Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Bloomberg article on SAS - can’t be good

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2019, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/a...-the-local-bus

“Troubled Scandinavian Airlines operator SAS AB is now smaller than a bus company.”

Hopefully SAS can recover or figure something out!!
Old Jul 5, 2019, 1:31 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Swedavia AB, which operates 10 domestic airports including the ones outside Stockholm and Gothenburg, has seen year-on-year passenger numbers drop for nine consecutive months, driven mainly by a decline in domestic travel. While there are many factors behind the drop, including a weak krona and the recent pilot strike, part of the slump can be explained by flying shame. At the same time, passenger numbers at state train operator SJ have jumped to a record.
What? Since has the train network expanded to be a viable alternative?
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
It might be a good time to buy some SK shares?
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
What? Since has the train network expanded to be a viable alternative?
if there is a place on Earth where the train system is more broken than in Germany, it is Sweden. Not sure I believe the whole flying shame thing, I do not know a single one around who does.
GUWonder and rickg523 like this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by fassy

if there is a place on Earth where the train system is more broken than in Germany, it is Sweden. Not sure I believe the whole flying shame thing, I do not know a single one around who does.
I have not taken many trains in Sweden or Germany, but Germany certainly seems to beat Denmark for train services. Though I was quite surprised at the inefficiency of the ICE timetables. Maybe I am just too used to Japanese trains.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Expanded train network or not, train reliability is not good in Sweden.

I too know no one who is into the “flying shame” thing in Sweden.

Several years ago someone asked me if I am concerned about my flying damaging the environment. I said I bike more than I drive myself and that I use mass transit on the ground and in the air. The person who asked me travels by air when able to afford to do so for vacation once a year but wouldn’t mind going more.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 1:30 am

Programs: More than one
if there is a place on Earth where the train system is more broken than in Germany, it is Sweden.
I'm pretty sure Denmark will give both Germany and Sweden a good run for the bottom spot.

Not sure I believe the whole flying shame thing, I do not know a single one around who does.
I'm not sure about the flying shame thing either, but it is a fact that domestic travel in SE has been on a steep decline in 2018 and it continues in 2019. The total number of pax passing through the Swedavia airports is going down. There is a slight increase in international travelers, but not enough to counter the drop in domestic pax's. Whether it's because of flying shame or not I don't know.

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I have not taken many trains in Sweden or Germany, but Germany certainly seems to beat Denmark for train services. Though I was quite surprised at the inefficiency of the ICE timetables. Maybe I am just too used to Japanese trains.
I was in Tokyo earlier this year, and was surprised to see that even in a 2 year old train with all the modern technology etc. they still have the spot in the dashboard where they put the old analog pocket watch and use this for keeping track of time. But I have to agree. The real complex trains service in Tokyo is unbelievable. If similar complexity existed in Copenhagen, 75% of the trains everyday would be canceled and not a single train would be on time. In Tokyo they manage to run it day after day with only minimal delays and almost no cancellations.
Franky16 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Hit by the weakness of the Swedish currency, the issues with the Swedish housing market, and the personal savings rates and returns, and what seems to be an increase in the cost of air travel within Sweden at least when I look for myself, it shouldn’t be a surprise that demand for domestic air travel is down. Add in the impact of weather conditions on demand for travel during the longest Swedish block vacation periods, and escaping home hasn’t been all what it used to be. Add in that a slice of business travel can be conducted via say Skype business video conference calls and th like, and it shouldn’t be a surprise that the demand profile has changed on that end too.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:05 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Also try taking the train north of Sundsvall... unless you are iron ore no one will transport you.

https://www.sj.se/content/dam/SJ/bti...20-%20webb.pdf
GUWonder and Passmethesickbag like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:34 am

Looking at the Eurostat data for Q1 2019 I can't see any significant reduction of air pax carried: http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/...a_paoc&lang=en
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Looking at the Eurostat data for Q1 2019 I can't see any significant reduction of air pax carried: http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/...a_paoc&lang=en
Is that number for domestic or domestic and international? It's only the SE domestic travel which is dropping. There is a slight increase in international travel in/out of SE.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: Aadvantage, EBS
Picked up some SAS stock. Not expecting a quick turnaround, but considering that the numbers travelling will get higher and SAS has made a new deal with its crew, hoping some traction in a year perspective.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 3:59 pm

I don't (globally) disagree: as I said, I have no "on the ground" knowledge.

But I would say to this... "... obviously people who travel by train based on some political or sociological agenda for sure will rate a train higher than e.g. a flight which goes against all they believe in" ... The people reported by the ministry are a random collection of Swedes, not just "people who travel by train based on some political or sociological agenda." Those of us who disparage the railroad would be the reverse of that coin.

The question is (or was): "is 'flight shaming' hurting SAS?" It may be, regardless of the reasons.

Last edited by bluemarble; Jul 9, 2019 at 4:07 pm Reason: Bad punctuation
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:29 am

Programs: SK, KL, FI
Originally Posted by budenholzer
Picked up some SAS stock. Not expecting a quick turnaround, but considering that the numbers travelling will get higher and SAS has made a new deal with its crew, hoping some traction in a year perspective.
You know what's the best way to become a millionaire?

Become a billionaire and then buy airline stock.

(nice to see that I'm able to post again and not get the message that I used my 5 post and that makes me unable to post more, by the way).
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:57 am

For me, the deciding factor is reliability. And there air travel beats train systems by far according to my experience.
GUWonder likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.