Wiki Posts
Search

Massive fire in NorCal causing flight delays and bad air Aug 2020->

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2020, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are vineyards at risk? Any evacuation orders?
Lots of evacuation orders. Lots of vineyards in harm's way. Even UCSC has been evacuated.
It must be something to see the 747 tanker flying at low altitude in the firefight.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experi...1snzpGrKPZWZwg

Current Sonoma Co. evacuation areas. There are also some Napa/Lake/Solano evacuations, and substantial evacuations in the Santa Cruz / San Mateo regions close to the coast.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Yup. And winds shifted so air is now horrible in our neighborhood. Not that anyone is traveling but this is definitely not a good time to visit California.
estnet likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 6:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
The Woodward Fire southwest of Point Reyes looks like very bad news for SF Bay Area air quality. I'm not even sure they're going to try to fight that one unless it gets close to Olema or Bolinas. Northwesterly winds are blowing so much smoke from there to here. That might go on for several days.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Yup. And winds shifted so air is now horrible in our neighborhood. Not that anyone is traveling but this is definitely not a good time to visit California.
Hey, you're Blackhawk-adjacent. I'm sure Blackhawk has some special secret "smoke avoidance" device behind one of its gates or another
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhuey
The Woodward Fire southwest of Point Reyes looks like very bad news for SF Bay Area air quality. I'm not even sure they're going to try to fight that one unless it gets close to Olema or Bolinas. Northwesterly winds are blowing so much smoke from there to here. That might go on for several days.
Send rakes! (Oh wait, most of that is Nationally-managed land.)
boxo likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
2 of the NorCal fires have burned 200k+ acres as of Friday evening and are now ranked in the top 5 largest fires in history of the Bay Area. More lightning may arrive Monday thanks in part to the tropical storms coming up from the south.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Hey, you're Blackhawk-adjacent. I'm sure Blackhawk has some special secret "smoke avoidance" device behind one of its gates or another
]

nah, but a major PG&E executive lives there so we we are PG&E Zone 50 and there will never be a rotating power outage or safety shutdown here. Though the power went out 2x last weekend due to an old transformer that always blows when temps >100. Quickly fixed so it’s hard to complain

Last edited by Boraxo; Aug 21, 2020 at 8:37 pm
Old Aug 21, 2020, 11:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I see the governor has requested Canadian and Australian firefighters today. Is there any scheduled service still running between the U.S. and Australia? I know Qantas kept some 787s behind in Australia, in case something comes up, but they're not running any U.S. scheduled service until probably next summer. Maybe RAAF or USAF aircraft instead?
Old Aug 22, 2020, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Big Basin Redwoods State Park has been consumed by wildfire.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 12:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by tom911
I see the governor has requested Canadian and Australian firefighters today. Is there any scheduled service still running between the U.S. and Australia? I know Qantas kept some 787s behind in Australia, in case something comes up, but they're not running any U.S. scheduled service until probably next summer. Maybe RAAF or USAF aircraft instead?
UA is flying SYD-SFO daily.
tom911 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 9:52 pm

Thank you, winds! I don't know how long this will last, but very little if any smoke in the air as of this afternoon in Berkeley.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 11:53 pm

Lots of evacuation orders. Lots of vineyards in harm's way. Even UCSC has been evacuated.
It must be something to see the 747 tanker flying at low altitude in the firefight.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experi...1snzpGrKPZWZwg

Current Sonoma Co. evacuation areas. There are also some Napa/Lake/Solano evacuations, and substantial evacuations in the Santa Cruz / San Mateo regions close to the coast.
I'm in the takeoff path from the air tanker base -- it's very impressive to watch the huge jumbos loaded and climbing heavy and loud as the lumber into the sky and off to the fires. Counting from flightaware, they've been running the 747 and 2 DC-10 tankers on ~15 flights a day much of this past week (but it's been so smoky here that I can't always see them). I believe there are several smaller tankers also.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you, winds! I don't know how long this will last, but very little if any smoke in the air as of this afternoon in Berkeley.
It is returning - not bad earlier today, despite the slight orange tint in the morning overcast, but the stench is returning. (Perhaps in the rarefied air of your elevation, you will be spared.)
Old Aug 23, 2020, 2:49 pm

It is returning - not bad earlier today, despite the slight orange tint in the morning overcast, but the stench is returning. (Perhaps in the rarefied air of your elevation, you will be spared.)
I think you and I are pretty much in the same soup. At some point early this morning the smoke returned, and it's still here now. We don't have it as bad as further inland, but it's unpleasant.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you and I are pretty much in the same soup. At some point early this morning the smoke returned, and it's still here now. We don't have it as bad as further inland, but it's unpleasant.
It's really bad right now in Sacramento. Though we had the windows open early this morning
Old Aug 23, 2020, 3:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
It is pretty unhealthy thru the region today and dry lightening predicted for tonight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.