Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experiences with Silvercar

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by makelab
Has anyone rented at the SFO location? After reading about the $20 "AirTrain" fee, Silvercar still charges a mandatory transportation fee. I submitted a question to support and they claim it cover all transportation, i.e. use of shuttles, etc. The reply also said that a customer takes the shuttle to the Park N Fly location, no AirTrain. I don't know if they have an agreement with Park N Fly or if it is a shuttle operated by the airport. I'm tempted to say I am local (which would get the fee waived) and use Uber credit to get to the location. Has anyone rented from them, arriving at SFO, and challenged the fee?
I just rented from them and the fee is there on the receipt. I took the train to the rental car area and they picked me up in a Audi A4 and drove me a few minutes away to their facility. There is no Park N Fly shuttle anymore, since it was very inconsistent. You either use the app or give them a call after getting to the rental area, walk out to the island where Silvercar, Sixt, etc pick up, then they come pick you up. They will take you back there after dropping off the car.

I had a good experience with them and will be renting from them again. It's one of those airport fees I don't think you can typically dodge, but maybe you can give them a call and ask them about it?
Old Aug 13, 2015, 3:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Here's an article about the fee. It explains both how the fee is often incorrectly charged as well as how poorly rental agency employees explain it when asked.

As much as I think it's a total joke of a fee, it does indeed line the city's pockets, not Silvercar's. If you use the train to get to the rental facility and then get picked up in a Silvercar Audi, they're collecting the fee correctly.

If you take the Park N Fly shuttle, they should not collect that fee, although they could theoretically charge you to use the Park N Fly shuttle separately. (That would kind of go against their whole "we don't suck" marketing though.)
Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by pinniped
Two other bits I noticed about Silvercar:

- The agent processed my return and I had my emailed receipt without any discussion of the fuel. I didn't refuel myself, so I didn't mind, but if you *did* refuel the car you might point this out to the agent before she closes your rental out.

- Silvercar promises street prices plus $5 for refueling They calculate this from your mileage driven - my bill was for a precise 1.6 gallons of fuel at $2.99/gallon. Unfortunately, I didn't notice my mileage...whatever they use for the divisor didn't matter much in my case. (The U.S. government says 27 for a 2014 A4.) However, the street price for fuel in Phoenix right now is more like $2.55, not $2.99. I noticed several stations in the $2.50's and I was staying literally walking distance from the edge of airport property. In short, if you drive a full tank of gas, you might want to go ahead and fill it up yourself...the cost is going to be a lot more than $5 if you don't.

Interested to know from someone who lets Silvercar bill them for fuel, and who did notice their mileage, what divisor they really use.
FYI, I believe the A4 takes premium fuel, so they're probably filling it up with that.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Beware Silvercar!

I recently had the need of a rental car during a recent visit to Dallas. Having read about Silvercar, I decided to give it a try.

Prior to arrival, I made my reservation via web and picked up the car using my iPhone and app. After performing a walkaround with the Silvercar agent and finding nothing out of the ordinary, I took my "new" 2015 A4 on the road.

So far, the whole experience was as others had experienced it. It was seamless and pleasant. However...

on the day I returned the car, I was told that I would be liable for a small sidewall bubble that appeared on the right front tire. It literally is the size of a pimple and if the cars are "new" (mine had 14000 miles on it), it would be covered under warranty. The agents practically accused me of speeding and abuse, none of them were over 23 and probably have never turned a wrench in their lives (I was a mechanic for 15 years). Four weeks after returning the car, I receive a shakedown letter for $254 (including "valued discount").

Of course, this is why you have insurance, but I still think this is BS. I guess I'm going back to Hertz.

Last edited by abraxis; Oct 21, 2015 at 6:35 pm
Old Oct 21, 2015, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Royiv
I was a Silvercar evangelist up until this afternoon. At this point, I would be very cautious about renting from them ever again.

