Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS to fly to JFK [merged discussion thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS to fly to JFK [merged discussion thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2022, 8:40 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by chleonard
IAD for me, only SAS flight using IAD right now is from CPH on a narrowbody A321. Would love to try it out someday but the lack of seats means the tickets are always horrifically expensive to boot, if I have to connect I might as well go through FRA where there's better options. Always found it odd that IAD has such a minimal SAS presence given that it's a major Star Alliance hub.
I'm very curious about that flight too because apparently it still uses the moonbuggies (directly to the plane)...the way IAD was designed. Have always wanted to be on one of those flights.
chleonard likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 9:39 am

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Originally Posted by jamiel
I'm very curious about that flight too because apparently it still uses the moonbuggies (directly to the plane)...the way IAD was designed. Have always wanted to be on one of those flights.
Heres a relatively recent video review OF IAD-CPH in Business on the A321LR. The mobile boarding gates are indeed used - yet the plane seems still to need a tug for a push-back. I assumed they might allow for remote stands to be “pull-through” for more efficient departures.

Old Feb 18, 2023, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Sounds like a paid lounge.
I was thinking the same as nothing is mentioned about paid entrance in the press release.
But I think it is safe to assume that money makes the world go round for a lounge in NY, or anywhere for that matter.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 1:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
So I flew CPH-JFK the other day in steerage, here's the good and the bad...

I was in Row 31, plenty of leg room. Row 30 had blocked signs on the seats and was used as Crew Rest. The seats are misaligned with the last row of Y+ so it seems like two screens for three seats.

Meal wise, definitely a crappy experience. I know it's Coach but no options offered, just here is the meal... Pay for everything except your first non-alcoholic beverage.
The snack before arrival was served with a juice, no option of even a soft drink. Lots of water rounds throughout the flight...

The good part, super fast luggage arrival and fast customs even if there were only two Global Entry machines. I think I was at the Airtrain platform in under 15 maybe 18 minutes from de-boarding.

THe one and only option, Meat Lasagna with Broccoli

Pre-arrival snack, Turkey and Cheese sandwich served hot .

Row 31 with a view of the seats in Row 30
GUWonder, Repooc17, Stil and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 4:33 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I had almost forgot that SAS used to fly to JFK before it pulled out and put everything into EWR. As much as I will appreciate this SAS JFK flight at times, I still have a good amount of need for the onward EWR connectivity that UA provides.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I had almost forgot that SAS used to fly to JFK before it pulled out and put everything into EWR. As much as I will appreciate this SAS JFK flight at times, I still have a good amount of need for the onward EWR connectivity that UA provides.
I guess they moved about the time they got in to bed with Continental Holdings.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...146-story.html

One of many amazingly poor investments in other airlines made by SK.
​​​​​
Old Feb 21, 2023, 5:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I guess they moved about the time they got in to bed with Continental Holdings.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...146-story.html

One of many amazingly poor investments in other airlines made by SK.
​​​​​
Wasn’t SAS still at JFK when Gennifer Flowers was blossoming news (1992)? I guess that was still while SAS could pretend to be flourishing.

Not sure when SAS pulled out of JFK, maybe it was even 1989. But there was a period where JFK-CPH was flown by Tower Air and by TWA but not by SAS.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Wasn’t SAS still at JFK when Gennifer Flowers was blossoming news (1992)? I guess that was still while SAS could pretend to be flourishing.

Not sure when SAS pulled out of JFK, maybe it was even 1989. But there was a period where JFK-CPH was flown by Tower Air and by TWA but not by SAS.
SK moved to EWR as part of the Continental tie up, but in the end wrote of the entire investment during one of the Continental chapter 11s.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 5:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
SK moved to EWR as part of the Continental tie up, but in the end wrote of the entire investment during one of the Continental chapter 11s.
Yes, but the question for me is in which year did SAS finally shut down its JFK flights .
Old Feb 21, 2023, 5:31 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Yes, but the question for me is in which year did SAS finally shut down its JFK flights .
1989? https://www.sasmuseet.net/fakta-om-sas/

Nytt SAS hovedkontor i Frösundavik, Stockholm, tas i bruk 11. januar. SAS bestiller
ni Boeing 767 interkontinentale fly til 5 milliarder SEK 18. januar. Nonstop-rute
København-Beijing starter 23. august og nonstop-rute Rio-København 25. september.
Samarbeidsavtale med Continental Airlines blir inngått 4. oktober og innbefatter
overgang til Newark som New York-flyplass.
15. desember kjøper SAS andeler i
Airlines of Britain Holdings og innleder samarbeid med British Midland.

Samarbeid med All Nippon Airways innledes 3. mars. Newark-trafikk innledes 1. mai.
SAS starter Stockholm-Tallin 26. november. SAS Commuter opprettes som frittstående
konsortium for regionaltrafikk for SAS med Fokker 50. Boeing 767 settes i trafikk, og
samtidig forsvinner 1. klasse også på det interkontinentale nettet.
GUWonder, VRFast, Stil and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 8:07 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Reporting after another trip in Steerage....
Snack served right after takeoff and a full breakfast before landing... Glad they actually applied some logic to the meal service, on such a late departure everyone was trying to sleep...

Small snack after takeoff... Ham and Cheese Toastie

Full breakfast (eggs, sausage, potatoes)
Stil, Tomas E and AutismoSupremo like this.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 10:20 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
If I didn't see the picture I wouldn't have believed you. Why can't SAS offer Ham and Cheese Toasties in EU Plus or on EU departing flights instead of the cold disgusting inedible salad boxes or weird black bread sandwiches.

That looks more appetizing than the SAS Business meals.
Cookoovaya and AutismoSupremo like this.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 4:39 am

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Agree with you jfkeze ... late evening east-coast USA - Europe departures don't need to offer any more than this in Economy. (Business, obviously, should offer more choice.) It's quicker to serve, lighter to digest, and gets everyone to sleep sooner. My absolute worst experience was BA YUL-LHR with an incredible tail wind. The flight clocked in at something like 5.5hrs and it took 2hrs to finish meal service in the back of the bus.
chrisljo likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
If I didn't see the picture I wouldn't have believed you. Why can't SAS offer Ham and Cheese Toasties in EU Plus or on EU departing flights instead of the cold disgusting inedible salad boxes or weird black bread sandwiches.

That looks more appetizing than the SAS Business meals.
Indeed, inedible. Still trying to understand how SAS travellers are happy with the offering.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
SAS moved to EWR in May, 1989. I remember it well because I think that I took one of the last flights out of JFK in May, 1989. I think the move was slightly delayed. The glitzy terminal C at EWR had opened in June 1988. I vaguely recall having gone somewhere on CO (I was in college) and then having to take a van from EWR to JFK to take the SK flight to CPH.
AutismoSupremo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.