Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

MyPoints [Master Thread]--NEW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 23, 2016, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: viajero boricua
Additional Info about MyPoints

UA occasionally goes out of stock, but usually returns within a few days.
Print Wikipost

MyPoints [Master Thread]--NEW

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2016, 9:36 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
Is this a good or bad thing for us?
Not a clue. I can't imagine them keeping the programme going considering they own a different affinity site.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
Is this a good or bad thing for us?
I think its bad, they could put SB "restrictions" on us. Not disclosing anything since this is a public forum and companies are known to read here.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 10:47 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Sigh. 3K+ points from recent hotel stays listed as 'pending' rather than available for redemption. I stayed there; it's not like I can return the stays for credit (Okay, I know there are in theory ways to get a refund after the fact for a horrible stay but they're far more rare than refunds for physical good) And it seems like there have been a number of times when they've upped the number of points needed to redeem for something just when I was waiting for my points to get out of the penalty box.

Just feeling a little whiney, I guess.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 11:02 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by beachmouse
Sigh. 3K+ points from recent hotel stays listed as 'pending' rather than available for redemption. I stayed there; it's not like I can return the stays for credit (Okay, I know there are in theory ways to get a refund after the fact for a horrible stay but they're far more rare than refunds for physical good) And it seems like there have been a number of times when they've upped the number of points needed to redeem for something just when I was waiting for my points to get out of the penalty box.

Just feeling a little whiney, I guess.
I just credit to Ebates. Not worth the effort.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by uxb
I just credit to Ebates. Not worth the effort.
But with ebates there can be quite a delay in posting hotel stays as well. I believe it depends on the particular chain.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 8:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
But with ebates there can be quite a delay in posting hotel stays as well. I believe it depends on the particular chain.
IIRC, there can be delays of up to 90 days post-stay for some chains.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 4:15 am
uxb

Cash is king. That's all I'm saying.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by uxb
OK.... but the message you replied to was complaining about delays in posting.

So it seemed that your implication was that ebates posts faster, which (as a couple of us pointed out) is not always the case.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK.... but the message you replied to was complaining about delays in posting.

So it seemed that your implication was that ebates posts faster, which (as a couple of us pointed out) is not always the case.
To be fair, the original poster also complained about the point level for redemption jumped up while he was waiting for the pending to post, in several occasions in the past. That might be the reason why uxb suggested ebates. The cash earned rate is fixed at booking, no risk of devaluation on redemption levels.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 11:07 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Happy
To be fair, the original poster also complained about the point level for redemption jumped up while he was waiting for the pending to post, in several occasions in the past. That might be the reason why uxb suggested ebates. The cash earned rate is fixed at booking, no risk of devaluation on redemption levels.
Cash is king for many things, but I live in an expensive airfare area and can actually often come out ahead playing a little arbitrage with miles or points compared to the hard currency price, devaluations and all. At least until everyone goes to dollar-based redemption like WN has.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by uxb
I know thats right! LMBO!
Old Jun 27, 2016, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cash is king, but arbitrage using points/miles can work too. I go after some of both.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 3:34 am
uxb

Originally Posted by Happy
Not only that, but the rate of return is 2,5% on Ebates and Mr. Rebates whilst it's 1% on MyPoints. The frequent devaluation of points has made the choice abundantly clear IMHO.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 7:27 am

Cash is king, but arbitrage using points/miles can work too. I go after some of both.
This is true!
Old Jul 5, 2016, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachmouse
Cash is king for many things, but I live in an expensive airfare area and can actually often come out ahead playing a little arbitrage with miles or points compared to the hard currency price, devaluations and all. At least until everyone goes to dollar-based redemption like WN has.
If you are talking domestic travels you would better off to get the WN companion pass even it is a revenue based program.

It largely depends on the account balances one has in various programs.

Originally Posted by uxb
Not only that, but the rate of return is 2,5% on Ebates and Mr. Rebates whilst it's 1% on MyPoints. The frequent devaluation of points has made the choice abundantly clear IMHO.
I never use My Points to book / buy anything. I use Mr.Rebates on many hotel bookings not only it usually has higher % rebates but years ago Mr.Rebates made good on a sizable Marriott GC purchase when Marriott refused to pay. I felt with this attitude the site deserves my business. Cannot say the same with TopCash which constantly wiggled out rebates on hotel bookings that were months out. The most sleazy rebate site in my eyes.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 7, 2016 at 2:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.