Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Bloomberg article on SAS - can’t be good

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bloomberg article on SAS - can’t be good

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2019, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by highupinthesky
At CPH, the LH group airlines together occupies more than 4 gates full time. That's more than norwegian occupies.
The number of full-time gates doesn't say a whole lot about how many flights and passengers an airline has at a given airport. Norwegian has way more flight movements at CPH than LH group airlines do.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The number of full-time gates doesn't say a whole lot about how many flights and passengers an airline has at a given airport. Norwegian has way more flight movements at CPH than LH group airlines do.
I'm not sure that is the case anymore. Norwegian have cut a lot of flights out of CPH during the last 6 months. There are days where they have no long haul flights in CPH at all. 6 months ago, they would have at least 2 long haul flights every day.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 1:54 pm
Suspended

I'm not sure that is the case anymore. Norwegian have cut a lot of flights out of CPH during the last 6 months. There are days where they have no long haul flights in CPH at all. 6 months ago, they would have at least 2 long haul flights every day.
LH group has no scheduled long-haul passenger flights at CPH at all this year. And Norwegian has way more short-haul flights from CPH than LH group airlines, even as it's less of a difference than at this time last year. Either way, Scandinavian flight movements and passengers for LH group airlines are a much smaller fraction of the LH group business than such movements and passengers are for SK and DY.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 2:04 pm

LH group has no scheduled long-haul passenger flights at CPH at all this year. And Norwegian has way more short-haul flights from CPH than LH group airlines, even as it's less of a difference than at this time last year. Either way, Scandinavian flight movements and passengers for LH group airlines are a much smaller fraction of the LH group business than such movements and passengers are for SK and DY.
I know LH don't have any long haul out of CPH, but it's not just the long haul that DY have cut in CPH. A lot of the short hauls have been cut too. DY are serving more destinations out of CPH than the LH group, but I'm pretty sure the LH group have more flights and is moving more pax's on short haul in/out of CPH than DY at the moment. When you add the long haul, DY might move more pax's in/out of CPH, but not if you look at short haul alone.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 2:27 pm
Suspended

I know LH don't have any long haul out of CPH, but it's not just the long haul that DY have cut in CPH. A lot of the short hauls have been cut too. DY are serving more destinations out of CPH than the LH group, but I'm pretty sure the LH group have more flights and is moving more pax's on short haul in/out of CPH than DY at the moment. When you add the long haul, DY might move more pax's in/out of CPH, but not if you look at short haul alone.
Norwegian is indeed a fraction of what it was 12 months ago at CPH, while LH group goes from strength to strength in serving CPH, but the point really is that LH group isn’t as heavily dependent on Scandinavian traffic for its financial performance as SAS or Norwegian is and thus it’s not as objective to use LH financials as the basis for applauding SAS as to use DY.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 3:49 pm

Norwegian is indeed a fraction of what it was 12 months ago at CPH, while LH group goes from strength to strength in serving CPH, but the point really is that LH group isn’t as heavily dependent on Scandinavian traffic for its financial performance as SAS or Norwegian is and thus it’s not as objective to use LH financials as the basis for applauding SAS as to use DY.
It is when we look at the LH group in/out of Scandinavia. But we can also just look at the number of pax's which goes through the airports, and here SK have higher growth than the airports, meaning they are taking pax's from the other airlines. DY have lost a number of pax's but it's not just from here SK is getting there growth.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 4:01 pm
Suspended

It is when we look at the LH group in/out of Scandinavia. But we can also just look at the number of pax's which goes through the airports, and here SK have higher growth than the airports, meaning they are taking pax's from the other airlines. DY have lost a number of pax's but it's not just from here SK is getting there growth.
SK’s improved growth and performance and DY’s better performance is largely explained by this:

When the Swedish housing market is “too” frothy/expensive for most of the remaining wannabe buyers of their own place (sort of), there tends to be some leftover money to be spent on travel and other entertainment. When the bulk of the Scandinavian labor market is tight, the employed may have way more money to speed on travel and entertainment, more so when housing affordability isn’t increasing big time anytime soon and so there is even more of the mentality of “live/spend for today because the welfare state’s safety net has us anyway and that dream home is nowhere near now.””

And DY’s retreat — and even Thomas Cook’s problems — have also been to SAS’s benefit (and DY’s in a way).

The measure of SK’s performance and the sustainability of performance are best measured once it has had a major recession as its stress test. Looking good when times are sort of great in one’s home market doesn’t require all that much business acumen, especially not when the other major home market competitor has been on a major retreat.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 2:06 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The DY troubles were omni present in July too, in fact they are doing (or atleast giving the impression of doing) a bit better in Q3, so that can't be it. TCook going bk can't be such a big factor in the nordics... the cooling down of world markets will rather intensify the longhaul business as people are not willing to fly for even 3000 SEK to the US to pay the fuel bill...? That SK will get low operating cost A359 this year is no news either.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 4:59 am

SK’s improved growth and performance and DY’s better performance is largely explained by this:

When the Swedish housing market is “too” frothy/expensive for most of the remaining wannabe buyers of their own place (sort of), there tends to be some leftover money to be spent on travel and other entertainment. When the bulk of the Scandinavian labor market is tight, the employed may have way more money to speed on travel and entertainment, more so when housing affordability isn’t increasing big time anytime soon and so there is even more of the mentality of “live/spend for today because the welfare state’s safety net has us anyway and that dream home is nowhere near now.””

