Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can't add funds to Uber Cash (Amex credit?)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Can't add funds to Uber Cash (Amex credit?)

I am completely unable to add funds to my Uber Cash balance with a credit card. When I attempt it, I get this message:

Unable to complete purchase. There was an error processing your request.
When I use the same card to add funds to my wife's Uber Cash account, it works just fine. When I use the same credit card to pay for a ride, it also works just fine. It's only a problem when I try to add funds to my own Uber Cash account. Actually, I've now tried 5 different cards, including Amex, Visa, and Mastercard. I get the same error every time.

I should note that I also get an error when I try to use the $15 monthly Amex credit and the fare is higher than $15. It won't let me pay the balance with a credit card. So It only works if the fare is under $15.

Uber support has been completely and utterly worthless. 10 messages back and forth and they're still giving me inane suggestions like "check your CC expiration date." I'm thinking maybe this is a backhanded trick to prevent people from using the Amex credit.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:32 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Did you ever find a resolution to this? The same issue is happening to me. I was able to add the balance of my trip to my Amex, but when I attempted to add funds so I could tip the driver, none of my cards would work. I have also had no luck with Uber support. Thanks!
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Last month, I finally noticed (the hard way) that my $15/mon credit from Amex Plat was no longer being automatically applied to a fare, but that it was going into "Uber Cash" ... and when I failed to use the credit, it was lost ... and User Support refused to replace the lost credit. I asked for a copy of when/where users had been informed of this change in how the credit was applied. After 2 rounds of communication, they gave no answer and refused to respond any more.

Then yesterday, when trying to add $$$ to my Uber Cash, I got the same error message described above (" Unable to complete purchase. There was an error processing your request. ") when trying to add money with either of the 2 Amex cards that I have used as payment methods since signing up for Uber. Here is the first response to my query to them about what was going on
We understand that this card was previously working with your account, but we have recently identified that it is not compatible with our billing processes. While the Uber app accepts most standard payment methods, some cards and methods are not compatible and can't be used with Uber.As much as we'd love to make this available on your account, this option is not yet available from our end. John, if you have another set of payment method, we humbly suggest adding this directly to the app. Otherwise, you may purchase Uber gift card from a retail store or through the online store.retail - https://www.uber.com/gift-cards/where-to-buy/ online - https://uber.cashstar.com/store/buy/recipient Thank you for your understanding and we are hoping to see you riding with Uber. If you need assistance with anything else, please don't hesitate to reach out. We're always glad to assist.
Quite the non-answer, IMHO. I responded with essentially "The Amex card worked 2 days ago, why not now?" The response was equally uninformative;
i'm JXXXX from Uber's Priority Support Team. I hear your concerns, and I'm here to help.
It looks like the payment method you are trying to use is not compatible with our billing processes. While the Uber app accepts most standard payment methods, some cards and methods are not compatible and can't be used with Uber.You will need to add another payment method directly to the app. We accept a number of options - including Apple Pay, Android Pay, PayPal, Uber gift cards and others - in addition to most standard credit and debit cards.Thank you for being a gold member.
Anyone have more insight or explanation as to what's going on?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
No explanation, but I contacted Uber Support via Twitter, and eventually received the following response, after a few scripted replies:

We understand that this has been frustrating. We've escalated this to the appropriate team, who will follow up with you as soon as possible. When the time comes, please respond to them through the in-app help section or by e-mail. Thanks for your patience while we look into this.
They determined that "as a security precaution, a temporary hold was placed on your account". They made an adjustment to my account which resolved the issue. Hope this helps!
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
My saga continues:

Sent another in-app Help message/question yesterday. A few minutes later, I got a pop-up saying I had a response, but the actual message has never appeared.

Now an additional problem: Looking at the online account for the Amex card that was not accepted when I tried to add to my Uber Cash shows the card has been debited for the transaction. But my Uber Cash balance does not reflect the payment.

Very frustrating!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: in C/C++, Python, SQL
I'm having quite the time with Uber support right now as well. Similar situation, Uber Cash not being applied, even though I'm fairly certain I selected it, with the additional charges to go to my credit card. Asked about it, and they won't apply the credit because it's not enough to cover the trip. I found a cite in their help documentation which explicitly says that "you may choose to pay the remaining balance for the cost of the ride using your preferred payment method". Asked about that specific line, and got another support message repeating the info in the previous one, but now this time the've changed the badge at the end to "no further response required".

https://help.uber.com/riders/article...2-2acdd7990205

I mean, I'm sure it saves money to make the credit difficult to use, but it's not a good look for AmEx (I'm sure Uber doesn't care how they're perceived).
Old Dec 27, 2020, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
They fixed this problem a while back. But now, as of late December 2020, I'm experiencing it again. I can order a ride or uber eats using any one of my credit cards, but the system will not allow me to add to uber cash. I just get the idiotic message: "Something went wrong. Please try again."
Old Jan 27, 2022, 8:01 am

Ditto This is a repeating problem on both my act and my wifes
Luckily we are in NYC where real limo cos exist and we are moving our biz to them a bit more every time this happens. I thank Uber for making these high end cos welcome accounts like ours that don't run up thousands a month in rides. I'm sure Uber is quite happy to make their billions milking drivers and the masses rather than chase the high end of the market by actually providing service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.