FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

itchynose Jan 1, 2015 8:38 am

Was in KUL tonight to use the PP lounge at satellite. I saw person in front with ANZ card get denied - I switched to my diners card and got in.

The sign at the desk says that no veloce members were allowed - ie not specific to ANZ. Also heard the lady at the desk tell the person in front that it was a contractual issue with veloce (again, no mention of ANZ).

Have not heard anything about the relationship between ANZ and veloce though. Mind you that ANZ use veloce in Aus too so it will be a big change for them.

aster Jan 1, 2015 9:33 am

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 24077415)
http://www.uob.com.sg/personal/cards...astercard.html

Don't have "Enjoy bonus 20,000 miles when you spend S$50,000 in a year".:td:

http://www.uob.com.sg/assets/pdfs/ca...vi_milesmc.pdf

A foreign currency factor of 3.25% on the
amount converted will be charged (out of
which 1% which will be retained by
MasterCard).

Same rate as the AMEX version.:td:

I went for the 20k bonus but I don't think I'll be repeating that again, so no difference to me in that regard.

So foreign currency charges will be the same - no loss here either.

I would have mentioned the free limo but the rules have recently changed for the AMEX, making it a completely different story now. So once again no biggie from my side.

But there is one big change: the logo on your card. Going from Amex to MC is a big game-changer.

Right now the new PRVI MC is a must-have card and is the best "overall spend" card in Singapore at present. @:-) Where else can you clock up 1.6 miles/$ and not have to worry about your card being an Amex one? :)

aster Jan 1, 2015 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Napsterz (Post 24081966)
Need some comments and advice from you guys on my "miles accrual plan" :p

Currently I own:
DBS Altitude Visa Signature
Citi PM Visa Signature

Considering to apply :
AMEX SIA KrisFlyer Ascend (Get 5000 bonus miles, keep 1 year then cancel)
UOB PRVI Miles Platinum (3 years free annual fee waiver)
ANZ Travel Visa Card. (2000 bonus miles on application)

Based on my research, I believe the plan would work as follows:
Local Spending Accepting Amex - Use UOB Prvi Miles (1.6 miles/$)
Local Spending not accepting Amex - Use ANZ Travel Visa (1.4 miles/$)
Overseas Spending Accepting Amex - Use UOB Prvi Miles (2.5 miles/$) - Is this a good move since AMEX foreign charges are high? Should I use DBS Altitude/Citi PM instead?
Overseas Spending Not Accepting Amex - Use DBS/Citi PM (2 miles/$)

In addition, I will keep the DBS Altitude, ANZ Travel Visa, Citi PM and pay the annual fees of 192.60 every year to get 10k bonus miles each. Will rack up the points over the years since they do not expire (except ANZ Travel Visa which I will offload the points to Kris Flyer at the end of the 5 year expiry).

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance

Hi Napsterz, ale welcome to FT! ^

For local spend you can now apply for the PRVI MC instead - no need to worry about Amex acceptance any more!

For overseas you will see a lot of promos that might make it worth your while. For instance DBS Altitude had one recently that just ended on Dec 31, whereby you could get 3 miles/$ (limited up to a certain spend amount/mth).

For annual fees, if you are willing to pay them to accrue yet more miles, you might as well hang on to all those cards you mentioned.

To truly maximise your mileage-accrual I would also get the DBS WWMC. That is the most sure-fire way of getting 8k miles for just $2k spend each month.

Also, if you happen to shop at NTUC Fairprice or just use paywave a lot in general, you might want to consider the UOB PPV to get 4 miles/$ for such spend as well.

Volasia Jan 1, 2015 9:29 pm

The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread

Just talked to ANZ. The veloce access is still valid no change. As for the limo privilege, it is not decided what will happen to it but is still valid for January 2015.

Volasia Jan 1, 2015 9:30 pm

Lcpteck ; it would be good if you produce your source before posting such news as ANZ denied it was the case.

dickson_g Jan 1, 2015 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by Fly-Swiss (Post 24086187)
Just talked to ANZ. The veloce access is still valid no change. As for the limo privilege, it is not decided what will happen to it but is still valid for January 2015.

I realised that ANZ phone operators sometimes do not know what they are talking about.

Just 2 days ago, like you, I asked if the limo privelege is valid for 2015.

She put me on hold to check, and came back and said "Sir, there's no change for 2015".

Then I specifically pointed her to ANZ's website (http://www.anz.com/resources/f/9/f96...df?MOD=AJPERES) and drew her attention to the fact that it clearly says this program is valid until 31 Dec 2014. She clicked on it, was silent for a long while and asked to put me on hold again.

After a while, she came back and said that there is still a limo program for 2015 but we will have to use our points to redeem it. In that sense, there is no change.

I got tired of the semantics and asked her -- for Dec 2014, if I accumulate >S$1,500 spending, I can get a free limo voucher, right? Yes, Sir.

For Jan 2015, if I accumulate >S$1,500 spending, can I get a free limo voucher? No, Sir, but you can use your points to redeem for a voucher.

But those are two different things, right? Yes, Sir.

So why did you tell me that there is no change to the program in 2015 when I asked you to check and you did check earlier and confirm there is no change?
"Sorry, Sir."

In any case, until ANZ's website says the limo program is valid in 2015, its better to assume its no longer valid after December 2014.

