Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Massive fire in NorCal causing flight delays and bad air Aug 2020->

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2020, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I drove with headlights. It’s all surreal.
but alas air in sf is again bad.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
Welcome to Mars...
https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/commen...years_on_this/

dhuey, KathyWdrf, Boraxo and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Meanwhile the sky is brighter but the air is just atrocious - second day in a row with AQI readings nearing 300. I am "looking forward" (not really the right term) to flying over all of this in a couple of days - it must be quite something over Northern Cal and Oregon right now.
[I am, actually, looking forward to breathing clean "HEPA-filtered airplane air through an N95 mask, followed by 20-ish hours of fresh outdoor air.]
Old Sep 11, 2020, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The air supposedly improves for a bit for San Francisco on Saturday morning, then worsens until Monday. Then better Monday. Supposedly.

anyway I drove to fetch groceries and wore my kn95, Jaanuu mask, and gaiter (mostly to impede masks from falling) between the time I exited house and the time I re-entered my house. Stunning to see so many people outside even though it’s normal. Worse to see a queue of people waiting for a food bank, since we know they’re lined up and in queue for awhile. After getting my groceries and while driving home, I noticed that the queue had grown longer. I wouldn’t know when the queue moved but I was positive that for both directions, the people were standing in queue and not walking while in queue. I know it’s normal for them and ouch.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Meanwhile the sky is brighter but the air is just atrocious - second day in a row with AQI readings nearing 300. I am "looking forward" (not really the right term) to flying over all of this in a couple of days - it must be quite something over Northern Cal and Oregon right now.
[I am, actually, looking forward to breathing clean "HEPA-filtered airplane air through an N95 mask, followed by 20-ish hours of fresh outdoor air.]
I flew from ONT to PDX last night. You learn very quickly about the air exchange between the plane and the outside when it's this smokey.

It was very smokey in Ontario, and we took off to the west, right into the denser smoke. It stayed smokey inside the plane til we were clearly above the smoke top. Descending into PDX it was obvious when we hit the smoke tops right around 10K feet. It was eyewatering. It actually improved a little as we got lower down, around 5K and below, where you could finally see lights on the ground. PDX air was off-scale bad when I got in, and is just shy of 300 where I am now. We've got a big HEPA filter going and turned on the furnace blower to circulate the cleaned air and add a little filtering through the furnace filter. It's actually not bad in the house, but you can't go outside.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by gaobest
The air supposedly improves for a bit for San Francisco on Saturday morning, then worsens until Monday. Then better Monday. Supposedly.

anyway I drove to fetch groceries and wore my kn95, Jaanuu mask, and gaiter (mostly to impede masks from falling) between the time I exited house and the time I re-entered my house. Stunning to see so many people outside even though it’s normal. Worse to see a queue of people waiting for a food bank, since we know they’re lined up and in queue for awhile. After getting my groceries and while driving home, I noticed that the queue had grown longer. I wouldn’t know when the queue moved but I was positive that for both directions, the people were standing in queue and not walking while in queue. I know it’s normal for them and ouch.
If you need a "gaiter" to keep the mask(s) from falling the kn95 isn't close to being effective A (medically) properly fitted n95 couldn't possibly "fall" (unless the elastic broke and even then probably the second one would keep it relatively tight). While I know yours isn't medical the idea that it is loose enough to "fall" suggests that you want to do something (other than a gaiter) to have better protection to keep it really tight to your face (adjust the straps or...............)
Sure hope the poor people who had to wait in queue were wearing masks and distancing - the only positive is that the last few days the temps have been reasonable. Thank god no more 100 in San Mateo (well at least for now).
TWA884 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by estnet
If you need a "gaiter" to keep the mask(s) from falling the kn95 isn't close to being effective A (medically) properly fitted n95 couldn't possibly "fall" (unless the elastic broke and even then probably the second one would keep it relatively tight). While I know yours isn't medical the idea that it is loose enough to "fall" suggests that you want to do something (other than a gaiter) to have better protection to keep it really tight to your face (adjust the straps or...............)
Sure hope the poor people who had to wait in queue were wearing masks and distancing - the only positive is that the last few days the temps have been reasonable. Thank god no more 100 in San Mateo (well at least for now).
the gaiter is for the Jaanuu - I have a big head. I also hadn’t worn a kn95 before so I didn’t need to risk anything extra. Plus I have the gaiters so it’s nice extra protection. The kn95 fits fine as to be expected but again no need to risk anything with a new garment!

the people in queues for food bank seem to cooperate with social distancing and masks, although I didn’t look too closely since I was driving.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We’ve made the nytimes

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/12/h...e=articleShare
Old Sep 13, 2020, 5:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by gaobest
We always make the NYT when bad stuff happens in California. They seem to enjoy some schadenfreude with that.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bad air today - 150/170 range, which is unhealthy.
we drove to fetch some stuff but mostly in car, with recirculated air.
We drove past restaurants with outside dining and queues of people waiting for outside dining.
we drove past carryout sandwich places with entry queues.
We drove past Ocean Beach area (before where the great highway is closed) and saw loads of cars and people not experiencing homelessness.

With bad air, I hated to be out running errands and I can’t believe that so many people were fine being out in this unhealthy air. I don’t get it and yes, I know people like to smoke and drink alcohol despite the risks. Or eat despite risks of cholesterol obesity diabetes and other eating issues.

Originally Posted by dhuey
We always make the NYT when bad stuff happens in California. They seem to enjoy some schadenfreude with that.
we make the nyt with good news as well. like tech and wealth and re and charity and art and sports
i think nyt just loves Sf like they love nyc :-)
Old Sep 13, 2020, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Smoke plumes through the smoke over Northern Cal today.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Smoke plumes through the smoke over Northern Cal today.
I'm flying PDX-ONT on tuesday during daylight. I don't expect to see much more than that, based on how much smoke cover there was on the way up.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looking down at Lake Merritt on OAK approach this afternoon.

At least a few stars are out tonight.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 10:43 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Arriving in to SFO this evening

tom911 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 12:09 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Air quality down to 72 along the Benicia waterfront (hovered between 158-162 during the day yesterday), with blue skies. Have Sierra this week and we're out for the first time on a 90 min walk. Have been substituting short 10-15 min neighborhood walks the last five days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.