Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

MyPoints [Master Thread]--NEW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 23, 2016, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: viajero boricua
Additional Info about MyPoints

UA occasionally goes out of stock, but usually returns within a few days.
Print Wikipost

MyPoints [Master Thread]--NEW

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2016, 7:37 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Too bad if MyP went away as I've had very positive experiences, even in getting a few minor problems resolved. Love the 15 points/$ for IHG, as they are now offering though it is normally only 5 per, since it comes out to between 8.5% (PayPal "GC" or deposit, so cash) to 11.67% (Staples, etc., at 12850 pt/$100 GC.) Plus, it posts and is available within 34 days (4 days for IHG to post to your account and then the usual 30 day MyP wait.) Much better than the seemingly open ended waits on most other cash back sites. I usually get the UA miles, so about 5+ miles/dollar for the 5k redemption.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 6:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Sky Miles
I wonder how you calculate value from Staples GC's @ 11.67%...

I usually (emailed them as I haven't seen those cards in a while and am almost due for another redemption) get $100 Sears GC's at the same 12850 MyP's as Staples and the value is 0.778% (these guys have been devaluating gradually those values, those used to go closer to 0.95-1.00% years ago), which is roughly average to better than for those $100 GC's (smaller GC's are valued in the 0.65-0.70% range).

I do think (haven't done the math) that's better % than the UA Mileage + miles, but some of you (this is a TRAVELER-RELATED PAGE after all...) may find them more than useful to top off the FF account and extending the expiration date for miles gotten at better (at or > 1%) rates.

PS: Of course, most of my MyP's are gotten through non-rev ways (like surveys), which increases slightly the value vs. buying stuff...
Old Aug 14, 2016, 7:43 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
IHG is (right now) 15 pts/$ divided by 12850 (points needed to the $100 GC) times $100 equals 11.673152 cents so 11.67%. So, not valuing the GC, just the points.

For UA miles it's 15 pts/$ divided by 13,000 times 5000 (miles) so 5.769 miles per dollar. Depending how you value UA miles, it might be better, as most of the awards I get on UA are minimum 2 cents per and some as much as 5 cents per.

Normally, IHG is 5 pt/$ so one-third as much as above. In that case, Ebates may be better.

The surveys are a waste of time. Best to "double-dip" on IHG as I do 75 to 100 nts/year and can get (minimal) points even for award stays.

Last edited by rbAA; Aug 14, 2016 at 7:54 pm
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:35 am

The problem to figure it by the rate given is precisely when temporary offers, such as the one you've exposed with IHG (3x normal). You can't accumulate at the promotional rate all the time (not only that, but you can accumulate for IHG stays / purchases, but you can't use MyP's for that same company), so the best way to figure the value is from the reward point of view, not what you accumulate with. Then you can compare with other ways of accumulation, like credit card purchases...

Also, I've usually (more than 90% of the time by my demographics) don't do the whole surveys, so it's the 5 MyP for a few seconds worth of computer time (full surveys are NOT a good value in ANY system they're offered).
Old Aug 20, 2016, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by viajero boricua
The problem to figure it by the rate given is precisely when temporary offers, such as the one you've exposed with IHG (3x normal). You can't accumulate at the promotional rate all the time (not only that, but you can accumulate for IHG stays / purchases, but you can't use MyP's for that same company), so the best way to figure the value is from the reward point of view, not what you accumulate with. Then you can compare with other ways of accumulation, like credit card purchases...
15/$ may be temporary, but it is frequent enough to use by planning ahead. Any analysis of value for reward is first to "cost" the acquisition of the point then do the math for the points required to redeem.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 9:12 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Have been running the My Points videos app for a few days with some mixed results. Device- a newer but cheap Android burner phone I got for $10 at Best Buy earlier this summer. The Swagbucks video apps generally run well on it, but the Mypoints videos app, which really is SB app clone, tends to freeze an awful lot and requires more babysitting than the SB apps.

Oh well- I just park it next to me while watching tv at night, and get an extra 30-100 points a day for what works out to be minimal effort- easier than the videos on the web site that you've always got to select and advance yourself.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 1:41 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton,
The "Find the Lucky Leaf for a chance to win a $75 Amazon.com gift card" promo is back and running between Sept. 5-9. Let's crowd source this info!
Old Sep 5, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton,
Today, it's in 'Checks In The Mail'
Old Sep 6, 2016, 7:10 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Today's Lucky Leaf is in Home Chef. Good luck.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 6:59 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Choice Privileges Gold
How long does it usually take for points for a Walmart in-store promotion to post? Walmart and Kraft were having one that ended Sept. 4, where you got points if you bought certain Kraft cheese at Walmart. and I uploaded my receipt on Sept. 3. They just decided to run the promotion again, so hopefully that won't slow it down. tls
Old Sep 7, 2016, 7:54 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Today's Lucky Leaf is in Back Joy.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, CC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by thelostshark
How long does it usually take for points for a Walmart in-store promotion to post? Walmart and Kraft were having one that ended Sept. 4, where you got points if you bought certain Kraft cheese at Walmart. and I uploaded my receipt on Sept. 3. They just decided to run the promotion again, so hopefully that won't slow it down. tls
It takes a few days.

I was able to get the second go around with target for $6.31. On 9/5, the cartwheel app had 25% off and I had a $2 off 3 coupon for hefty sliders.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 5:29 pm

5 points for the third day this week. Thanks for the info.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 8:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Shagboy
5 points for the third day this week. Thanks for the info.
Five points for me for the first time this contest!
Old Sep 7, 2016, 10:04 pm

No such luck on my 1st Leaf...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.