Frankly speaking, I'm ready to throw in the towel with ANZ too. Their operators are poorly trained, their programs ambiguous and prone to sudden changes. Worst still, in the year 2014, they still don't have a website that allows customer to access their account and details of transaction, and you literally have to call them and go over it one by one, if you want to verify what's posted as transactions before the statement is mailed to you.

percysmith Jan 1, 2015 11:58 pm

In Chinglish we term these as 膠CS or Plastic CS. Do you have an equivalent term in Singlish?

Volasia Jan 2, 2015 12:20 am

Originally Posted by dickson_g (Post 24086431)
I realised that ANZ phone operators sometimes do not know what they are talking about.

Just 2 days ago, like you, I asked if the limo privelege is valid for 2015.

She put me on hold to check, and came back and said "Sir, there's no change for 2015".

Then I specifically pointed her to ANZ's website (http://www.anz.com/resources/f/9/f96...df?MOD=AJPERES) and drew her attention to the fact that it clearly says this program is valid until 31 Dec 2014. She clicked on it, was silent for a long while and asked to put me on hold again.

After a while, she came back and said that there is still a limo program for 2015 but we will have to use our points to redeem it. In that sense, there is no change.

I got tired of the semantics and asked her -- for Dec 2014, if I accumulate >S$1,500 spending, I can get a free limo voucher, right? Yes, Sir.

For Jan 2015, if I accumulate >S$1,500 spending, can I get a free limo voucher? No, Sir, but you can use your points to redeem for a voucher.

But those are two different things, right? Yes, Sir.

So why did you tell me that there is no change to the program in 2015 when I asked you to check and you did check earlier and confirm there is no change?
"Sorry, Sir."

In any case, until ANZ's website says the limo program is valid in 2015, its better to assume its no longer valid after December 2014.

Frankly speaking, I'm ready to throw in the towel with ANZ too. Their operators are poorly trained, their programs ambiguous and prone to sudden changes. Worst still, in the year 2014, they still don't have a website that allows customer to access their account and details of transaction, and you literally have to call them and go over it one by one, if you want to verify what's posted as transactions before the statement is mailed to you.

I see. Quite confusing. I just obtained a voucher on the phone for 2015. She checked my transactions and confirmed that I would get one free of charge since it was above SGD 1500. So I guess we'll know more by end of month. I agree with you it doesn't entice to stay with them.

Another point I wanted to mention is the miles received for paying Income tax with the card. It can easily be more than 15k miles for me, so not unsignificant. As for the UOB Mastercard, it would be worth comparing with the CITI Prestige which offers limo, renewal points and unlimited priority pass as well as hotel benefits.

carrotjuice Jan 3, 2015 10:52 pm

ANZ customer service, I have found, are often not well informed by the people in marketing or product management that control the product and promotions. That's why they given inconsistent and contradictory answers.

SirJman Jan 4, 2015 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 24096944)
ANZ customer service, I have found, are often not well informed by the people in marketing or product management that control the product and promotions. That's why they given inconsistent and contradictory answers.

Looks like T1 Skyview is dead as of 2 Jan (someone on HWZ was denied today). Veloce list new lounges for T1 and T3 on their website. If Dnata disappear in T3 as well, this is a huge downgrade as Oasis and Ambassador are pretty grim.

http://www.velocelounges.com/Bin.aspx?id=469352

SQueeze Jan 5, 2015 4:54 am

Originally Posted by SirJman (Post 24102534)
Quote:

Originally Posted by carrotjuice

Looks like T1 Skyview is dead as of 2 Jan (someone on HWZ was denied today). Veloce list new lounges for T1 and T3 on their website. If Dnata disappear in T3 as well, this is a huge downgrade as Oasis and Ambassador are pretty grim.

http://www.velocelounges.com/Bin.aspx?id=469352

Case today: friend was denied access to T3 dnata lounge.

He reported to ANZ who insisted is valid. Now ANZ is investigating.

Access to Ambassador lounge is allowed.

SirJman Jan 5, 2015 5:45 am

Originally Posted by SQueeze (Post 24103582)
Case today: friend was denied access to T3 dnata lounge.

He reported to ANZ who insisted is valid. Now ANZ is investigating.

Access to Ambassador lounge is allowed.

Veloce website has changed yet again. Only Oasis and Ambassador remain, just this morning they were still listed. Green Market didn't last long if it's gone as well :td:

All the KLIA 2 lounges are gone too.

SQueeze Jan 5, 2015 6:08 am

Originally Posted by SirJman (Post 24103730)
Veloce website has changed yet again. Only Oasis and Ambassador remain, just this morning they were still listed. Green Market didn't last long if it's gone as well :td:

All the KLIA 2 lounges are gone too.

:mad: green market is the good one. I really like the food there.

lcpteck Jan 5, 2015 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Fly-Swiss (Post 24086192)
Lcpteck ; it would be good if you produce your source before posting such news as ANZ denied it was the case.

It was a source from a friend.

Looks like it's not the end of the partnership, it's just a lack of lounges. :D

ANZ Travel card lounge access looks pretty limited nowadays. Oh well, it's still useful for those cities that is listed.

AddictedTraveller Jan 5, 2015 10:18 pm

Not a good development at all - especially for those going to and from SIN-KUL.