Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Optiontown - Upgrade on SK flights
SAS Scandinavian Airlines offers, via partner Optiontown, all customers the opportunity to purchase an upgrade on SK operated flights, which will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure, pending on seat availability.

SAS Go passengers can purchase an upgrade to SAS Plus on all flights and to SAS Business class on SAS’s intercontinental flights between Scandinavia, the US and Asia, while SAS Plus passengers also can buy an upgrade to SAS Business class on intercontinental flights.
Booking class Europe: A (SAS Plus)
Booking classes Intercontinental: Z (Business) and P (SAS Plus)
Note: All upgrades will be handled by Optiontown.
Contact to Optiontown

Phone: UK +44 (0) 203 371 7854
E-mail: [email protected]
Homepage: www.optiontown.com
Upgrade fees

Intercontinental flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR140 and EUR900, depending on availability, destination and service class.
European flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR30 and EUR75, depending on availability, destination and service class.

EUR 1 (one) for short haul flights
EUR 5 (five) for long haul flights.
Note: During the period 10JUN15-31AUG15, no sign up fee will be charged.
Reservation

All upgraded PNRs will be updated with and include OS SK OPTIONTOWN UPGRADE.
Reservation for non 117-documents (only applicable on long haul flights)

Reservations for non 117-documents will be updated by Optiontown with the following information:

OS SK UTO
SR CKIN SK KK. ATTN CHECK-IN. UTO PSGR. PLS UPGRADE TO (CLASS) ACC TO PROC ON SKXXX (DATE), UPG ALREADY PAID BRGDS REV MNGT.
Note: Tickets will not be reissued and upgrade will take place at check-in counter.
Rebooking
If the passenger wants to rebook a flight with confirmed upgrade via Optiontown, always use the original ticket fare, found in TWD, to calculate the fare difference.
Change fee must be collected if applicable for the original ticket.

Refund

After requesting upgrade it is not possible to change or cancel the upgrade request.
Upgrade amount is not refundable.

If the passengers upgrade request is not successful, the upgrade fee will be refunded.
Optiontown must be contacted for refund.
Restrictions

Upgrade of the following passengers cannot be performed:

Travel Pass passengers
Groups (booking class G)
Passengers holding award tickets (booking classes I and X)
ID-passengers (booking classes R and N)

Irregularity

Rebooking procedures for passengers with an upgrade, affected by irregularity:

Rebooking to other SK-flight
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is available - rebook the passenger in the upgraded booking class.
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is not available - rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.
Rebooking to other airline
Rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.

Note: In case of refund in above cases, the passenger himself must contact Optiontown and request refund.
Benefits

The upgraded passenger is entitled to:

Baggage allowance according to the new class
Star Alliance Priority tag
SAS Business check-in
Fast Track security
SAS Lounge access
EuroBonus points earned according to the new class
Onboard service according to the new class

Passenger process

Passenger makes a reservation on an SAS operated flight. Reservation must be confirmed.
Passenger logs onto www.optiontown.com, creates an account and enters credit card info.
Passenger can register the upgrade request immediately after reservation is made
Sign-up must be made latest 36 hours before departure

Optiontown selects the passengers to be upgraded according to conditions set forth by SAS

If there are seats available and the upgrade request is successful, the upgrade will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure.
Updated 03JUL15 08.57
Print Wikipost

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2015, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Swissairasia
You were right, fassy. Upgrade already went through today, 3 days before departure. I am super-happy. Thanks a lot!
Good, happy you

Enjoy the flight!
Old Aug 27, 2015, 6:06 pm

A little late, but went 2/2 with OT on a recent trip with SK946 and SK943. Those new A330 business cabins are delightful.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:05 am

I'm booked on CPH-EWR with return IAD-CPH later this month. Both flights still look quite open in all classes.

I've entered a request for an advance points upgrade in my EB account but thought about also trying OT to double my chances.

Is one or the other more likely to come through? If the points upgrade comes through first, in advance, will OT know it's happened so I'm not also upgraded and charged by them?

EDITED: Apologies, but I just realized I've already asked this question in another thread. I think I'm losing my mind.

This is from Plus to Business, btw.

I haven't checked the OT offer for the flights yet, but wondered if price tends to get lower closer in if seats are still available. I don't want to query it yet because if I don't request it I'm afraid the price will be higher next time I query it.

Last edited by SusanDK; Aug 28, 2015 at 12:20 am
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:29 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
The odds of being upgraded usually increase if you apply for both but in my experience, while I only use upgrades for my wife, there is no rational decision making process. Sometimes the OT clears, sometimes the point upgrade and we've had occasions where both where declined and she ended up with a complimentary upgrade when we got to the airport. We've also had both declined and then no problem upgrading with points at the airport, which is just silly as they could have not declined the point upgrade until the last minute.

If you want to land an upgrade, use all the available options and hope for the best. I would personally imagine SK to prefer paid OT upgrades over all other options but that is simply not the case, both from own experience and the numerous posts on the subject on here. Status also makes no difference, we've experienced a point upgrade given to a non-status EB member while EBD was declined.

The lack of transparency on this process is major disappointed expressed by numerous folks on here.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Status also makes no difference, we've experienced a point upgrade given to a non-status EB member while EBD was declined.
Thanks so much. For OT upgrades, do I have to have my EB account number on the record?

I had booked this reservation on SK's website and entered my husband's and my EB account numbers, and have now requested the points upgrade on the outbound (too soon to request points upgrade on the return).

