cannot find how much is the rebate and if it's worth it if it is not for long term). Don't really use the Imagine Card much.

I actually have most cards in the market including Citibank PM Visa and Amex, ANZ, FevoMC, Citibank SMRT. Krisflyer Ascend, Krisflyer PPS. any of these are overlooked?

AddictedTraveller Jan 19, 2015 8:08 am

Originally Posted by SQueeze (Post 24181919)

It's already a headache to track merchant category. Now how to know if the merchant has a gateway in Singapore or not. They are making things difficult for customers. So sneaky. :mad:

Agreed, it's getting really annoying!

percysmith Jan 19, 2015 8:32 am

Originally Posted by SQueeze (Post 24181919)
Now how to know if the merchant has a gateway in Singapore or not. They are making things difficult for customers. So sneaky. :mad:

I'm keeping a chart of gateways for HKD payments http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...w.php?id=11968 . Maybe create a new thread for SGD so you can create a wiki for SGD payments?

I'm not sure if SGD payments will necessarily be processed the same way as HKD payments.

- I suspect if HKD payments are already processed in Singapore such as Paypal or Tiger Airways then SGD payments will be also be processed in Singapore.

- If HKD payment is processed outside of HK (e.g hotels.com) then SGD payment may also be too

- HKD payments processed in HK is anyone's guess. No reference value

lcpteck Jan 19, 2015 8:51 am

Originally Posted by fern76 (Post 24187309)
Hotel restaurants generally don't get 10x I think.

That is correct.

SQueeze Jan 19, 2015 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 24194007)
I'm keeping a chart of gateways for HKD payments http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...w.php?id=11968 . Maybe create a new thread for SGD so you can create a wiki for SGD payments?

I'm not sure if SGD payments will necessarily be processed the same way as HKD payments.

- I suspect if HKD payments are already processed in Singapore such as Paypal or Tiger Airways then SGD payments will be also be processed in Singapore.

- If HKD payment is processed outside of HK (e.g hotels.com) then SGD payment may also be too

- HKD payments processed in HK is anyone's guess. No reference value

Am i right to say that the merchant gateway is the location (city / country) that is listed in the posting?

In this case, then it's actually easier to track than the mysterious merchant category.

It's still tedious. I am not sure if I will be doing a list. If anything, I will do an avoid-list. So far, yes, will avoid Paypal and Tiger using any UOB cards except the PPV for Paypal.

pompipi Jan 20, 2015 2:57 am

Ascend good only for booking SQ flights originating from SIN on SQ website

Personally I agree Krisflyer Ascend Amex is quite hopeless, except when booking SQ tix directly from SQ website (2x miles). The only other redeeming factor is when booking high-ticket items from SQ website in SGD, when the additional 300 miles for the every $500 kicks in. Then the more you spend, the closer it edge towards the 2.27miles/$ mark, which is more attractive compared to other local cards.

I once bought a few J class tix for others on my card, and earned a free J trip in Asia, when MI was having their 25th anniversary 50% redemption discount. :D

Otherwise, if charged in foreign currencies, you are better off paying with UOB Prvi @ 2.5miles/$.

Keep the posts coming!

lcpteck Jan 20, 2015 8:50 am

Veloce Lounges

According to the site, no more access to the Premier Lounge @ DPS, Denpasar Bali.

Awesom Andy Jan 20, 2015 9:33 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 24200595)
According to the site, no more access to the Premier Lounge @ DPS, Denpasar Bali.

Given what it is at the moment, you aren't missing anything at all. It's a seriously sorry excuse for a temporary measure until the actual lounge opens... soon...

tboons Jan 20, 2015 3:43 pm

Veloce is quite useless as an alternative. Limited and lousy lounges