FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Rental Car Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/rental-car-discussion-745/)
-   -   Experiences with Silvercar (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/rental-car-discussion/1683822-experiences-silvercar.html)

Steve Weagant May 30, 2015 9:02 am

Experiences with Silvercar

This is a new rental car company that rents Audi A4s

JDSR2012 Jun 7, 2015 7:06 am

It's awesome in my opinion. Other rental companies should watch out.

takeshi74 Jun 8, 2015 3:18 pm

They've been around for several years now and have been slowly branching out to new locations. I just used them for the first time in Denver and based on that experience I would prefer them in any location where they are an option.

seawolf Jun 8, 2015 7:25 pm

Experiences with silver car

At MIA, they drop you off right at the terminal when you return using the same car you rented. Not sure about other locations.

Cloudship Jun 10, 2015 1:03 pm

Be careful though - they authorize the full rental amount PLUS a $200 deposit. This is a deal breaker for a few day rental IMO.

cestmoi123 Jun 15, 2015 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Cloudship (Post 24949768)
Be careful though - they authorize the full rental amount PLUS a $200 deposit. This is a deal breaker for a few day rental IMO.

Deal breaker? For a 3-4 day rental, that's still less than $1k. If you don't have $1k in available credit on your card, you probably shouldn't be renting Audis in any case.

tmiw Jun 16, 2015 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Cloudship (Post 24949768)

I thought all rental car companies authorized at least the deposit so I don't see how that's a big issue.

Anyway, I'll be renting from DEN in about a week so I'll let everyone know how it goes. ^

takeshi74 Jun 16, 2015 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf (Post 24939814)
At MIA, they drop you off right at the terminal when you return using the same car you rented. Not sure about other locations.

They're located in the Canopy parking facility at DEN and use the Canopy shuttle.

Originally Posted by cestmoi123 (Post 24973576)
Deal breaker? For a 3-4 day rental, that's still less than $1k. If you don't have $1k in available credit on your card, you probably shouldn't be renting Audis in any case.

Yeah, not a deal breaker IMO either. My cards are typically at 10% or less utilization.

acarney Jun 30, 2015 2:01 am

I'm thinking of using them in October in Los Angeles since flying into LAX will be cheaper then BUR. I've also got a $50 promo for them which helps a lot. I think I was quoted $332 (this includes tax) for Tue 10am pick up till Sat 8pm drop off. Five days for that price in a nice car (that's going to have some pickup and go in traffic) with sat Nav & sat radio seems almost too cheap! (And that was before the promo code).

I wish they were on site & had a deal like ZipCar where I don't have to deal with a human at all (horribly antisocial when it comes to small talk :P) but far cheaper then a 3 Series from Avis (like $60+/day cheaper!)

I'm curious if anyone has any comments on the LAX location, any tips, or can answer this question. I'll be a first time customer which is the $50 promo code they gave me, but I'm wondering if I can still sign up via the conga and get the $25 referral bonus... Or if that would be double dipping and pushing my luck.

Like I said, the national big guys were $450 to $500 when factoring in tax for the same style car and times!

Edit: Also, SERIOUSLY wish they had a SEA location. $59/day (up to like $79 I think) would be fantastic for my random Saturday in Seattle excursions! ZipCar would even be more then that for an A4 or 3 Series and they don't even have a SEA location either :(

pinniped Jun 30, 2015 8:01 am

In a Silvercar right now, $14/day at PHX. (Obviously, it's offseason here. :))

Overall it's awesome...provided you have the time for an extra 5 minute ride beyond the shared rental car facility. I know renting cars at PHX sucks in general and the idea of getting off a bus and into another shuttle (an Audi) might be a turnoff to some, but for this trip I decided to give it a try and I must say...the car kicks .... :)

tmiw Jun 30, 2015 9:35 am

Originally Posted by pinniped (Post 25048180)
In a Silvercar right now, $14/day at PHX. (Obviously, it's offseason here. :))

Overall it's awesome...provided you have the time for an extra 5 minute ride beyond the shared rental car facility. I know renting cars at PHX sucks in general and the idea of getting off a bus and into another shuttle (an Audi) might be a turnoff to some, but for this trip I decided to give it a try and I must say...the car kicks .... :)

Rented a Silvercar from DEN this past weekend and I agree. It's a little weird to be taking a shuttle to an off-airport parking garage but there were no hassles when I picked up or returned the car. Only issue I had was with the Wi-Fi in the car but since I was the only one in the car it wasn't a big deal.

Speaking of the car, Audi's MMI is pretty weird until you figure out how to navigate it. I originally thought it was a touchscreen until I realized there were buttons between the two seats. Some sort of QWERTY keyboard would have been nice to make typing in addresses for navigation quicker. Something for Audi to think about for the next generation. :cool:

takeshi74 Jun 30, 2015 2:54 pm

I personally prefer the wheel in Audis and BMW's. A keyboard isn't practical and touchscreens just get filthy. Did you not opt for the quick orientation?

Originally Posted by acarney (Post 25047249)
I wish they were on site & had a deal like ZipCar where I don't have to deal with a human at all

You don't have to after your first rental as long as your card and DL don't change.

tmiw Jun 30, 2015 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by takeshi74 (Post 25050422)
I personally prefer the wheel in Audis and BMW's. A keyboard isn't practical and touchscreens just get filthy. Did you not opt for the quick orientation?

I probably should have but my normal car is a VW and I thought it would be similar enough. In the end the only thing I actually had to go to the car's manual for was the electronic parking brake, so it worked out. :p

yieldway17 Jun 30, 2015 5:17 pm

So they quote only $59 on a normal weekend in ORD? That's a steal considering I was quoted $39 for a Focus by Hertz.

pinniped Jun 30, 2015 5:29 pm

Don't forget that, like any rental agency, there are coupons all over the place. :) @:-)

An agent jumped in the car with me and gave me a whole walkthrough on the multimedia. I didn't follow it all and didn't ask a lot of questions, but she was helpful and would have taken as long as I wanted to get everything set up. Agree it's a very strange interface, but I can see where an Audi owner would find it more optimal than a touchscreen. Unless I rent from Silvercar all the time (which I probably won't have the chance to do), I won't bother to learn it very well.