And DY’s retreat — and even Thomas Cook’s problems — have also been to SAS’s benefit (and DY’s in a way).

The measure of SK’s performance and the sustainability of performance are best measured once it has had a major recession as its stress test. Looking good when times are sort of great in one’s home market doesn’t require all that much business acumen, especially not when the other major home market competitor has been on a major retreat.
Your argument still doesn't explain why SK is performing better in the last quarter than comparable airlines. But let's agree to disagree.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 6:05 am
Suspended

Your argument still doesn't explain why SK is performing better in the last quarter than comparable airlines. But let's agree to disagree.
The most comparable large airline to SAS in having a very high proportion of its revenue tied to the Swedish+Danish+Norwegian market condition is Norwegian/DY. Beside perhaps Finnair, every other large scheduled common carrier airline is far removed from having even a relatively moderate financial dependency on these three Scandinavian countries’ economic situation and are not comparable to SAS or even Norwegian/DY.

I get it that some want people to believe or sell the narrative that SAS has done something truly extraordinary in recent months, but I’m not one to buy or sell such marketing hype.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 6:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The DY troubles were omni present in July too, in fact they are doing (or atleast giving the impression of doing) a bit better in Q3, so that can't be it. TCook going bk can't be such a big factor in the nordics... the cooling down of world markets will rather intensify the longhaul business as people are not willing to fly for even 3000 SEK to the US to pay the fuel bill...? That SK will get low operating cost A359 this year is no news either.
TC going bankrupt created problems for the charter package sellers in the region who started to have their customers flock toward SAS for holiday period travel too. This is in small part why SAS is going to have a relatively decent Q4 too.

The primary Swedish stock exchange index has done rather well this year, and has been up c 25% YTD. SAS hasn’t outperformed that by any substantial multiple during the same period and has underperformed that index’s performance. For the July-to-date picture, SAS has done fine in terms of its stock price.

https://www.tradingview.com/symbols/OMXSTO-SAS/

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 9, 2019 at 6:32 am
Old Nov 9, 2019, 7:27 am

I get it that some want people to believe or sell the narrative that SAS has done something truly extraordinary in recent months, but I’m not one to buy or sell such marketing hype.
I'm not getting my info from the press releases. I'm getting it from professional stock analytics I know.

TC going bankrupt created problems for the charter package sellers in the region who started to have their customers flock toward SAS for holiday period travel too. This is in small part why SAS is going to have a relatively decent Q4 too.
The bankruptcy of TC came too late to have any real impact on the last quarter earnings. Yes it might impact the year result, but I strongly doubt it's the whole reason for rasing the predictions from 0 or below to 500mill DKK or above.

The primary Swedish stock exchange index has done rather well this year, and has been up c 25% YTD. SAS hasn’t outperformed that by any substantial multiple during the same period and has underperformed that index’s performance. For the July-to-date picture, SAS has done fine in terms of its stock price.

https://www.tradingview.com/symbols/OMXSTO-SAS/
Again. I'm not talking about the stock prices. I'm talking about the key performance parameters like yield, load factor, ASK, RPK etc. All parameters where SK, to my knowledge, have outperformed their competitors during the last quarter.

Last edited by highupinthesky; Nov 10, 2019 at 5:48 am
Old Nov 10, 2019, 4:16 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
The bankruptcy of TC came too late to have any real impact on the last quarter earnings. Yes it might impact the year result, but I strongly doubt it's the whole reason for racing the predictions from 0 or below to 500mill DKK or above.
The Scandinavian Thomas Cook companies are run profitably, and will continue to operate independently, under new ownership. There was some unrest and cancelled flights for a couple of days when TC went bankrupt, even some TC-passengers booked on joint SK-operated charters were denied booking. The TC debacle was quickly over here, and should really not affect SK earnings significantly.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by ksu
The Scandinavian Thomas Cook companies are run profitably, and will continue to operate independently, under new ownership. There was some unrest and cancelled flights for a couple of days when TC went bankrupt, even some TC-passengers booked on joint SK-operated charters were denied booking. The TC debacle was quickly over here, and should really not affect SK earnings significantly.
There will always be an aftermath. People will panic, cancel their TC vacation and book on another carrier, or people will not trust TC Scandinavia and book their upcoming vacation somewhere else. But as I said. This is not enough to justify the improved year end result predictions from SK. The improvement in their key performance parameters is what drives this revised prediction.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 10:10 am
Suspended

The economic growth rates in SAS’s home countries seem to be dropping a bit. So that could mean one slight headwind against SAS. But as what are often taken as leading economic indicators, the stock prices don’t really seem to reflect much of that, so maybe the good times for SAS and Norwegian are not dead on arrival and just getting started?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.