Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Maintaining EuroBonus status - COVID-19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maintaining EuroBonus status - COVID-19

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2020, 1:36 am

Hello xxxx

Thank you for writing to us.

Due to these extraordinary circumstances, SAS has decided to offer EuroBonus members a 12-month extension of their current membership level.

The extension will be applied automatically to active EuroBonus accounts where the member has achieved current membership level on their own merits, either by earning qualifying points or qualifying flights. It applies to members that have a qualification period with an expiry date between 31 March 2020–28 February 2021.

This means that if you are a Gold member with a qualification period expiry date October 2020, and membership level expiry date 31 January 2021, your Gold membership level will be extended to 31 January 2022.

As such adding these status points will not be necessary, and your current period will also count as a valid year for Lifetime Gold (LTG).

Please write to us again if you have more quetions.

Best regards,

xxxxxx xxxxx
Traveler Consultant
SAS Customer Service

SAS
Scandinavian Airlines System
CPH-Flyer and JR67 like this.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 1:56 am

Programs: EBG (*G), QR Gold
SAS have now extended EB status for 1Y for those not caught in the first wave of extensions:

Som tack för din lojalitet kommer vi därför att förlänga din nuvarande medlemsnivå i 12 månader.* Det gör vi automatiskt för dig vars kvalificeringsperiod slutar någon gång mellan 31 mars – 30 april 2021. Förutsatt att du har kvalificerat dig till din nivå genom egna meriter, antingen via intjäning av Baspoäng, Statuspoäng eller via resor med SAS och Widerøe.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 2:21 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Since the pandemic doesn't appear to be over soon, I wonder hoe many more times SAS will extend status...
Old Nov 16, 2020, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by Nick Art
Since the pandemic doesn't appear to be over soon, I wonder hoe many more times SAS will extend status...
Bigger issue is... will they come around and make an exception for the life time status?
Old Nov 16, 2020, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by fassy
Bigger issue is... will they come around and make an exception for the life time status?
They supposedly did for the first round....
Old Nov 16, 2020, 4:43 am

Programs: EBD (*G) & Delta Gold Medallion (STE+)
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I’ve been told by Gold support (email) that the LTG extension will not be visible until the end of the 3 month grace period.

Maybe someone can confirm that is the case? My period runs out on 31 Dec so I can’t see it yet.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 4:50 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Originally Posted by SASegments
I’ve been told by Gold support (email) that the LTG extension will not be visible until the end of the 3 month grace period.

Maybe someone can confirm that is the case? My period runs out on 31 Dec so I can’t see it yet.
The first round of extensions, for which I just barely qualified (my period is until Feb), does indeed count towards LTG. I've confirmed so with two Support Agents and the SAS Covid-19 FAQ clearly states that the courtesy extension counts towards LTG. Personally I'm hoping for either another extension that counts towards LTG next year, or at least a reduction of the bar of points to renew status.
https://www.flysas.com/en/traffic-in...ona-eurobonus/
Old Nov 16, 2020, 5:37 am

Would be a good time to switch from individual qualifying periods to a general Jan-Dec scheme. Extend everyone to Dec 2021 and then start fresh into 2022.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 5:45 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Would be a good time to switch from individual qualifying periods to a general Jan-Dec scheme. Extend everyone to Dec 2021 and then start fresh into 2022.
I don't really see the benefit from such a change. I'm very happy with my Mar-Feb scheme. All my travel is always in April & June and August&September. Which means in the very rare cases that I wouldn't have enough points I can always go on a quick vacation in February, which is the only time I'd actually be free anyway
Old Nov 16, 2020, 6:51 am

I think it would make more sense for SK to switch to the system used by AY and BA: count the total number of points (or segments) earned since joining the programme and set a limit for lifetime status. The current system where SK has to extend status and grant a year for free doesn't give customers the incentive to book SK flights in the long run.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 3:38 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

No! No touching of the lifetime Gold System for the next six years please!
Old Nov 23, 2020, 1:41 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
I’m more worried they’ll go down a route where non-SK flights count less or not at all towards status, and give less award earnings. I seldom travel domestically or to the US, so if that happens I might as well look for greener pastures.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi
I’m more worried they’ll go down a route where non-SK flights count less or not at all towards status, and give less award earnings. I seldom travel domestically or to the US, so if that happens I might as well look for greener pastures.
Count less maybe, they already do in some ways. Not count at all, they can make cheapo booking classes zero earning, but making partners not count at all would not go over well on the Star Alliance side.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 7:55 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Lufthansa have this limitation on HON status, and if I understand it correctly the new M&M status qualification system also punished non-LH group flights quite severely. However, LH group actually have global coverage, whereas SAS have a very limited foot print outside of Scandinavia.

Let’s hope they don’t go down this path. Business travel will remain depressed for a long time and might not come back to anywhere near what it used to be, so expect a massive culling of status holders once the free extensions expire.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi
Lufthansa have this limitation on HON status, and if I understand it correctly the new M&M status qualification system also punished non-LH group flights quite severely. However, LH group actually have global coverage, whereas SAS have a very limited foot print outside of Scandinavia.

Let’s hope they don’t go down this path. Business travel will remain depressed for a long time and might not come back to anywhere near what it used to be, so expect a massive culling of status holders once the free extensions expire.
If looking at the levels above the standard Star Alliance gold, like HON of LH, GS of UA, PPS of SQ, and even Pandion of SK it is quite normal that these are basically focused on each carrier's own metal.

It also not unusual that the earnings on own metal is more favourable than on partners. But removing it completely is not a scenario.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.