Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experiences with Silvercar

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:38 pm

Programs: Korean Air Morning Calm, Hertz President's Circle, Avis Preferred Plus and IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
True but engines nowadays are made knowing what type of gas was injected and will adjust to accommodate 87 vs 93. Unfortunately the car is much slower than my daily driver so to me, it makes no diff.

A few times I did SilverCar i chose to let them fill it up at there premium prices. The real question is whether silvercar actually puts 93 after we paid them for 93.
I'm not sure what engines you are referring to, but Audi's go through regular much quicker than premium. In regards to performance, I tend to drive mostly on freeways, so I perceive the difference when pushing the car to a higher speed.

Silvercar definitely fills up with 91 or 93. I think I had a car with regular once (may have been from Hertz not Silvercar) and I attribute that to a renter refueling.

Last edited by Finance_underling; Feb 27, 2018 at 9:51 pm
Old Feb 28, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Finance_underling
I'm not sure what engines you are referring to, but Audi's go through regular much quicker than premium.
Please define "much." Everything I've seen on this topic indicates that, if there is any MPG loss at all, it's very minor, and doesn't come close to covering the additional cost of using premium.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 7:50 am

Nice, sounds like you read the manual. But as I already stated, lux cars like Audi's are more efficient with premium gas. In regards to performance, the difference is subtle, but noticeable.
I'm a bit of a motor head, have owned and driven more cars by the time I was 25 then most people drive in their entire life. In car circles, what you are describing is what we would call the "butt dyno" confirmation, it feels faster that must mean it is and related to exactly what I modified. Honestly, cold air has more impact to a turbo car's performance than using 87 versus 91/93 when the car is designed to run on 87.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: Korean Air Morning Calm, Hertz President's Circle, Avis Preferred Plus and IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Please define "much." Everything I've seen on this topic indicates that, if there is any MPG loss at all, it's very minor, and doesn't come close to covering the additional cost of using premium.
I can't breakdown the numbers because it's been awhile since I had regular in one of these cars. But paying for super also covers the inconvenience of a quicker return trip to the gas station (another cost which you should factor in). Believe what you read; however, I don't think car manufacturers and energy companies are colluding together in differentiating fuel options.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by JLewisinSyr
I'm a bit of a motor head, have owned and driven more cars by the time I was 25 then most people drive in their entire life. In car circles, what you are describing is what we would call the "butt dyno" confirmation, it feels faster that must mean it is and related to exactly what I modified. Honestly, cold air has more impact to a turbo car's performance than using 87 versus 91/93 when the car is designed to run on 87.
I can tell you're a motor enthusiast since you know terms like butt dyno confirmation. I'll try to keep in mind what you said when I drive in colder climates.

It sounds like you've driven a lot of nice vehicles, so does the extra $3-5 for premium matter to you? Also, Silvercar runs a very good business with one of the best customer services. That's a good reason to accommodate their self-refueling request.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:13 am

I can tell you're a motor enthusiast since you know terms like butt dyno confirmation. I'll try to keep in mind what you said when I drive in colder climates.

It sounds like you've driven a lot of nice vehicles, so does the extra $3-5 for premium matter to you? Also, Silvercar runs a very good business with one of the best customer services. That's a good reason to accommodate their self-refueling request.
I fuel a vehicle with what it requires; when I've owned cars that require premium, that's what I would put in, when I've owned cars that require 87, that's what I put in. Whether a car is luxury or not doesn't necessarily dictate if the vehicle requires 91 or higher to operate as there are some non-premium/luxury cars that require premium fuel (i.e. Mini Cooper or pre-2016 Chevy Volt). In my Cadillac CTS I only used 87 octane because that is what it required, in my G37 I only used premium because that's what it required. Even the newest Corvette, unless equipped with the Z06 doesn't require premium and it will run and operate perfectly fine on 87.

Does $3 - $5 matter, no, not really but why spend money on something that gives no relative benefit in relation to fuel economy or performance.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 5:08 pm

I fuel a vehicle with what it requires; when I've owned cars that require premium, that's what I would put in, when I've owned cars that require 87, that's what I put in. Whether a car is luxury or not doesn't necessarily dictate if the vehicle requires 91 or higher to operate as there are some non-premium/luxury cars that require premium fuel (i.e. Mini Cooper or pre-2016 Chevy Volt). In my Cadillac CTS I only used 87 octane because that is what it required, in my G37 I only used premium because that's what it required. Even the newest Corvette, unless equipped with the Z06 doesn't require premium and it will run and operate perfectly fine on 87.

Does $3 - $5 matter, no, not really but why spend money on something that gives no relative benefit in relation to fuel economy or performance.
If the few bucks doesn't matter, then just super-fill the Silvercar like they ask.

