Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2020, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: realgaga
'Extending Our Commitment' policy has ended as of Oct 1st 2022.
Please see 'Schedule Change' policy below.

Web Version PDF Version

Important: Read the disclaimers and changes below before reading the policy.

Disclaimers:
  • The version of the policy at the time of change applies.*
  • This document was made for viewing by travel agents, not passengers.
  • You must call in to make the changes to your ticket since fees are waived manually.
  • This policy is in addition to the fare rules of your ticket.
  • Conditions of Carriage still apply.
  • It is expected that there will be more changes to the policy in the future and Qatar Airways can amend the policy without prior notice.
*You are welcome to pursue legal action with QR and prove this wrong. We are merely warning you what will happen when you call in and perform a change.
ALL TIMES/DATES IN DOHA TIME (GMT+3)

Wiki maintained by realgaga
Print Wikipost

Covid-19: Book with Confidence QR Policy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2020, 2:58 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by absoluy

I assumed you were one of people gaming the promo and got a cheap fare which is why I was confused about your frustration on changing the BKK-USM segment. Try not to think about the "what could have been" - there's always a cheaper/better deal to be had but you have to pull the trigger/draw the line at some point!
Something fun I learned that Ko Sumai has an airport.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 7:56 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
I will follow up because I asked them what will happen if the flight is canceled since the DOT (for those of us in the USA) has made it clear a refund is due in case of cancellation.
If you file a DOT complaint they will just dig out the documentation that you booked a PHL-KBP flight for 1600$ and got it changed to BKK. This change waives your rights.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 8:10 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
If you file a DOT complaint they will just dig out the documentation that you booked a PHL-KBP flight for 1600$ and got it changed to BKK. This change waives your rights.
Waives your rights in the event of a cancellation?
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 9:14 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Yep. The moment you accept that QR issues you a travel voucher or agree to make significant changes to your reservation (for free) QR gets the DOT, EU261 and CC chargeback pardon: they document that you agreed for an alternative solution.Some of us pointed that out when everyone was jumping for joy over the PHL-KBP tickets... but no one listned....
YYCCL3 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 9:25 am
Suspended

Yep. The moment you accept that QR issues you a travel voucher or agree to make significant changes to your reservation (for free) QR gets the DOT, EU261 and CC chargeback pardon: they document that you agreed for an alternative solution.Some of us pointed that out when everyone was jumping for joy over the PHL-KBP tickets... but no one listned....
I didn't think that they'd have a "double jeopardy" situation. If the ticket is reissued and they cancel the reissued segments then it seems odd that the same protections wouldn't apply to the rebooked route. The voluntary change was made based on the original routing. If they cancel the original segment (e.g. DOH-KBP) and you've already changed it (e.g. to DOH-MLE) then yeah, sure, don't expect a refund. But if they cancel DOH-MLE then I would expect the same regulations to apply since your ticket is to MLE.

All speculation on my part, but I would be surprised if the rules somehow referenced a previous ticket/transaction.
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 10:09 am

QR isnt't stupid. The came up with the 5000 mile idea to get cash flow in very uncertain times and to limit their liabilities. If they narrate the story on how you changed a KBP/BKK ticket to MLE/SYD and then filed a DOT complaint, the DOT is not going to lift a finger. Some screenshots of FT and blog posts during the feeding frenzy and case closed.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 10:21 am
Suspended

QR isnt't stupid. The came up with the 5000 mile idea to get cash flow in very uncertain times and to limit their liabilities. If they narrate the story on how you changed a KBP/BKK ticket to MLE/SYD and then filed a DOT complaint, the DOT is not going to lift a finger. Some screenshots of FT and blog posts during the feeding frenzy and case closed.
Yes, definitely not suggesting they are stupid. I would expect that they have also considered that the funding they receive from these tickets will be dependent on the routes actually flying - if they cancel, they’ll certainly try to encourage you to take a voucher. But I don’t think they’ll get away with refusing to provide refunds on cancelled itineraries.

Let’s see how it pans out.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 10:33 am

I spoke with Qatar today, and they said a new policy will be coming out to cover travel in 2021 to replace the policy they have now with covid19, he could not tell when it will be released though.
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 10:57 am

I'm confused to what people are expecting, Qatar basically told me involuntary changes are addressed on a month by month basis. Meaning that just because there's a travel ban in July, doesn't mean you can change your ticket as involuntary change until the month of the flight to prove that the said travel ban or what not is still in effect. Seems pretty fair in my eyes. Luckily for me, my flight was August 2020 and I was told to call back August 1 but I didn't want to wait to book a hotel room until we confirmed plane tickets. Thus I made the change voluntary for no fee differences. Just lost a segment of my flight. (Understood and accepted)

But the people talking about a refund are confusing me, if you didn't want to go on the trip ever than why even book the ticket? You have until Dec 31 to make voluntary changes. Should you not be able to go in that window you can change it to a window you can go in 2021 but after 2021 as of now you are unable to make more changes to the dates. This policy is Covid19 policy and subject to change but honestly, I don't understand the struggle most people can plan a vacation for a year out. So can someone help what you mean by DOT requests here, did you purchase the ticket with no intention to ever go? Or you saying if the flight is cancelled can they keep your money after a flight change? So far Qatar proven to be nothing but gracious in this policy and I am sure that they will find a flight that will work for you. So I guess clarity do you just need the money back now? Or what the concern here?
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 11:17 am

Hey guys, I am a newbie here, highly interested in this matter.
I booked a "W" Economy class ticket Vienna - Vietnam - Vienna (through Doha ofc).
I wanted to change it to Vienna - Male - Vienna, in the same booking class, for the same month - november, within a 5,000 mile radius.
I called to the call center in Czechia and got told it is impossible to do it fee-less (as per the official policy, which I am following in every bit).
The woman did not explain me why, though.
Any explanations? Who should I call to get to my rights really? Were any of you sucessfull in voluntary destination changes lately?

Thank you and have a great day!
Mimi
Old Jul 9, 2020, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by 2Mimi2
I booked a "W" Economy class ticket Vienna - Vietnam - Vienna (through Doha ofc).
Some of the very cheapest special offer fare classes available on the website are not always available to book offline through the call centres or ticket offices. Voluntary free reroutes have to be in the same RBD and it may be that the agent you spoke to could not access W fares, and was therefore having to price up the change in a higher fare bucket. Frustrating I know, it's happened to me before.

You could call back, or ring Doha via Skype or similar to check. Who knows, you may or may not strike lucky with a different agent. Alternatively, if you can hang on until much nearer departure you may be forced into an involuntary change (eg. by cancellation) where the same RBD is not an issue.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by josephbanjo7
But the people talking about a refund are confusing me, if you didn't want to go on the trip ever than why even book the ticket?
Your profile shows you're new to flyertalk so you can be forgiven for not knowing, but for many on here gaming the system or getting one up on an airline or just benefiting from what was originally though to be a mistake is more important than where/when they go.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Something fun I learned that Ko Sumai has an airport.
It's Koh Samui and is one of the prettiest airports you'll find.
NWplatinum, kq747, BobFF68 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 6:07 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
So SYD is off the cards for a while it looks by recent news reports. I am still quite keen to fly this year, even for a 1 day trip or B2B, doesn't look like i will be travelling on work duties for a very long time.

I am hoping we will see an extension of the rules.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 3:03 pm

I thought the rules were that you could change dates / destinations 14+ days after booking, but yesterday I was able to change my dates 8 days after purchase with no fee. I have zero status and did it over the phone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.