Over two months after a rental from the DFW location, I received an email from a collection agency saying that there was damage to the vehicle I rented from Silvercar and they were collecting a debt. First, there was no damage to the vehicle upon return. I can only imagine that the damage, if there really was any, occurred after the employee dropped me off at the terminal in the same car I had driven. Second, no one from Silivercar ever called me to discuss this with me and they've had about 75 days to do so. For the first communication to be an aggressive letter from a collection agency seems a little much, especially in light of Silvercar's image as a "cool" company.

I called the DFW location and they looked at the reservation and could find no notes on the reservation noting any damage. They're still researching the issue and promised a call back, but to say I'm a little turned off is an understatement. I've never once in my life received a collection letter and certainly not from a rental car company. I drive rental cars more than I drive my own car and this has never happened before. I love the nice, new A4s, but Hertz has never tried to shake me down 2.5 months after I rented for unsubstantiated damage.

Renters beware.
OP: how did your incident turn out? I got one of those emails today for a sidewall bubble that was "my fault" when I returned the car.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 4:23 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I rented from them in PHX last month.

- Texted from the bus on the way to the Consolidated Rental Facility as the app instructs you to do. I had to wait about 10 minutes for a driver to come pick me up at the bus stop which was a little annoying
- This was my first time renting so the agent at the facility had to check my license and credit card which took about 30 seconds. Then I scanned the QR Code and was good to go
- The agent offered to show me how the car worked but I declined
- Car drove really well and was spotless and in impeccable shape even for a car with 25,000 miles.
- Return process was very easy and the check in agent happily drove me to my terminal.

Overall a really good experience, I look forward to using them again.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 2:21 pm

Any idea if DEN is one of those locations where the car may be on site at the airport?

Last time I rented from them in MIA, the car was in the short-term parking lot at the terminal. Well worth the premium!
Old Dec 11, 2015, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by slice
Any idea if DEN is one of those locations where the car may be on site at the airport?

Last time I rented from them in MIA, the car was in the short-term parking lot at the terminal. Well worth the premium!
When I rented from them at DEN the car was waiting at the off-site parking facility they were running things from.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by slice

I had the rental a few days ago. In case anyone was wondering...

They have a partnership with Canopy Parking. You board Canopy's shuttle outside baggage claim and they'll bring you to Canopy facility (~7 mins) where the Silvercars and Silverstaff are.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10
- Return process was very easy and the check in agent happily drove me to my terminal.
I'll give 'em credit for that at PHX: the ride back to the terminal in the rental car (skipping the rental car shuttle) is great. ^
Old Dec 18, 2015, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I recently had a great experience with my first rental in DEN, but the reports of damage shakedown letters here make me cautious.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Recently had an experience in DEN in November.

Car was perfect even though it was 21,000 miles, it was absolutely flawless. The check in process was alright, the guy didn't really seem bothered to show me anything.

I took it to Aspen the next day and on the way back, what do you know... a low tire pressure warning comes on. I get off to check the tire visually and it looks good. Call them, and they told me to not worry about and just reset the TPS (yeah righttttt).

I slowly drive towards the next gas station and check it, and voila 18psi. Put on the spare, and took the tire the next day to a shop to get fixed. Worth 8 bucks and they said it had a small hole in it, but nothing inside of it.

Told the guy I used the spare on the return, didn't seemed bothered by it, no charges after 2 months.

I used it during the first winterstorm in Denver, to to Estes Park with some heavy snow, man that thing is fun to drive. No matter how much I tried to spin (in WIDE EMPTY ROADS) it wouldn't do it. Quattro definitely is awesome.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:50 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond, AC 50K
Has anyone dealt with Silvercar customer service recently? They've gone completely unresponsive while trying to sort out a referral that wasn't processed. Emails and voicemails not returned. No responses on twitter either.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by turbov6
Has anyone dealt with Silvercar customer service recently? They've gone completely unresponsive while trying to sort out a referral that wasn't processed. Emails and voicemails not returned. No responses on twitter either.
About three weeks ago I had a few emails back and forth with them and found them very responsive.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 2:26 pm

Programs: United 1K MM; Starwood Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Alaska 75K
Anybody know of where I can get a $75 first time rental code? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.