I've already laid out why cars like Audi's need premium. If you want to put regular in your car, go right ahead. Dyno Butt confirmation, right?
Old Mar 1, 2018, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
This is a great term I've not heard before. But will certainly start using when appropriate.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 7:14 pm

If the few bucks doesn't matter, then just super-fill the Silvercar like they ask.

I've already laid out why cars like Audi's need premium. If you want to put regular in your car, go right ahead. Dyno Butt confirmation, right?
Actually, you haven't, nothing but perception than fact. Again, if you want proof of something, read up on Turbo performance between warm weather and cold weather. That is verifiable and all turbo's will experience at some degree a variation when operated in cold versus warm air.

If there is any doubt, and Audi 2.0T does NOT require premium, and if any performance difference or MPG loss from using regular occurs, it would be negligible at best.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:20 pm

Actually, you haven't, nothing but perception than fact. Again, if you want proof of something, read up on Turbo performance between warm weather and cold weather. That is verifiable and all turbo's will experience at some degree a variation when operated in cold versus warm air.

If there is any doubt, and Audi 2.0T does NOT require premium, and if any performance difference or MPG loss from using regular occurs, it would be negligible at best.
Again, you can read and believe what you want. And I can tell you do a lot of reading about cars, but you haven't read my posts. I never disputed auto performance variation in different climates. I don't want to go in circles especially since the argument is really about whether to return the Silvercar with premium. And that is a requirement. No Dyno Butt about it
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:07 am

And that is a requirement.
Per Silvercar's Rental Agreement, there is no requirement to refuel with premium. They ask you to on their website, but no where in the rental contract is that a requirement. Some rental companies, especially those that deal in high-end cars specify in their contracts premium fuel requirements and penalties for not adhering to the requirements. The following is direct from Silvercar's rental contract; as there is no rental agreement requirement, there is no consumer requirement to refill with premium:

Originally Posted by Silvercar
  1. Fuel Service Charge. All vehicles are rented with a full tank of fuel and Silvercar requests that you return the vehicle with a full tank of fuel. However, if you return the vehicle with less fuel than when you received it, Silvercar will charge you a fuel service charge at the applicable rate specified in the RA. To calculate this charge, Silvercar will calculate the number of gallons of fuel needed to refill the vehicle’s fuel tank (based on the vehicle’s gas gauge and the capacity of the vehicle’s fuel tank), and then multiply by the prevailing per gallon pump price of premium fuel in the area plus a $5.00 service fee.
cestmoi123 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:07 pm

Per Silvercar's Rental Agreement, there is no requirement to refuel with premium. They ask you to on their website, but no where in the rental contract is that a requirement. Some rental companies, especially those that deal in high-end cars specify in their contracts premium fuel requirements and penalties for not adhering to the requirements. The following is direct from Silvercar's rental contract; as there is no rental agreement requirement, there is no consumer requirement to refill with premium:

Here's a motor term for you, ROAD RAGE!
Old Mar 22, 2018, 5:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Got an email from Silvercar saying Austin, Dallas and Chicago now have Q5s.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 10:37 am

Booked Q5 at DAL location on first weekend of April for Austin roadtrip (Dallas resident) - my first rental with SilverCar. Used VINFINITE promo code for rental (30% discount). Let me know if anyone needs referral.

Will post experience after trip.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 5:01 pm

Rented for the first time with Silvercar this past weekend in Dallas, renting the Q5.

The app didn’t have any button to alert them I arrived so I had to text them. It took roughly 10 minutes for them to arrive at the rental car pickup area. Once back at the facility, the driver confirmed the license and credit card, explained the car tech briefly, and we were on our way. The Q5 was loaded with everything (but no moonroof, which I don’t care about but was a bit bewildered as they are seemingly stabdard now). It had 1,086 miles on it.

About 10 minutes on the road a low tire pressure warning light came on. I called Silvercar support abc they were clueless and useless and couldn’t tell me where in the MMI to find the warning. I called the Dallas location and was asked to stop at a Discount Tire to check it out. Er, no thanks. Went to my family and aired it back to 36 pounds (it was 30). No further warnings appeared.

The Q5 is a great vehicle age we got fantastic mileage. CarPlay is great, having Sirius makes me happy, as did the seat warmers and smooth ride. It’s a perfect rental, really.

Return was super fast. We pulled up, they scanned the code, and immediately drove us to the airport. No schlepping luggage to different cars/buses, no waiting, etc.

I paid for four days about $140 LESS than our standard executive National rate thanks to my CSR.

​​​​​​​I”m sold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.