Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2020, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: realgaga
'Extending Our Commitment' policy has ended as of Oct 1st 2022.
Please see 'Schedule Change' policy below.

Web Version PDF Version

Important: Read the disclaimers and changes below before reading the policy.

Disclaimers:
  • The version of the policy at the time of change applies.*
  • This document was made for viewing by travel agents, not passengers.
  • You must call in to make the changes to your ticket since fees are waived manually.
  • This policy is in addition to the fare rules of your ticket.
  • Conditions of Carriage still apply.
  • It is expected that there will be more changes to the policy in the future and Qatar Airways can amend the policy without prior notice.
*You are welcome to pursue legal action with QR and prove this wrong. We are merely warning you what will happen when you call in and perform a change.
ALL TIMES/DATES IN DOHA TIME (GMT+3)

Wiki maintained by realgaga
Print Wikipost

Covid-19: Book with Confidence QR Policy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2020, 12:33 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Bump: any Americans with upcoming travel that won’t be operating?
Old Jul 21, 2020, 10:53 am

Programs: Avis First, Hertz PC, National EE,Enterprise Pt, Sixt Plantinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by scstrider86
Thought I'd share my experience booking with IAP and then using the Travel with Confidence Policy. SPOILER: It was successful, and it was a royal pain, and your mileage certainly will vary. This post will be a bit long, sorry, but hopefully it helps anyone looking at using IAP!

I was sharing on here a couple of weeks ago when I first started my attempt at making changes, and talked about how two different AMEX agents had no idea about the policy and were quite reluctant to make things happen. A lot happened since then!
Here's my full timeline:
Day 1: Bought JFK-TBS-JFK at $140 less than QR's
Day 15: After the 14 day wait, called to change to LAX-MLE-LAX, spent 6 hours on the phone with 4 different agents who called Amex supervisors or QR agents
  • One QR agent said that only the destination can be changed (wrong), quoting me $4400 in fare difference per ticket
  • One QR agent said that the origin can only be changed within 1500mi so I can only change it to DFW/ORD-MLE (wrong)
  • Two Amex supervisors said this policy is not on Amex's instruction list, so even if QR gave the Amex agent the waiver code, they were not authorized to use it
  • Final agent succeeded at getting the code and everything but needed QR to ticket it and QR's hours are now apparently 9-6 M-F and it was already Friday night so I was told to call on Monday
Day 18: Called to put the change through, No success, and the R availability was gone
Day 21: Called again with new R availability dates, 1 agent, 1 try, she called Qatar, got the waiver code, put it through, success!
  • Called QR a few hours later to select seats and they said "the reservation has been changed but the ticket hasn't"
  • Called Amex to make sure the ticketing had gone through. "Yup, everything looks good on this end"
Day 22: at midnight JFK time, we got a cancellation notice for our itinerary. Called Amex, found out that Amex ticketing had failed to complete the ticketing in time (over a day and a half) so QR cancelled the ticket. Amex agent tried to reinstate but the R availability was now gone again, and it was Friday night so she couldn't get through to QR so she said wait til Monday (devastating and frustrating, especially since we booked hotel)
Day 25: Spent over 4 hours on the phone with 2 different Amex agents who told me there was nothing they could do and whose supervisors told them that even if Qatar gave them waivers, they would not be allowed to use it because it wasn't Amex sanctioned. They attempted to change to DFW-MLE dates that had R availability and quoted me a fare difference of over $3K/ticket because the origin was different. I hung up and screamed so loud I nearly blew out my vocal cords
Day 26: Found LAX dates with R availability, called, got an agent who listened to my whole situation, called QR, made a 3-way call, I gave the very helpful QR agent my info, and just like that, it was ticketed. Fully ticketed by Qatar, with Qatar Airways ticket confirmation email and everything, and in fact QR took control so it is no longer with Amex at all. This final interaction was a dream and felt like exactly what I was hoping for from the beginning. This was over a week ago and we're still good to go!

tl;dr- Booked JFK-DOH-MLE through AMEX IAP, and after about 11 hours on the phone with Amex over the course of over a week, successfully rebooked to LAX-DOH-MLE. I would say it was 100% NOT worth the money I saved by booking through IAP. But that was just my experience. Again, YMMV.
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I found out even a lot of QR agents don't know what the policy really is and how to get it working. Congrat!
Old Jul 21, 2020, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by winben
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I found out even a lot of QR agents don't know what the policy really is and how to get it working. Congrat!
I have to say my experience with using Amex to book travel has been so frustrating that I will never, ever use them again. See reference "Originally Posted by scstrider86" for perfect examples.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Bump: any Americans with upcoming travel that won’t be operating?
Return half of SOF LAX SOF. QR emailed to cancel when the dropped SOF service; I took no action; QR emailed reinstatement of the booking when it became operational (though as American I wasn't yet allowed into Bulgaria); QR emailed a week ago to again cancel "due to operational reasons".

