Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS to fly to JFK [merged discussion thread]

SAS to fly to JFK [merged discussion thread]

Old Mar 31, 2024, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Glad I got my SK flights out of the way from T7 mid month. Wouldn't want to deal with the mess that is of T1. Not to say T7 is great, but better than T1.

How can it be a star alliance terminal and SK having access to AF lounge. Neither is true as of now. T1 is/was a partnership between AF, LH, JL, and KE. There are airlines from every major alliance (*A, OW, ST) operating at T1, as well as airlines not in any alliances. JL has also moved to T8.

SK is not doing that well at JFK; further indicated by downgauge of its flights to/from CPH (widebody to narrowbody), though now they have been granted an additional takeoff/landing slot, and better flight times.

There is still a lot of brand equity at EWR, where SK has operated for decades. Don't expect SK to pull out abruptly from EWR.
JFK started as A321LR and has had a bit of a mixed bag of aircraft. Probably for major travel periods in Scandinavia, October break, December shopping in New York, summer is when widebodies are needed. These are mainly complementary to the EWR flights, so it is not like they need an ocean of extra capacity. And until they get more in league with DL connectivity is not great from JFK.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 1:53 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
JFK started as A321LR and has had a bit of a mixed bag of aircraft. Probably for major travel periods in Scandinavia, October break, December shopping in New York, summer is when widebodies are needed. These are mainly complementary to the EWR flights, so it is not like they need an ocean of extra capacity. And until they get more in league with DL connectivity is not great from JFK.
Not sure I agree here, there are plenty/all(?) of DL connections from JFK, the catch is no codesharing, perks and earnings (on EB). EWR makes no sense anymore now they no longer codeshare on UA unless for some odd reason EWR is your final destination. I'd argue that sooner than later the EWR flights become complementary and should probably go away. SK is pushing connections on their new ATL flight and the BOS flight more than EWR for virtually all East-Coast/Mid-West bookings.

Fingers crossed SK and AF figure out lounge access.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Not sure I agree here, there are plenty/all(?) of DL connections from JFK, the catch is no codesharing, perks and earnings (on EB). EWR makes no sense anymore now they no longer codeshare on UA unless for some odd reason EWR is your final destination. I'd argue that sooner than later the EWR flights become complementary and should probably go away. SK is pushing connections on their new ATL flight and the BOS flight more than EWR for virtually all East-Coast/Mid-West bookings.

Fingers crossed SK and AF figure out lounge access.
Once DL and SK get some collaboration running, then yes there will be plenty of connections from JFK. Somehow I suspect the current schedule is mainly a grab the slots when we can, and just hold on to them until we can move everything strategy. Yes, I think they will eventually want to move everything out of EWR as without Star Alliance, there really is not much connection to be had there.

AF and SK will not sort lounges out until SK joins Skyteam, but for now, unlike T7 there are star alliance lounges in T1, so that is an improvement. Not that the Air France lounge in JFK is anything great.
SK2751 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 2:39 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Once DL and SK get some collaboration running, then yes there will be plenty of connections from JFK.
This is already the case, you can connect on DL coming off the SK flight to anything they offer out of JFK.

AF and SK will not sort lounges out until SK joins Skyteam, but for now, unlike T7 there are star alliance lounges in T1, so that is an improvement. Not that the Air France lounge in JFK is anything great.
Its not but the food is decent and better than anything SK offers in their lounges and proximity to departure gates when flying AF is great, we'll see what gates SK gets in T1. I do still hope that SK and ST airlines find ways to improve their collaboration including items like this before the end of the year.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is already the case, you can connect on DL coming off the SK flight to anything they offer out of JFK.

Its not but the food is decent and better than anything SK offers in their lounges and proximity to departure gates when flying AF is great, we'll see what gates SK gets in T1. I do still hope that SK and ST airlines find ways to improve their collaboration including items like this before the end of the year.
​​​​​​I saw an article, though I don't know how reliable the publication is, saying that SK terminated their codeshare agreement with TK for end of September as preparation for their ST transition. Maybe that's the time line we are looking at?
Old Apr 2, 2024, 5:03 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
we'll see what gates SK gets in T1. .
SK is using Gate 1 at T1, which is a narrow-body gate right next to the AF lounge. I believe one of the reasons SK has downgauged to the A321LR for JFK is because of the gate availability situation at T1 during peak times for widebody aircraft.

