FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

StoobyDoo Dec 6, 2014 9:47 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 23708884)
As an alternative in HK you might be able to do it if you open HSBC Premier or some similar wealth management account here and park the required relationship balance with them.

But this gives you access to the wealth management credit card - which may not necessarily be the best earning miles card (<-- normally those have moderate income requirements).

Answered a similar question belfore: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...hk-22.html#324

As a non-resident of both HK and SG, if I were to open an account with HSBC SG for their Advance account, deposit £20,000/S$40,000 (which is higher than minimums) and apply for the card is there a chance I may get it?

I currently bank with HSBC in the UK, also as an Advance customer.

SQueeze Dec 6, 2014 9:58 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 23952043)
It could be different promos for different banks.

Just to be safe I have printed out a copy of the current T&Cs of the Citibank Expedia promotion and have received an email confirmation from Citibank regarding the Airline inclusion list which matches what is stated in the current T&Cs.

Can use them if there's a dispute later on.

Both T&Cs list the airlines as being Expedia's merchant of record and the promotion is tied to it. It has to be the same. One of them is wrong and I think Citibank's is.

I have already copied the current T&Cs too.

Of course will dispute later. It's just upsetting because it's a pain to follow up and it's not like I can track every single point coming in esp when it comes to this kind of promotion where the bonus comes in 2-3 months later.

Awesom Andy Dec 6, 2014 11:04 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 23950228)
You're right, looks like the limo benefit is no longer attractive. I will still use this card however for overseas offline transactions.

It doesn't really have any benefits for me anymore, I guess. For the countries I go to, Amex has a pretty bad fx rate, so I only use it to avoid being DCC'ed. However, that's now becoming an extremely expensive exercise, to the point where I would probably cancel the card and put up with getting DCC'ed a few times.

vsepr Dec 7, 2014 4:19 am

News update:

ANZ Travel Card's cash rebate now at blocks of S$10 = 550 Travel$, still at 2.54%.

https://sg.anz.com/rewards/travel/list.jsp

Seems like no more free limo ride with S$1500 charge in 2015 because there is redemption for limo ride:

Limousine Transfer to or from
Singapore Changi Airport worth S$80

Online Full Redemption
Code: 1401114 | Points: 3,400
Online Partial Redemption
Code:1402114 | Points: 1,700 | Cash: S$40.00
Limousine Transfer to & from
Singapore Changi Airport worth S$150

Online Full Redemption
Code: 1401115 | Points: 6,400
Code:1402115 | Points: 3,200 | Cash: S$75.00

Volasia Dec 7, 2014 6:05 am

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 23955710)
News update:

ANZ Travel Card's cash rebate now at blocks of S$10 = 550 Travel$, still at 2.54%.

https://sg.anz.com/rewards/travel/list.jsp

Seems like no more free limo ride with S$1500 charge in 2015 because there is redemption for limo ride:

Limousine Transfer to or from
Singapore Changi Airport worth S$80

Online Full Redemption
Code: 1401114 | Points: 3,400
Code:1402114 | Points: 1,700 | Cash: S$40.00
Limousine Transfer to & from
Singapore Changi Airport worth S$150

Online Full Redemption
Code: 1401115 | Points: 6,400
Code:1402115 | Points: 3,200 | Cash: S$75.00

Why so? it's not because the limo is there available for redemption that you cannot have it for free if you spend 1500. Hopefully it stays. I actually prefer this system over the new UOB pay and refund. I'm not even sure that taxicab charges only 45.-, which is the max to be refunded...

vsepr Dec 7, 2014 6:14 am

Originally Posted by Fly-Swiss (Post 23955911)
Why so? it's not because the limo is there available for redemption that you cannot have it for free if you spend 1500. Hopefully it stays. I actually prefer this system over the new UOB pay and refund. I'm not even sure that taxicab charges only 45.-, which is the max to be refunded...

Does not make sense for them to come up with this limo redemption if we can have a 1 way free limo ride by spending S$1500. Redemption needs to spend S$2428.58 to redeem.

