Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS to fly to JFK [merged discussion thread]

SAS to fly to JFK [merged discussion thread]

Old Apr 6, 2023, 7:56 am

Programs: LH HON
As a regular LH405 flyer (9.50pm dep), SK 920 has been proven excellent to wrap up the week with client dinners on Friday night without rushing to the airport. I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts although I can't see the long term benefit for SAS given the flight seems to operate at 70% capacity max.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 6:26 pm

Programs: LH HON
Just took the flight last night. Confirmed - no lounge access. Donít bother coming in early.
gretchendz and AutismoSupremo like this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 5:58 pm

We booked a flight in June to CPH from JFK; this will be our first flight on SAS. I never even thought of looking if there would be a lounge for business-class travelers; I just assumed a major European airline would have it. Then I saw this thread....yikes!

So then I started exploring changing our flight to leave from EWR, rather than JFK, since I checked, and SAS even has their own lounge at EWR. As part of this I brought up our own flight from JFK to CPH. I discovered they do list lounge access included for SAS Business Pro, but not on SAS Business Smart that we are booked. Pretty shocking. Of course we can pay for access to the Alaska Airlines lounge in terminal 7 for much cheaper than having to upgrade to SAS Business Pro. Looks like this will be our first and last trip on SAS.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 1:07 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Torquer
I discovered they do list lounge access included for SAS Business Pro, but not on SAS Business Smart that we are booked. Pretty shocking.
You can still access the United Polaris lounge
Old Apr 18, 2023, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by gojko88
At JFK?
Old Apr 18, 2023, 11:45 pm

Programs: Eurobonus
Originally Posted by GUWonder
But JAL isn't the airline granting lounge access at CPH. It's the lounge granting access for which the lounge operator bills the flight operating carrier when the lounge access is being covered by an airline (and not by a lounge membership program/bank card/traveler's employer or traveler's client).

I do know that at CPH that the contract lounge staff sometimes refer to guidance information -- it used to be a book or laminated placard or printed sheet over the years -- that also listed carriers which don't fly out of CPH but are included because those airlines are part of one of the big three airline alliances whose elite status members get access when flying partner carriers out of CPH where the operating carrier has a billing arrangement with the contract lounge(s).

I am curious to see what happens for SkyTeam ElitePlus passengers at the CPH contract lounges for AF/KL-marketed flights operated out of CPH by a non-SkyTeam carrier. There used to be at least one such route, and maybe there still is.
We may be getting too far outside the scope of the thread but I wanted to chime in; I work at the AF/KL contract lounge in CPH (Apartments Business Lounge) so I dare to say I have the insights:

If flying in a premium class of travel, the entrance is registered purely with the operating carrier. I do not imagine this bill being passed on to anyone else.

If flying at the back and gaining access via status, the entrance is registered with the airline with which the pax has status. E.g. we have many DL status pax on AF/KL flights connecting in CDG/AMS and many JL status pax on AY flights connecting in HEL. We bill AF/KL or AY directly but I believe they foot the bill onto JL or wherever the pax has status. When flying economy and gaining access via status, the access is courtesy of the status airline -- not the operating or marketing carrier -- so that is why I believe they pass the bill to the status airline.

In my experience, especially AF/KL are very flexible compared to many other airlines, meaning that in those outlier cases with weird marketing/operating combinations, rebookings on other carriers, etc., we have no problem letting AF/KL status pax in as we know AF/KL are reasonable and will not dispute the charge.

With regards to the last question, we can easily let pax in on codeshares where they have status with the marketing airline but the operating carrier is outside the alliance. As long as they arrive with an AF/KL boarding card with an AF/KL number, it is all good for us. Ie. a SkyTeam status holder flying AMS-CPH-FAE with the last leg being KL9537 operated by Atlantic Airways will have access to the Apartment Business Lounge (and yes, that infamous guidance book with laminated sheets is still very much in use - there is some resistance to digitisation within the company, perhaps because the average age for employees is a bit high)
GUWonder, SKT-DK, view and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 8:15 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Glad to get your insight.

I can say that from even before the US Government approved the revenue-sharing JV with AF-KL for TATL service that at those time when DL wasn’t operating its own flights out of CPH but the DL ElitePlus were flying AF-KL-operated-and-coded flights out of CPH, that it didn’t seem to come with any billing of DL by AF-KL for the lounge access.

AF/KL has enough “premium” passengers flying daily out of CPH who don’t even use the lounges that I can see why they wouldn’t make a fuss about the passenger count for which they are billed. And as cheap as AF/KL are, SAS is even cheaper in its mentality with regard to contract lounge access. It wasn’t always this way with SAS.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by gojko88
There is no United lounge in terminal 7 at JFK, the one that SAS uses. And as far as I know, there is no transportation within the secure area, between terminals.

I also discovered that the Alaska and the independent lounges in terminal 7 appear to close at 10PM....can anyone confirm that? If so, that is not very helpful when you are on the 11:55PM SAS flight to CPH. It likely isn't even worth paying money to go to those lounges for the short time we would be there. Ugh!
Old Apr 19, 2023, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
There is no United lounge in terminal 7 at JFK, the one that SAS uses. And as far as I know, there is no transportation within the secure area, between terminals.

I also discovered that the Alaska and the independent lounges in terminal 7 appear to close at 10PM....can anyone confirm that? If so, that is not very helpful when you are on the 11:55PM SAS flight to CPH. It likely isn't even worth paying money to go to those lounges for the short time we would be there. Ugh!
There is no United lounge in any terminals in JFK, United does not currently fly from JFK.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 1:10 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jonu
At JFK?
The post was referring to EWR, not JFK. At least that's how I understood it.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
We booked a flight in June to CPH from JFK; this will be our first flight on SAS. I never even thought of looking if there would be a lounge for business-class travelers; I just assumed a major European airline would have it. Then I saw this thread....yikes!

So then I started exploring changing our flight to leave from EWR, rather than JFK, since I checked, and SAS even has their own lounge at EWR. As part of this I brought up our own flight from JFK to CPH. I discovered they do list lounge access included for SAS Business Pro, but not on SAS Business Smart that we are booked. Pretty shocking. Of course we can pay for access to the Alaska Airlines lounge in terminal 7 for much cheaper than having to upgrade to SAS Business Pro. Looks like this will be our first and last trip on SAS.
I think the fact that lounge access from JFK is shown for business pro and not business smart is a bug on the website/app rather than an actual feature of difference between the fares. SK decided a few years back to stop using contract lounges, the JFK route being the only long haul destination with no Star Alliance lounge in the terminal that SK uses is a victim of this rule. While it for European flights is quite cheap to cut lounge access this way, for a long haul J flight is is quite shocking.
​​
Old Apr 19, 2023, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/airport-lounge/day-pass

Our JFK Lounge is limited to selling day passes to those flying on Alaska Airlines or a oneworldģ member airline. ​​​​​​
Old Apr 20, 2023, 2:51 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The lounge operator will gladly sell you a 3h access to the T7 lounge for 65$: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35041908-post11.html
Old Apr 20, 2023, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The lounge operator will gladly sell you a 3h access to the T7 lounge for 65$: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35041908-post11.html
And it seems to remain open at least until the late ANA flight departs around 1am.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 4:23 am

Programs: Eurobonus
Originally Posted by oliver2002
That certainly is a price. I don't know how big of a necessity lounge access is at JFK but I imagine you would need to consume a lot of food, beverages, and peace&quiet in 3 hours to make it worthwhile at that price.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.