The SK check in counters are also right next to the AF ones (row B which is right around the corner from the AF ticketing and AF La Premiere check in desks).
Old Apr 2, 2024, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
SK is using Gate 1 at T1, which is a narrow-body gate right next to the AF lounge. I believe one of the reasons SK has downgauged to the A321LR for JFK is because of the gate availability situation at T1 during peak times for widebody aircraft.
That makes sense, I guess. Naturally if SK was to vacate EWR which should really be imminent, they'll need bigger planes at JFK. Again, fingers crossed SK and AF figure out lounge access in the current case. The flight times are probably better for connecting but I'll miss the SK920 late return.

The SK check in counters are also right next to the AF ones (row B which is right around the corner from the AF ticketing and AF La Premiere check in desks).
I don't believe in coincidence!
Old Apr 2, 2024, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
That makes sense, I guess. Naturally if SK was to vacate EWR which should really be imminent, they'll need bigger planes at JFK. Again, fingers crossed SK and AF figure out lounge access in the current case. The flight times are probably better for connecting but I'll miss the SK920 late return.
​​​​​You can't just move flights from EWR to JFK like moving from one parking space to another. JFK would require takeoff and landing slots, which SK does not have currently to cover its existing flights out of EWR. One solution would be to forgo its existing CPH flights capacity, and/or combine its two ARN/OSL flights into one. When you are in a financial bind, you can do foolish things, including pull out from EWR abruptly.

Separately, close to 30 airlines currently operate out of T1 with its 11 gates. Good luck at finding additional available gate spaces...but I hear SK can keep moving from one terminal to another like a lost child without any identity at JFK.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

​​​​​You can't just move flights from EWR to JFK like moving from one parking space to another. JFK would require takeoff and landing slots, which SK does not have currently to cover its existing flights out of EWR. One solution would be to forgo its existing CPH flights capacity, and/or combine its two ARN/OSL flights into one. When you are in a financial bind, you can do foolish things, including pull out from EWR abruptly.

Separately, close to 30 airlines currently operate out of T1 with its 11 gates. Good luck at finding additional available gate spaces...but I hear SK can keep moving from one terminal to another like a lost child without any identity at JFK.
So they need to find both landing slots and gates in the same terminal.... Or they can operate from 1,4, and 7 (until 7 is demolished) just to confuse people.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 3:12 am

The point isn't how hard it is to move from EWR to JFK but the fact that continuing to fly to EWR without UA codesharing being pointless. I'm sure a handful of people could find connections on AS or B6 or even take a DL connection with an additional stop but most people would be looking for the traditional ARN/CPH-EWR/JFK-XXX (destination) routing and opt for alternatives. I'm sure this situation isn't trivial for SK to navigate but there are really only hard/expensive/uncomfortable decisions to be made on this one.

I'd donate a kidney if SK would pull SK903 from EWR and use the plane to fly to a meaningful airport outside of the NYC metro and let DL handle ARN-JFK traffic and just codeshare that route.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
The point isn't how hard it is to move from EWR to JFK but the fact that continuing to fly to EWR without UA codesharing being pointless. I'm sure a handful of people could find connections on AS or B6 or even take a DL connection with an additional stop but most people would be looking for the traditional ARN/CPH-EWR/JFK-XXX (destination) routing and opt for alternatives. I'm sure this situation isn't trivial for SK to navigate but there are really only hard/expensive/uncomfortable decisions to be made on this one.

I'd donate a kidney if SK would pull SK903 from EWR and use the plane to fly to a meaningful airport outside of the NYC metro and let DL handle ARN-JFK traffic and just codeshare that route.
You are grossly overstating people relying on connections at NY airports. Close to 80% of all passengers start and complete their journey at EWR (75% for JFK). SK has experienced consistent 460K passengers range on a 12 month running average for a while now. Good luck replacing those numbers at JFK without slots and gates.
SK2751 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 5:55 am

Thanks for the heads up.

we have a flight in June and I was trying to be efficient and pre-booked parking at JFK. Planning on T7. Unfortunately, T1 parking is under construction. Ugh. Since SK is in flux, I think I will pre-book parking for T1 and then cancel the week before which one is a duplicate. (I think I have 24 hours before to cancel).

best options for close parking for T1?
Old Apr 8, 2024, 5:37 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Konismarck
A star alliance terminal ?
Access to Air France lounge then? Should be reasonable.
JFK T1 was built by a JV of AF/KE/LH in the 90s when neither were part of any alliance. In 2026 LH & co will move to the new T6 beside the current T5, other T1 occupants are scheduled to move to the NTO which started construction in 2022.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
JFK T1 was built by a JV of AF/KE/LH in the 90s when neither were part of any alliance. In 2026 LH & co will move to the new T6 beside the current T5, other T1 occupants are scheduled to move to the NTO which started construction in 2022.
Good info about T6.

One minor clarification, the current T1 also had JL as a founding partner; though JL moved to T8 last year to be close to AA and other OW carriers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.