Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experiences with Silvercar

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2016, 8:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
These guys are obviously doing well now: my recent Silvercar quotes have all been pretty high...$69/day+.

On one hand, bummer for me as I can't exactly expense $69 cars when Alamo is renting standard cars in our corporate system for $11. But good for them...I do hope their business model works, and I'll just get a Silvercar once in a while when they have a good promotion...
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by texasex95
Anybody know of where I can get a $75 first time rental code? Thanks!
The only one I seen recently was the ELEVATE75 code. That might not work anymore, since it was back in October. There was another code released on Valentines day for 15% off, CUPID15. Of course, there are always the $25 off referral codes. If you need one of those, let me know.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 5:37 pm

Recently rented from Silvercar at SFO again and noticed that they are refreshing their fleet, but it appears to be with the Premium (base) model A4. A few of them had the S-Line package. Navigation is still there, but they don't have the keyless entry where you just reach into the door handle and they don't have backup cameras. It doesn't seem to be a good direction that they are heading, IMO.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 11:17 am

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
DEN has an aging fleet (gentlemen told me they have ~150 cars?).

The first time I rented from them I had one with 23k miles. It was beat up. The second time I rented from them I got one with 38k miles and a horribly pitted windshield...

The guy I talked to however did say that they were due to be getting a refresh soon... All the ones in the garage (7 of them) were S-Line.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 3:00 pm

Got an email today for 20% off.

"It’s a big, beautiful world out there and Spring is the perfect time to see it! To help kick your trip off right, we’re giving you 20% off your next Silvercar rental through the end of April. You read that right - use SPRING20 and get 20% off - it’s our best deal this year! But act fast, this deal is good on reservations started by April 30th."
Old May 18, 2016, 9:32 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Wanted to see if anyone had any insight in to this:

Usually a hertz customer but want to try silvercar. I have no auto insurance as I live in a big city and have no regular access to a car. In California, one is required to have liability insurance when driving (and proof of that insurance) but rental car companies don't have to hold any liability insurance for the car. If I select the supplemental liability option, does Silvercar provide me with some printout showing I am covered for liability. With hertz, you get the print out of everything at the start but I imagine with the high tech paperless companies like Silvercar, I might not. Don't want to possibly get ticketed for lack of proof of insurance if stopped...
Old May 18, 2016, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Cityflyer10
Wanted to see if anyone had any insight in to this:

Usually a hertz customer but want to try silvercar. I have no auto insurance as I live in a big city and have no regular access to a car. In California, one is required to have liability insurance when driving (and proof of that insurance) but rental car companies don't have to hold any liability insurance for the car. If I select the supplemental liability option, does Silvercar provide me with some printout showing I am covered for liability. With hertz, you get the print out of everything at the start but I imagine with the high tech paperless companies like Silvercar, I might not. Don't want to possibly get ticketed for lack of proof of insurance if stopped...
California allows proof of insurance to be on a mobile device. I'm not sure if the Silvercar app would be able to show that if needed though, or if a mobile device is good enough proof for rental car coverage at all. That might be something that Silvercar CS will need to clarify for you.
Old May 23, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Curious if anyone has tried Silvercar ex-EWR...pretty solid offer right now - 20% off and a comp tank of gas...the cost for a 1-day rental this week is 40% cheaper than the rates I'm getting at National. I've used the service at SFO a couple of times and loved it.
Old May 23, 2016, 3:08 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by tmiw
California allows proof of insurance to be on a mobile device. I'm not sure if the Silvercar app would be able to show that if needed though, or if a mobile device is good enough proof for rental car coverage at all. That might be something that Silvercar CS will need to clarify for you.
Interesting to see that a mobile device is allowed to be used to furnish proof.

And I'll probably be calling the cs team this week to find out. Who knows if they know the actual answer though...

I also did a little digging and found the following on the CA insurance codes:

3. Evidence of coverage is stated on the face of the rental agreement or evidence of coverages provided to every renter who elects to purchase that coverage is indicated to the renter
Old Jun 2, 2016, 7:38 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by f0xx
DEN has an aging fleet (gentlemen told me they have ~150 cars?).

The first time I rented from them I had one with 23k miles. It was beat up. The second time I rented from them I got one with 38k miles and a horribly pitted windshield...

The guy I talked to however did say that they were due to be getting a refresh soon... All the ones in the garage (7 of them) were S-Line.
I think of all the locations Silver has, the cars @ DEN probably get the worse. The weather gets nasty in the winter and hit a lot of salt.

I personally rented during the first winter storm, and my wipers were frozen (imagine someone really trying to push them to work with ice).

Personally, I'd rather get a slightly dinged up A4 vs a Fusion anyday.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 4:45 am

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by Redwood839
I think of all the locations Silver has, the cars @ DEN probably get the worse. The weather gets nasty in the winter and hit a lot of salt.

I personally rented during the first winter storm, and my wipers were frozen (imagine someone really trying to push them to work with ice).

Personally, I'd rather get a slightly dinged up A4 vs a Fusion anyday.
The strange thing is the cars at DEN are from out of town. CA and NV. I guess they're moving cars around in the fleets.

I'd take a A4 over a Fusion in a winter storm any day. However if you're going to promote a "luxury" product, make sure your fleet reflects it.

I also hope they start thinking of a rewards program. Through multiple rentals I'm starting to think I should go back to the normal companies.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by f0xx
I also hope they start thinking of a rewards program. Through multiple rentals I'm starting to think I should go back to the normal companies.
That is one of the only things about Silvercar that I wish they had, some type of loyalty or reward program. I wonder why they haven't started one?
Old Jun 8, 2016, 8:05 am
Aman Contributor Badge

As I now have the car, I can report back re: liability insurance documents for future reference if anyone is looking for the answer:

The glovebox does indeed have the liability insurance document in it, even in CA....Speculation, but It seems to me that they might have state minimums on the car, despite them not being required to.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 9:59 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Cityflyer10
As I now have the car, I can report back re: liability insurance documents for future reference if anyone is looking for the answer:

The glovebox does indeed have the liability insurance document in it, even in CA....Speculation, but It seems to me that they might have state minimums on the car, despite them not being required to.
As a heads-up, that coverage might not cover you (i.e. the driver). It might only cover Silvercar themselves.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 8:41 pm

Programs: National EA
Has anyone seen any 2017 A4's on the lots?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.