Anyway, let's wait and see in early January 2015 if the free limo redemption with S$1500 spend is still available, the current one is until 31 Dec 2014.

http://www.anz.com/resources/f/9/f96...df?MOD=AJPERES

kweecheng Dec 9, 2014 3:19 am

Hi everyone. I'm new and I need some advice from the experts.
I've been a loyal Amex platinum cardholder since 2010. Never defaulted in my payment and paid annual fee every year.
Decided to apply for the Ascend card and there was a column to put in the desired credit limit.
I have indicated an amount which is about 2X my salary.
The CSO called and sounded like it's a bit far fetched.
I highlighted to her that my credit limit on my first card was $3,300!
After several attempts of asking for an increase, the increased it to $5,000.
Plus, with the new card, I'll terminate my old platinum card.
I've opted for the full fee option for the Ascend card.
If they were to give me any low limit, how am I supposed to hit the $10,000 within 3 months target?
I'm very pissed with the treatment.
Should I go directly to ANZ instead or is this a common practice?
To doubt the customer and give lowest credit limit possible.

carrotjuice Dec 9, 2014 3:58 am

Originally Posted by kweecheng (Post 23966143)
If they were to give me any low limit, how am I supposed to hit the $10,000 within 3 months target?

If qualifying for spend promotions is what you're after, there's always the ability for you to pay up as soon as you charge to the card to continually "free up" credit limit for you to charge more. You don't have to wait until the monthly bill arrives.

lcpteck Dec 9, 2014 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 23966214)
If qualifying for spend promotions is what you're after, there's always the ability for you to pay up as soon as you charge to the card to continually "free up" credit limit for you to charge more. You don't have to wait until the monthly bill arrives.

That's true, this seems to be the only way to hit the $10k threshold.

qwerty23 Dec 10, 2014 2:05 am

Originally Posted by kweecheng (Post 23966143)
I highlighted to her that my credit limit on my first card was $3,300!

nothing new... my first amex card credit limit was $2000 :o

BryanHuang Dec 10, 2014 5:39 am

Just wondering if I will get 10xpoints for donating money using my Womans world card.

Will be donating online via GIVEasia. Any clue? Or should I just be safe and stick to the Altitude? They are only accepting Visa and MC.

SQueeze Dec 10, 2014 8:43 am

Originally Posted by SQueeze (Post 23952171)
Both T&Cs list the airlines as being Expedia's merchant of record and the promotion is tied to it. It has to be the same. One of them is wrong and I think Citibank's is.

I have already copied the current T&Cs too.

Of course will dispute later. It's just upsetting because it's a pain to follow up and it's not like I can track every single point coming in esp when it comes to this kind of promotion where the bonus comes in 2-3 months later.

I have enquired and confirmed that Air India is not under Expedia in the billing. It shows as Air India Expedia Singapore in my statement (MC: 4511).

For Vietnam Airlines and Singapore Airlines, all transactions are listed as Expedia *itinerary number Expedia.SG (MC: 4722) This MC is for Expedia and should be the basis for the 6x miles promotion.

Therefore Air India is wrongly listed in the list of airlines in Citibank-Expedia promotion. The UOB T&C seems to be the more reliable one which lists the airlines where Expedia is the merchant of record.

I have not reported to them yet so it probably won't be fixed soon.

For mine, my ticket has to be refunded anyway, so i won't be pursuing it.
It would have been such a hassle to monitor the retroactive claim.

itihm Dec 10, 2014 7:35 pm

Does anyone have any insight on the HSBC Advance, especially regarding the categories accepted as Online spend?

Seems like one of the most useful cards right now.

percysmith Dec 10, 2014 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by SQueeze (Post 23973738)
For Vietnam Airlines and Singapore Airlines, all transactions are listed as Expedia *itinerary number Expedia.SG (MC: 4722) This MC is for Expedia and should be the basis for the 6x miles promotion.

(well since www.expedia.com.hk is included in this promo this is relevant) VN via expedia.com.hk is charged by VN directly as well:

2014/10/15 2014/10/18 VIETNAM AIR 738544335xxxxHONG KONG HK 7437398429011200060xxxx HKD 2,853.00
2014/10/15 2014/10/18 VIETNAM AIR 738544335xxxxHONG KONG HK 7437398429011200060xxxx HKD 2,853.00

These tickets were booked via expedia.com.hk now Vietnam Airlines online or offline.

SQueeze Dec 10, 2014 10:47 pm

Orh ... Looks like we need to be on guard and monitor the points coming in.

This is not going to be easy.

For now, I am quite confident charges by MC:4722 should be the ones having the bonus. I asked the call centre who is the merchant and its Expedia. It's not the airline. For hotel bookings, the merchant shown is 4722