Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experiences with Silvercar

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:09 pm

Does anyone have an experience renting a car from Silvercar and NOT selecting any insurance option but be covered by the primary insurance from a credit card? I tried to make a reservation with Silvercar and during the process you have 3 options regarding insurance: 1) Silvercar coverage: for a $49/day rent you pay $47/day in insurance covered by Silvercar
2) Personal coverage: you HAVE to enter your insurance carrier name
3) Corporate coverage: you HAVE to enter your corporate insurance name

There is no option to select NO insurance. I usually rent using my Chase Sapphire Reserve card which gives me primary insurance for up to $75,000 which is more than enough to cover an Audi A4. Thus, I was wondering how should I proceed with this reservation. Should I just enter CHASE under the Personal Insurance carrier name? Chase specifically says in their Guide of Benefits that you should decline any coverage offered to protect the car.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by santastico
Does anyone have an experience renting a car from Silvercar and NOT selecting any insurance option but be covered by the primary insurance from a credit card? I tried to make a reservation with Silvercar and during the process you have 3 options regarding insurance: 1) Silvercar coverage: for a $49/day rent you pay $47/day in insurance covered by Silvercar
2) Personal coverage: you HAVE to enter your insurance carrier name
3) Corporate coverage: you HAVE to enter your corporate insurance name

There is no option to select NO insurance. I usually rent using my Chase Sapphire Reserve card which gives me primary insurance for up to $75,000 which is more than enough to cover an Audi A4. Thus, I was wondering how should I proceed with this reservation. Should I just enter CHASE under the Personal Insurance carrier name? Chase specifically says in their Guide of Benefits that you should decline any coverage offered to protect the car.
I checked "Personal Coverage" and put "Chase Credit Card" in the field. Works just fine.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
I checked "Personal Coverage" and put "Chase Credit Card" in the field. Works just fine.
likewise. I just write Amex, never had a problem, or anyone ask to see anything
Old Feb 25, 2017, 7:40 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Used Silvercar in Las Vegas today. Pickup is at the Rental Car Center, then they drive you over to their place down the road to get your car.

It wasn't a great experience. We got no response to our "we're here, please come get us" text message while on the shuttle bus. No car waiting when we got there. Texted again, no response. Called the phone line, while they were sorting out what was going on a car showed up. Wasn't for us.

Turns out they had one person working for a "sold out" day. One person. To do all the pick-ups and drop-offs.

We eventually got our A4 but it took a lot longer than just booking through Avis and walking straight to a car in a sea of available cars.

Neil
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:27 pm

Do they have S cars? How do you pick one, just walk around and look at the badges on the back?
Old Mar 26, 2017, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Do they have S cars? How do you pick one, just walk around and look at the badges on the back?
Are you talking about S4s? I don't think so. I have never seen one and it doesn't make sense for them to have S4's. Just A4's, some that I have rented in the past have had the S-Line trim, just appearance bits. Depending on the location, they have a car or two ready in the lot and you scan the code on the window. They have all been the same in the past so there was no difference in picking them.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by eccentricfusion
Are you talking about S4s? I don't think so. I have never seen one and it doesn't make sense for them to have S4's. Just A4's, some that I have rented in the past have had the S-Line trim, just appearance bits. Depending on the location, they have a car or two ready in the lot and you scan the code on the window. They have all been the same in the past so there was no difference in picking them.
Cool. Thanks
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:35 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Looks like they are being acquired by Audi. Not sure what impact will that have. Ability to rent other Audi models?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by seawolf
Looks like they are being acquired by Audi. Not sure what impact will that have. Ability to rent other Audi models?
RIP. Hope it continues. I didn't mind renting from them when in DEN. But it seemed like they never had enough cars... Even though the guy said they had 300 in their fleet there.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:41 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
May we can now rent a R8?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I wonder if Audi is going to use the Silvercar brand for their self-driving cars, if they're currently working on any. Seems like it'd make sense considering where the industry's going.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:49 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Hopefully, it keeps silvercar prices and not Audi on demand prices (starting at over double what silvercar asks)...though having a few more options besides the A4 wouldn't be too bad...
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:04 pm

The 2 I rented each had over 35,000 miles on them.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Any recent experiences in PHX? Have a reservation in a couple weeks and any general tips would be helpful since we'll be keeping the car for a week. Do I need to ask/keep an eye out for 2017s vs. 2016s or anything?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
Any recent experiences in PHX? Have a reservation in a couple weeks and any general tips would be helpful since we'll be keeping the car for a week. Do I need to ask/keep an eye out for 2017s vs. 2016s or anything?
The do have some 2017's in the fleet, as the 2015/2016 models get retired (age or mile caps they self-impose). The 2017's honestly have a less aggressive front end so they are easy to pick out over the older models. Not too many differences inside, but the Navigation in the instrument cluster is very much improved over the older design.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.