Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experiences with Silvercar

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by anrkitec
Sure, but the MCO SilverCar guy specifically said, "We don't yet have our SunPass transponders. We will be getting them soon. Until then..."
He could also be mistaken; and its possible they haven't completed paperwork or other activities to support platepass.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Any thread or wiki posted for best current silver car discount codes?
Old Oct 30, 2017, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Any thread or wiki posted for best current silver car discount codes?
Besides the referral for first time renters, Silvercar has a blog, Facebook, and Instagram that I follow. They release discount codes on those platforms and also send emails from time to time.

http://blog.silvercar.com/
https://www.facebook.com/silvercarinc/
https://www.instagram.com/silvercar/
CMK10 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Does anyone who has rented at ORD recently happen to know what portion of the fleet are 2017s?

I’m looking to rent there in a few weeks and the difference between a 2016 with 50k+ miles on it and a brand new 2017 is getting to be quite big from a wear and tear perspective...
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by blahmeh14
Does anyone who has rented at ORD recently happen to know what portion of the fleet are 2017s?
I believe they should all by 2017s at this point. I just got off of a rental in Austin and the people there are saying they are expecting 2018s to be in soon.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Also, a couple news I heard from the concierge guys when I was renting
1. Silvercar is expecting to have Audi Q5s at select locations starting in 2018
2. The next two locations to open are Salt Lake City and Tampa

Hope the news might be helpful to some
Finance_underling likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: Globalist, Marriott Plat, various sundry
I just finished up a rental at Silvercar in Seattle. This is my first rental with them (I usually go with National and have Exec with them), but the National (and Hertz) rates were outrageous for Thanksgiving weekend - and with the Sapphire Reserve, it was cheaper to go with Silvercar.

Getting to Silvercar: 3 out of 5 - I still have absolutely no idea how to get to the lot using the rental shuttle. There are no signs for Silvercar at SEA, and the rental car shuttle (to my knowledge) doesn't actually have access to Silvercar. I will give credit for the good communication between the Silvercar office and me, though - they helped me find a workaround, which was important because it was late in the evening and because it was raining. (I ended up flagging down the Jiffy Parking shuttle at the suggestion of the person on the phone.) Once my wife and I got on the shuttle, it was pretty smooth and the agent was really good about explaining the features (this was good for me, since I never had an A4, but not good for the wife, because it meant it took longer before leaving! YMMV.)

The car: 5 out of 5 - It's the best rental I've had. 2017 A4, 7000-ish miles. The car was fairly intuitive, and it was easy to figure out how to use the Nav and the satellite radio (important because my family likes Holiday music, and I don't...) Torque was plentiful, and I averaged about 31 mpg (mmostly highwa

Return: 4 out of 5 - It was a pretty intuitive return, and there were no billing problems. There are several gas stations nearby (but not across from) the Silvercar station, and it may be worth it to fill up there as the gas prices (I believe) are higher. We had to take the shuttle again, and it took about 15 minutes, so that was less than ideal.

Overall: 4 out of 5. Bonus points for the car and for the service, but because of the off-site nature of the location (and the confusion about getting there) it took longer for me to get in and out than I might have with National. I have heard that they used to pick passengers up in the A4. If that was the case, I'd be pretty sold on it, because that would address the only weakness I found with the rental! I'd definitely consider renting again, but the prices would have to be in the same ballpark.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
First experience

Getting to and from Silver car: 1 star, absolutely a disaster at LAX using the Airport center express. One shuttle every 30 minutes and stops at EVERY departing terminal.
I ended up taking Lyft back to LAX as United is T7 (7th stop)

The car: 5 star, got a 2017 with 256 miles, can't complain.

Return and pick up 5 stars.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 5:41 pm

Programs: Korean Air Morning Calm, Hertz President's Circle, Avis Preferred Plus and IHG Spire Ambassador
DFW/DAL Report: For DFW arrivals (location closed)

I was adamant on renting Silvercar in TX because I needed a nice car for a one-way to Austin ($300 fee) for a good price. Other auto rental agencies had full-size cars for a comparable price; so, I was willing to get to the DAL location by myself. Unfortunately, there is no direct connection between the two airports. The trip requires an airport shuttle followed by a local DART bus (duration ~1hr).

First-time renters, PM me for referral code!

Last edited by Finance_underling; Dec 31, 2017 at 1:58 pm
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:34 pm

Great experience (first time rental).

NYC - Brooklyn: Got dropped off at the hotel for pickup - very easy to see where the garage Silvercar is in thanks to the sign. The attendant walked us through how to pick up our car with the app. We got a 2017 with over 9k miles, but it was very clean and gave us no issues. The controls were a bit fiddly and we had problems with the wifi hotspot. We eventually figured out someone changed the default password, using a capital I instead of a lowercase L in the password! We did a late dropoff as we were driving down from NH (location closed at 6pm), but it was no hassle. The garage was 24/7 and the attendant noted down the time we dropped off. We also did a quick call to Silvercar telling them the time we dropped off, and I got my receipt the next morning.

Las Vegas - It was slightly confusing to ride the car rental bus, but pickup otherwise went well. We were picked up in the Silvercar we were to be given (2017, ~2k miles) but the attendant drove us back to the main Silvercar location to give us a rundown of the car and to show us where the dropoff location was. On the way, she asked us where we were going (staying in Vegas or going out of town) and we mentioned that we were going to tour the nearby parks. She offered to give us a 2018 instead and mentioned that the inside was clean but the exterior just needed a bit of a wash. She also mentioned that the new Q5s were likely due in the next week or two.

We happily took the 2018 (don't recall the mileage) which also had the S-line package, giving it a bit of a sleeker look. For those who want to easily differentiate between the 2017 and 2018, the 2018 has an all digital dash, so you won't find an explicit tach on the dash peering in.

We were able to extend our reservation by a few hours seamlessly after an airline cancellation. Plenty of gas stations nearby to top off. Drop off took a little longer than expected, as the sole attendant was out refueling another drop off and there was no sign. A quick text to the concierge number quickly brought him back. No problems with the state of the car when we brought it back either - it was a bit muddy/dusty/salty at Death Valley.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:24 am

Doesn't Silvercar not want you to top off? They'd rather refuel it themselves, to ensure the car gets premium gas, and charge pump prices plus a $5 service fee?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Doesn't Silvercar not want you to top off? They'd rather refuel it themselves, to ensure the car gets premium gas, and charge pump prices plus a $5 service fee?
Yup. They'd prefer that you let them fill it up, mainly for the premium gas issue, but they also make a little money on the service fee (how much, if any, depends on the particular location, and hence how much staff time is required to fill the car).
Old Jan 28, 2018, 11:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Something notable - according to the guy at the DAL location, the 2018s are S-Lines (look for the badge on the front quarter of the car). Non-S-Lines are 2017 or earlier. Not sure if that applies to other locations, but it's something that was at least notable.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: Hertz- President Circle, Avis - Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by steve33
Something notable - according to the guy at the DAL location, the 2018s are S-Lines (look for the badge on the front quarter of the car). Non-S-Lines are 2017 or earlier. Not sure if that applies to other locations, but it's something that was at least notable.
Ok so now I’m confused. Recently had a 2018 model out of SFO. It had the analogue dash with navigation screen in between and definitely did not have any S-line badges. It was a 2018 model as the registration card confirmed/indicated.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 6:23 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Looks like as of February 26th there will be a Silvercar at TPA at 5124 W Cypress St. which is really close to the airport. Glad to see another airport getting it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.