However, I realize that if I use my UA account number, we'll qualify for E+ seating on the UA legs (didn't realize originally that an SK Plus ticket didn't qualify for E+ on UA), plus extra checked baggage / weight which would be useful for this trip, plus a possible complementary upgrade to first class on UA. I'm unable to edit our FF numbers on either SK or UA, so will have to call to do it.

But then I wondered if this would exclude me from either requesting the OT upgrade, and whether it would delete the points upgrade request.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by SusanDK
Thanks so much. For OT upgrades, do I have to have my EB account number on the record?

I had booked this reservation on SK's website and entered my husband's and my EB account numbers, and have now requested the points upgrade on the outbound (too soon to request points upgrade on the return).

However, I realize that if I use my UA account number, we'll qualify for E+ seating on the UA legs (didn't realize originally that an SK Plus ticket didn't qualify for E+ on UA), plus extra checked baggage / weight which would be useful for this trip, plus a possible complementary upgrade to first class on UA. I'm unable to edit our FF numbers on either SK or UA, so will have to call to do it.

But then I wondered if this would exclude me from either requesting the OT upgrade, and whether it would delete the points upgrade request.
OT doesn't care what FFP you use. They just look at the e-ticket and will exchange it if the upgrade clear for a new one. So you still can have your UA number registred. I think if you do the upgrade with points you will need to have the SK FFP registered.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 3:07 am

Got cleared for SK 935 CPH-SFO tomorrow, cheapo-economy (L) to Z at 413$ per pax.

Does anyone know if it is possible to check-in online in the 22 hr range when I have an LX feeder? LX opens check-in 23 hrs before the first departure so I tried that already but it says that the SK flight cannot be checked in. Seat selection tool on SK is closed, and expertflyer shows all open seats as "blocked". Not a show stopper, but I'd prefer to sit together with my +1 and as the flight looks pretty full I figured my chances with early online check-in are better...
Old Aug 28, 2015, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by rower2000
Got cleared for SK 935 CPH-SFO tomorrow, cheapo-economy (L) to Z at 413$ per pax.

Does anyone know if it is possible to check-in online in the 22 hr range when I have an LX feeder? LX opens check-in 23 hrs before the first departure so I tried that already but it says that the SK flight cannot be checked in. Seat selection tool on SK is closed, and expertflyer shows all open seats as "blocked". Not a show stopper, but I'd prefer to sit together with my +1 and as the flight looks pretty full I figured my chances with early online check-in are better...
Call SAS and get seat assignments, should be free for Z class pax. Anyway, I think getting seated together with your +1 is not a problem. If you cannot get seats allocated next to each other just solve it in the cabin asking for a switch. Most people will be okay traveling alone switching aisle for an aisle ()or windows for a window
Old Aug 28, 2015, 4:54 am

Programs: SAS/A* DIAMOND/GOLD, GHA Black, HHonors Diamond
I know it's in the thread somewhere, and I've searched through the hundreds of pages with no luck. So sorry to ask this;

Is the case now, that Optiontown upgrades does not earn you anymore Eurobonus points than your original ticket? Is Optiontown upgrades now only for actual comfort? Does this also mean, that the intra-european upgrades are worth almost nothing?

Sorry again for the update question and thanks for any reply!
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by don_hansen
I know it's in the thread somewhere, and I've searched through the hundreds of pages with no luck. So sorry to ask this;

Is the case now, that Optiontown upgrades does not earn you anymore Eurobonus points than your original ticket? Is Optiontown upgrades now only for actual comfort? Does this also mean, that the intra-european upgrades are worth almost nothing?

Sorry again for the update question and thanks for any reply!
No, the ticket will be re-issued in a higher booking class. Z for int'l business and (allegedly) A for EU Plus). You'll get miles accordingly.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:04 am

No, the ticket will be re-issued in a higher booking class. Z for int'l business and (allegedly) A for EU Plus). You'll get miles accordingly.
Lately (since couple of months) they have upgraded intra-Europe in C or Z as well. Not sure if that's a glitch or intended but works quite reliable.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:37 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Since it is a paid upgrade your revenue ticket gets reissued in a new revenue class, you get points for the new revenue class.

What you read is probably about SK's own upgrade offering which is the opposite, you get a higher service class but it becomes a non-revenue ticket so you earn according to your original ticket. Making an upgrade intra-Europe indeed not worth it.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond
Z intra EU(All 3 OT upgrades within the last month has been in Z and also for everyone I know) ^
Old Aug 31, 2015, 1:12 am

Programs: SK-EBD
Originally Posted by MrCharming
Z intra EU(All 3 OT upgrades within the last month has been in Z and also for everyone I know) ^
I can confirm this. 2 out of 2 in the last month went through and both into Z (1 coming from low eco, the other from high eco).

One was for a Danish domestic(!) just to try it out. You gain absolute nothing in comfort/catering*, but in terms of basic point-earning it may be one of the cheapest ways. For $38 my earnings increased from 315 to 1.250.

Which means that 1.000 points costs approximately $40 dollar, while a Scandinavia-US upgrade from eco to biz cost approximately $75/1.000 points.

*In fact, if you are not EBG/EBD this is an ok way to get business check-in, extra luggage, fast track and lounge (if departing from CPH/GOT/ARN/OSL).
Old Aug 31, 2015, 2:08 am

Programs: EBD (*G), Le Club Gold
Another datapoint: was upgraded from U to Z on my IAD-CPH flight on Aug 29th. Booking class bins on expertflyer were wide open until a few days before, and tickets were available on sas.dk. In real life, eco was packed, as was plus as far as I could see. Business had a handful of free seats.

First time I've flown business, probably the last 'opportunity' for me to try the old C cabin...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.