Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS to fly to JFK [merged discussion thread]

SAS to fly to JFK [merged discussion thread]

Old Nov 26, 2022, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I doubt Tokyo is coming back until the Russian airspace is available again.
Lets see, it could take years for that to happen. I have a booking in April, SAS has padded the schedule to fly around Russian air space, return leg is now 13 hours 55 minutes to CPH.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by view
Lets see, it could take years for that to happen. I have a booking in April, SAS has padded the schedule to fly around Russian air space, return leg is now 13 hours 55 minutes to CPH.
The outbound tour market over here continues to struggle. JAL and ANA are slowing recovering international traffic, but far more is connecting traffic, so I am not convinced that SK will make a come back by end of March. They need to wait until they can make money on it.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 2:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Repooc17
In what ways? Other than Delta, SK is the only nonstop offering between CPH and NYC.
CPH-NYC is dependent on connecting EU traffic with final destination in NYC, so SK has to sell the route at a discount to fill it. EWR atleast has options to connect to UA's network for onward travel. This summer an atrocious amount of spare capacity was thrown at JFK (AF had 8 flights from CDG alone), since Asia is likely to be closed in S23 that will be the case again. Add to that flyr, norse and other dingdongs flying to JFK and dumping prices (just look at what is going on ex BER: <300 rt fares) the LO/TP/SK trifecta will get very bloody flying to JFK with their legacy cost structures.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
CPH-NYC is dependent on connecting EU traffic with final destination in NYC, so SK has to sell the route at a discount to fill it. EWR atleast has options to connect to UA's network for onward travel. This summer an atrocious amount of spare capacity was thrown at JFK (AF had 8 flights from CDG alone), since Asia is likely to be closed in S23 that will be the case again. Add to that flyr, norse and other dingdongs flying to JFK and dumping prices (just look at what is going on ex BER: <300 rt fares) the LO/TP/SK trifecta will get very bloody flying to JFK with their legacy cost structures.
It's the same for all the airlines with the closure of Asia and their ability to find revenue (as you decribe with AF) so for SK to use that environment to send up a test balloon with a A321LR is after a bit of reflection a good choice in my book. It would probably be more costly to leave the aircrafts on the ground in the long run? Then one could argue why not go for YYZ, YUL ect. but knowing the Canadian marked very well I wouldn't have gone that route either.

Even though I didn't see JFK as a option for the A321LR I'm not so sure its a bad ide anymore. It will be the only *A carrier connecting the largest metro area in the Nordics with JFK and when the Cruise traffic picks up again there will be a lot of UA elites from parts of Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Long Island, Westchester County and Connecticut that will fill the seats. Guess that what SK is counting on with the big summer bird.

I really hope that it's going to be a permanent addition to SK route map!
Old Nov 29, 2022, 2:01 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
What a pathetic move and another instance of SAS completely ignoring their customers.

Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad
On another more general aviation forum someone said this wouldn't scare Delta, but I think that misses the point. Despite everything we moan about, SAS has strong airline loyalty in Scandinavia, so if you're not going further than NYC a flight on SAS with EuroBonus points, lounge(s), upgrade possibilitys, and good connections from the whole SK network is going to be more appealing than Delta.
SAS still needs to add value to a traveler. Unless a corporate traveler is bound to fly SAS by a corporate agreement first, they have options and if SAS can't meet most of their travel needs, they will likely not use it. Also this is another NYC route, they one thing the Nordics DID ABSOLUTELY NOT NEED is more flights to NYC. Also DL flies directly to ARN from JFK with great timing so I doubt anyone would choose to connect in ....ty CPH. More and more folks in Scandinavia are waking up to SAS just being garbage, specifically if you're not close to CPH.

"We are very pleased to launch our new route to JFK. SAS offers a solid product to Newark Airport from Scandinavia, and we believe that this addition to JFK from Copenhagen will strengthen the New York offer to our customers. The US is a strategic market for SAS, and we will continue to develop new routes and destinations whenever the right opportunity presents itself".

This reads as: "We still had some A321-LRs on the shelf and since DL is filling planes from JFK and we can't use this useless aircraft anywhere our customers want to fly, we'll just copycat their route."