Again I'm doing nothing, pretending QR doesn't have any asterisks attached to their current promise that my ticket will be valid for two years from issue date. I worry that a missing asterisk would lead to an admission that they really don't mean that in my case, because their earlier coronavirus generosities still maintained the normal rule that the trip duration itself could not exceed the one year. (Any link to an empowered Oracle at Qatar that would authoritatively address that question?)
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 1:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by scstrider86
tl;dr- Booked JFK-DOH-MLE through AMEX IAP, and after about 11 hours on the phone with Amex over the course of over a week, successfully rebooked to LAX-DOH-MLE. I would say it was 100% NOT worth the money I saved by booking through IAP. But that was just my experience. Again, YMMV.
dude. I was in this same position - booked via IAP and tried to change my flight that same day via Amex. Immediately realized it would be an uphill battle having to navigate BOTH Amex and QR call center reps. I canceled my IAP booking, rebooked directly via QR's website for $150 more but was able to easily change my flight.
11 hours is ughhhh a pain worth $150 to avoid.
Thanks for sharing your story - probably took you a half hour to write it so 11.5 hrs total LOL
Old Jul 21, 2020, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Maybe you guys have to suffer the US customer service, but the Amex Travel agents in the UK have been spot on with this policy for me!
Old Jul 21, 2020, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Schwann
Maybe you guys have to suffer the US customer service, but the Amex Travel agents in the UK have been spot on with this policy for me!
It all depends on who you speak to. Some AmEx US people are competent, but most are pretty bad for anything beyond the most basic of things (which you can - and should - do online anyway).

It also depends on how you actually booked to begin with. If you have a platinum card and called up the platinum desk to make the reservation you tend to get much more competent people vs. booking online and then calling up and having to speak to the "general" travel department.

I made a change to an IAP booking (booked online) and ended up having to speak to three agents before I found someone competent who was willing to spend the time with me to read through the QR policy posted on their trade site. That agent was able to make the changes in about half an hour.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 8:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
No offense but for something so convoluted, unheard of, and new as this policy, is it really wise to be booking with a travel agency?

i could’ve booked with Orbitz and gotten points but wasn’t gonna take that chance so booked directly with QR.
JohnAx and SFOTraveler1984 like this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 12:58 am

Programs: Aer Lingus, United, Virgin Atlantic, Qatar
Mrs DJ and junior on way home 5 months after they left.

Initial reports I am being told is that both flights have had light loads. Most of the shops in Doha are closed.

The face shields are a pain but functional. Cabin Crew are PPE'd to within an inch of their lives but still attentive.
NWplatinum and Johnnieboy like this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 6:56 am

Programs: QR Plat
No offense but for something so convoluted, unheard of, and new as this policy, is it really wise to be booking with a travel agency?

i could’ve booked with Orbitz and gotten points but wasn’t gonna take that chance so booked directly with QR.
Same, glad I booked direct and QR now has the same pricing on their website as most travel agents. It used to be a lot worse
Old Jul 22, 2020, 8:20 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold

It’s not as if dealing directly with QR (who came up with the convoluted policy which seems to still be somewhat unheard of within QR) is smooth sailing either
JohnAx likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MARRIOTT TI, HILTON GLD
Originally Posted by absoluy
It’s not as if dealing directly with QR (who came up with the convoluted policy which seems to still be somewhat unheard of within QR) is smooth sailing either
HAHA! You're absolutely right. I indirectly found out how inconsistent it is at QR too. I had multiple QR agents have to pull up the policy and read it as if they'd never heard of it. However, I will say that I prefer losing the middle man (Amex) who ALSO can vary wildly. So booking/rebooking directly with QR at least only means one layer of agents who may or may not help!
JohnAx likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 5:24 am

I called Qatar today and the agent told me that in order to find the distance from A to B you have to include flights from A to Doha and then from Doha to B. Is this true? It is not written anywhere in T&C.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by abielewi
I called Qatar today and the agent told me that in order to find the distance from A to B you have to include flights from A to Doha and then from Doha to B. Is this true? It is not written anywhere in T&C.
Sounds like nonsense. But it would work in your favour: you could switch Bangkok as your destination, to Los Angeles.

the difference between (Doha to A) and (Doha to B) is always going to be less than between A to B.

(unless Doha-A-B is a straight line, in which case both measures are of course equal)
Old Jul 23, 2020, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Sounds like nonsense. But it would work in your favour: you could switch Bangkok as your destination, to Los Angeles.

the difference between (Doha to A) and (Doha to B) is always going to be less than between A to B.

(unless Doha-A-B is a straight line, in which case both measures are of course equal)
Called again later. This time the call centre in Qatar directly. The agent was more helpful and explained everything in details. He told me that he agrees with me, but their internal policy is that when their system which calculates distances from A to B returns ??? then they have to sum the distances A to Doha and Doha to B. In my case I wanted to change from Delhi to Denpasar and this returns ???. So it all depends whether the specific city pairs have their distance loaded in Qatar system which is really stupid, because you can easily change from SIN to SYD, but not from DEL to DPS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.