Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Maintaining EuroBonus status - COVID-19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maintaining EuroBonus status - COVID-19

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2020, 2:15 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
So been in contact with the Diamond email reps, and SK refuses to budge on what I think is a bizarre policy of crediting mileage for canceled trips only (given that they make more money off of last minute bookings from business travel). Most Diamonds (probably) don't fall in the category of booking a couple of annual vacations 6 months in advance, but rather frequent trips booked close to the travel dates.

In the mean time at least half a dozen other airlines have extended status or made some kind of concession for their members (including Norwegian!). SAS on the other hand doesn't want to "compensate" for the months of the current membership year that can't be used (e.g. extend status by corresponding period after situation returns to normal - as they seem capable of doing for other things like partner award bookings etc).
Old Apr 7, 2020, 5:27 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
once things settle down and flights resume IF SK is still around I Will empty out my eurobonus account fast.

no love lost eitherway but ALOT of points collected as a EBD. now might as well use them up before SK goes away. these kinds of customer "friendly" policies will help SK down further.

I am sure the SK loyalists see this is good business but I for one do not think they are seeing the big picture for the future for the company.

I am allready softlanded to EBG so I only lost lost my 3 month part of EBD which is not really anything so no skin off my back but for many the results are much worse with trips cancelled!
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:02 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Deleted

Last edited by JR67; Apr 10, 2020 at 1:16 am
Old Apr 13, 2020, 3:50 pm

Programs: EBD (*G) & Delta Gold Medallion (STE+)
So SK is crediting points for cancelled flights until 15 May and it seems that they are good for LTG as well.

There seems to be no mention of segments however.

https://www.flysas.com/us-en/traffic...ona-eurobonus/

Does anyone know if the segments are credited as well? It would be nice to get the points but I need the segments to keep my status.

I also had a long haul LH flight that was cancelled. Will SK credit those points or will LH maybe do that (the points were going to be credited to EuroBonus).
Old Apr 14, 2020, 5:34 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
The same message also clearly states that we should not hope for qualification period extensions.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 6:11 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by SK2751
The same message also clearly states that we should not hope for qualification period extensions.

if they end up doing it this way and giving members the middle finger they are bound to lose members inmasse!

what worries me is they have made it impossile to use points now with remeption limits and stopping star alliance bookings...

not good
Old Apr 14, 2020, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by kauppias
if they end up doing it this way and giving members the middle finger they are bound to lose members inmasse!

what worries me is they have made it impossile to use points now with remeption limits and stopping star alliance bookings...

not good
They started with an option that was good for a short term problem. Credit the flights that were cancelled by this situation. Had travel started again May and June, all would have been fine.

However, now they will need to come up with something new, as people will not have many cancelled flights any longer. They could choose to stop do anything. The logical things would probably be to add a year of status to people with expiry June through October or November, and then see what happens a few months down the road.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 5:43 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefined
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefinedThey started with an option that was good for a short term problem. Credit the flights that were cancelled by this situation. Had travel started again May and June, all would have been fine.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefinedHowever, now they will need to come up with something new, as people will not have many cancelled flights any longer. They could choose to stop do anything. The logical things would probably be to add a year of status to people with expiry June through October or November, and then see what happens a few months down the road.https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefined
I don't think that'd be fair.

My period ends in February and I only have two travel periods a year usually. April and August/September.

April is already down the drain and my other flights aren't looking to well either.

They should just prolongue the status for everybody by a year imho.

If they lower the qualifications as well that'd be appreciated because with all currently booked flights I'd have a chance to get close to diamond this year
kauppias likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 5:46 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by SASegments
So SK is crediting points for cancelled flights until 15 May and it seems that they are good for LTG as well.

There seems to be no mention of segments however.

https://www.flysas.com/us-en/traffic-information/faq-corona-eurobonus/

Does anyone know if the segments are credited as well? It would be nice to get the points but I need the segments to keep my status.

I also had a long haul LH flight that was cancelled. Will SK credit those points or will LH maybe do that (the points were going to be credited to EuroBonus).
Would be great if they'd list any contact possibilities apart from phone. Trying to find the gold email again is a hassle... Would anybody happen to have it on hand?
Old Apr 14, 2020, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Nick Art
I don't think that'd be fair.

My period ends in February and I only have two travel periods a year usually. April and August/September.

April is already down the drain and my other flights aren't looking to well either.

They should just prolongue the status for everybody by a year imho.

If they lower the qualifications as well that'd be appreciated because with all currently booked flights I'd have a chance to get close to diamond this year
My year ends in Feb as well. Though my travel is spread out over the year, Star Alliance really only get the slim pickings where One World is not the most efficient, so I generally need the full year at the moment to qualify. Of course I would prefer a one year extension and be done with it. It would cause less headaches in managing requalifications, I could just ignore Star Alliance for the rest of the year, and focus on One World. Though I am not sure that is what they would want.

The fun challenge is that there is no one size fits all, and what good for one may not be good for someone else. Though their current more individualised approach is going to collapse, the manual work required is hopeless. I suppose it is already an issue. Doing the status extension in a rolling flow until we see an end to travel restrictions is in my view the best approach. I'd probably say that people who had 4 or 5 months cut from their qualification period with travel at a standstill should get an extension. But SK will have the numbers to hone that number of months to better number. But still, they can't hit everyone's travel pattern perfectly.
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 9:55 pm

they should just have a solution to be fair across The board so either +6mo or +12months for EVERYONE!

IF they were smart they would also do a DEQM promo when this blows over, it willl be a tough time for airlines soon enough, the smart ones will stay afloat, and while I am not a SK fan I dont want them to go belly up either
Old Apr 14, 2020, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

they should just have a solution to be fair across The board so either +6mo or +12months for EVERYONE!

IF they were smart they would also do a DEQM promo when this blows over, it willl be a tough time for airlines soon enough, the smart ones will stay afloat, and while I am not a SK fan I dont want them to go belly up either
DEQM on SK flights could be a good way to manage as well, once people can start travelling again. Good for people trying to maintain status, and for SK to steer business their way. But until that point is there, a lot of people will potentially have lost their status.

It would be easier to manage in a fixed qualification period year.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer

DEQM on SK flights could be a good way to manage as well, once people can start travelling again. Good for people trying to maintain status, and for SK to steer business their way. But until that point is there, a lot of people will potentially have lost their status.

It would be easier to manage in a fixed qualification period year.
I was actually suggestion status extension AND DEQM promo 😁😂

SAS is really dragging their feet on this... EVEN AA beat them to the punch 😁😁
Old Apr 15, 2020, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was actually suggestion status extension AND DEQM promo 😁😂

SAS is really dragging their feet on this... EVEN AA beat them to the punch 😁😁
I know you did. I cut it down a bit intentionally.

I think the US airlines announced their extensions prematurely, there was no rush. But once Delta went ahead the others had to follow. With a fixed calendar year for qualifications, they had eons of time to look at how things developed and then take action. SK is dragging their feet, as the situation is already clear and present for many members.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 4:32 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Really how hard would it be to "pause" all memberships/extend them by a period equal to how long the situation lasts. Their current approach penalizes people (like me) who do not have advance bookings.

My membership year ends end-April, and while I'm at 90% required for requalification, I can't requalify because I lost 1-2 months of my membership year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.