Last edited by FlyingMoose; Nov 29, 2022 at 2:11 am
Old Nov 29, 2022, 4:47 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Yep, since a LR can't fly to CPH from anywhere else than YYZ, BOS or NYC thats what they are stuck with. Exploring flights to Iran or Pakistan to serve the large migrant VFR market in NO/SE is probably to risky. Restarting India to feed the US/CA flights is too much, I suppose. LO & AY are filling their TATL nicely with feed from DEL/BOM nowadays. Doesn't earn much, but fills the seats and pays the bills so they can make good profits with the Europe-US traffic.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 5:02 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Yep, since a LR can't fly to CPH from anywhere else than YYZ, BOS or NYC thats what they are stuck with. Exploring flights to Iran or Pakistan to serve the large migrant VFR market in NO/SE is probably to risky. Restarting India to feed the US/CA flights is too much, I suppose. LO & AY are filling their TATL nicely with feed from DEL/BOM nowadays. Doesn't earn much, but fills the seats and pays the bills so they can make good profits with the Europe-US traffic.
SK restarting CPH-DEL would mean running against headwinds from Air India’s re-starting service in 2023.

Most of the Iranians in Scandinavia don’t seem all too eager to visit Iran, so THR bites the dust.

ISB/LHE or KHI service? Would fly better from Norway than from Sweden or even Denmark, but even PIA can’t make OSL fly very well.

TK and the GCC3 have the Scandinavia-Central and South Asia market, and SAS doesn’t seem to want to do much of anything there. The Indian population in Sweden is growing far faster than the Pakistani population. [And so SAS moving into Pakistan just isn’t going to happen.] Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s going to go in the same direction in Denmark and Norway too, if it hasn’t happened already with Indian growth exceeding Pakistani growth. No matter the population dynamics, when was the last time that SAS was interested in serving a VFR market that isn’t oriented toward where the SAS-loyal Svensson crowd wants to go for vacation?

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 29, 2022 at 5:17 am
Old Nov 29, 2022, 8:44 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Considering there are many Business travellers for which NYC still means JFK (EWR not being an option for some reason) I guess this could make sense? I am more surprised they are not moving one of the CPH EWR flights to JFK, but having a presence in JFK to allow for more traffic to be captured could make sense.

I am still dreaming about seeing CPH-SIN one day... But might not be realistic with SQ operating CPH-SIN atm.
Maybe somewhere in Africa or South America? I think it is more likely we'll see another NA destination...
Old Nov 29, 2022, 8:48 am

Well, A321LR or XLR can't make it to BKK, so thats a moot point

4000nm from CPH gives you the following:

The moment norse/flyr open a B789 direct service to JFK for 200€ rt from CPH or ARN (like they did from BER and now from CDG) the SAS service gets soaked in deep red.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 10:42 am
Suspended

SAS in MSP would be very much to my liking.
FlyingMoose likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Maby they should just make everybody happy.
Burlington with guided tours to Ben & Jerry's
Old Nov 30, 2022, 4:25 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by GUWonder
SAS in MSP would be very much to my liking.
Would donate a kidney if someone would fly to MSP directly from ARN.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 4:40 am

Well, A321LR or XLR can't make it to BKK, so thats a moot point

4000nm from CPH gives you the following:

The moment norse/flyr open a B789 direct service to JFK for 200 rt from CPH or ARN (like they did from BER and now from CDG) the SAS service gets soaked in deep red.
This also shows they could have gone with CPH-ATL or ARN-IAD, new routes with more value rather than a 5th flight to New York.
AutismoSupremo likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 8:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Good thing that you said ARN and not CPH, as youre far more likely be keeping an emergency back-up kidney as well as the other than if you said CPH. I am pretty sure that the chance of there being a MSP-ARN regularly scheduled common carrier passenger flight is almost certainly far lower than for CPH-MSP not that either are likely to happen anytime soon.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 3:47 am

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
IAD for me, only SAS flight using IAD right now is from CPH on a narrowbody A321. Would love to try it out someday but the lack of seats means the tickets are always horrifically expensive to boot, if I have to connect I might as well go through FRA where there's better options. Always found it odd that IAD has such a minimal SAS presence given that it's a major Star Alliance hub.
jamiel likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.