Wiki Posts
Search

Massive fire in NorCal causing flight delays and bad air Aug 2020->

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2020, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by dhuey
Even with AC at full blast my house is now 75 F.
air quality ok for AC?
we have no AC and with air so bad, it’s no longer a legit regret. I can’t use AC when the smoky air enters through that vent. Yes we have air purifiers but...

we use swamp coolers and ice. Much ice. It’s 79 in sf at 11:40p.
I’m going to get another Bingrae Melona popsicle. Mango was good so I’ll try the banana.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by dhuey
Even with AC at full blast my house is now 75 F.
Last night was unpleasant (putting it mildly). Unfortunately the 1 room portable AC requires that the exhaust goes in the window, which is close to the street ... not conducive to sleep.

Sky is pretty gray looking west this AM.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by gaobest
air quality ok for AC?
we have no AC and with air so bad, it’s no longer a legit regret. I can’t use AC when the smoky air enters through that vent. Yes we have air purifiers but...

we use swamp coolers and ice. Much ice. It’s 79 in sf at 11:40p.
I’m going to get another Bingrae Melona popsicle. Mango was good so I’ll try the banana.
Yes, our central AC is nothing fancy, but it does have an air filter that seems to remove almost all of the smoke. At least we can't smell any in most of the house.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So glad it’s down to the 60s in sf. What a scorching weekend.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 11:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Red Flag warnings for much of Northern California due to high temperatures and high winds

PGE PSPS starting in a few hours for some of Northern California (including my place)

Walbridge Fire flareup and Mandatory Re-Evacuation Order for Zone 2E4 and Warning for Zone 1D5.

and now the Creek Fire

It ain't over yet
Old Sep 8, 2020, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Not great air today (understatement) but supposedly offshore winds will provide some relief starting on Thursday. Also the excessive heat (think highs of 110) has abated so the coming weekend may be quite tolerable in SF bay area.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Not great air today (understatement) but supposedly offshore winds will provide some relief starting on Thursday. Also the excessive heat (think highs of 110) has abated so the coming weekend may be quite tolerable in SF bay area.
sorry about your Air!
today was lucky good in San Francisco and I was able to be out in the afternoon.

I must return a cello tomorrow Wednesday to el cerrito and that’ll be a more interesting errand. I’ll survive.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Martian sunrise this morning. At least the temps are way down. Yesterday was forecast to be 90, and maybe reached 75. Ash on cars.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Martian sunrise this morning. At least the temps are way down. Yesterday was forecast to be 90, and maybe reached 75. Ash on cars.
Is a Martian sunrise this dim? It's 9:30 AM and there's barely any natural light coming into my house.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 11:05 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Welcome to Mars...

Turk & Masonic, San Francisco, 09:00 September 9, 2020

My cat is all weirded out and there are no birds on the bird feeder as they all think it's nighttime

estnet and Zorak like this.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Yes I felt like I woke up in a scfi story. So disorienting and weird. But the saddest was the firefighters caught in Big Sur fires yesterday

https://www.sfgate.com/california-wi...t-15551069.php
Boraxo likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 12:48 pm

The second picure, the bright white spot in the center is a a workman with a flood light trying to work.
Boraxo and Zorak like this.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
Welcome to Mars...

Turk & Masonic, San Francisco, 09:00 September 9, 2020

My cat is all weirded out and there are no birds on the bird feeder as they all think it's nighttime
I would imagine that all sorts of wild creatures are freaking out right now. They've never seen a day like this before. Few of their ancestors have, either.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
The most bizarre thing I have seen here in my lifetime. It feels like the end of days is coming. You have to wonder what is next...

Visitors looking for clean air should head to SLO or Lake Tahoe, though conditions can shift with the winds. Do not plan to drive up I5 or 101 into Oregon, where things are worse.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
The photos of SF posted above by others are good, but don't really do the phenomenon justice. It was VERY dark -- orange and dark -- most of the day today. Cameras are compensating for the low light conditions.

And yeah, it stayed very cool today, thanks to the blockage of sunlight by smoke and ash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.