Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Massive fire in NorCal causing flight delays and bad air Aug 2020->

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2020, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Yeah, air in sf is Moderate yellow. I’m not yet going for a walk but I might open a window.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by gaobest
Yeah, air in sf is Moderate yellow. I’m not yet going for a walk but I might open a window.
It isn't that bad today. Even yesterday afternoon, flying through that muck, I still walked home from the BART station (about a mile). We're back in the air quality level that is much better than the San Fernando Valley summer air I grew up in, which was probably like smoking a pack a day when I was a kid. And then I worked in a restaurant (with smoking, of course), and cleaned out ashtrays with the same rags I'd wipe the tables. (That was per the boss, not my own idea.) I've had the good fortune of living with some of the cleanest urban skies since I'm 19. We've gotten snowflaky to the extreme around here when it comes to air quality. I've said it before - what we're seeing today was just called "air" when I was young ... and it wasn't even called bad air. We'd have PE until the LAUSD would send a message to the schools - I believe that was an AQI reading of 200. I fortunately had one good PE teacher who said that if he couldn't see the hills (not too many miles north), you don't run.

I'm not making light of the air quality we've been suffering. It has been disgusting, debilitating, and unhealthy. But today? No marathon running for sure, but my windows are open.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
It isn't that bad today. Even yesterday afternoon, flying through that muck, I still walked home from the BART station (about a mile). ...
I’m impressed that you weren’t mugged or attacked. I won’t even walk much near bart stations in SF during the day even in crowds. Too many whack jobs and petty thieves. A decade ago, Glen Park bart people were mugged when walking from bart to their cars.

and good reminder that today’s moderate air was normal air back in the 20th. Easy to forget. I even used to sit in Economy on Peoples Express airlines.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest
I’m impressed that you weren’t mugged or attacked. I won’t even walk much near bart stations in SF during the day even in crowds. Too many whack jobs and petty thieves. A decade ago, Glen Park bart people were mugged when walking from bart to their cars.

and good reminder that today’s moderate air was normal air back in the 20th. Easy to forget. I even used to sit in Economy on Peoples Express airlines.
I lived @ Civic Center SF for 3 years, once upon a time. A daytime walk through Berkeley is not going to scare me. I've also been known to walk (although without any luggage, etc.) between Jack London Square and Downtown/Uptown Oakland, yes, under the freeway. The air is bad down there even on the clearest breeziest day that can be. (On the other hand, dogs take particular interest in sniffing the shoes after walking through there.)
Old Sep 15, 2020, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

enjoying nice Sf air and I grilled supper for the first time in weeks!

I lived @ Civic Center SF for 3 years, once upon a time. A daytime walk through Berkeley is not going to scare me. I've also been known to walk (although without any luggage, etc.) between Jack London Square and Downtown/Uptown Oakland, yes, under the freeway. The air is bad down there even on the clearest breeziest day that can be. (On the other hand, dogs take particular interest in sniffing the shoes after walking through there.)
I used to take bart to the stop near Jack London Elbo room for evening concerts and then wait 5-10 minutes for a lyft for that 2-minute journey. No way was I walking from bart to JLEB. No way.

I used to bart to civic center and walk to hayes valley every week 2015-2018 and then decided to pay extra and drive & park nearby. I got fed up with walking the civic center area.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 8:54 pm

It.) I've had the good fortune of living with some of the cleanest urban skies since I'm 19. We've gotten snowflaky to the extreme around here when it comes to air quality. I've said it before - what we're seeing today was just called "air" when I was young ... and it wasn't even called bad air.

I'm not making light of the air quality we've been suffering. It has been disgusting, debilitating, and unhealthy. But today? No marathon running for sure, but my windows are open.
I was thinking of this the other day, when we were at the Museum of London last year there was en exhibition that talked about how sooty London was in the 50s. Completely black and dark was “normal”. So glad we have cleaned up our act.

The air was great today, was finally able to go out and go for a bicycle ride. I needed to stretch my legs.

*****disclaimer, I dont remember much from that exhibit, I think it was the 1950s, could have been the 1850s, or even the 1970s
Old Sep 15, 2020, 9:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
How strange it is to be giddy over normal air quality index numbers and having the windows and doors open this afternoon / evening.
tom911 and estnet like this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boxo
How strange it is to be giddy over normal air quality index numbers and having the windows and doors open this afternoon / evening.
2020 has made me appreciate things better than ever. I’ve made whole lifestyle changes for overall improvement.
I used to walk a lot and now I’m limited by air quality in my decision to go for a walk. So funny for this type of change.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 12:10 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Saw some readings down to 1 in San Francisco and Martinez this morning. Nice to see the fog not competing with smoke. View of the hidden Carquinez Bridge:

dhuey and Zorak like this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 11:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Ah yes -- I remember clean air.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Enjoying the clean air while we can.

and I grilled outdoors for Tuesday luncheon. First time grilling in weeks.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice far west coast air. Enjoy while we can...
Old Sep 23, 2020, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Air is a wee bit better now!
Old Sep 23, 2020, 7:34 pm
mjm
Original Member

Gorgeous out there today
dhuey likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, Wednesday was the first day in ages that I didn’t check AQi. Wow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.