Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways - UAE, KSA, Bahrain and Egypt withdraw licenses and close airspace

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 5, 2017, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: plunet
Wiki last updated: 21 July 2017 18:00 UTC

Summary of key traveller experiences and feedback on this forum since Mid-June
  • Policy statement (link) for the travel industry issued 15th June 2017
  • Refund is always an option, but very varied experiences of how quickly the refund is processed, from a few days to "still waiting". Some experiences of passengers being pressurised into taking refunds when this is not necessary if you can wait.
  • If you want to reroute from a closed destination to another middle east destination still served by QR, you might be able to do this as early as 30 days from 1st sector, although we have had reports of rerouting at 6 weeks out.
  • Where QR have to reroute onto other carriers, long haul reroutes typically onto BA, CX and TK seem to be quoted most often. In the Gulf region ME, KU, WY are quoted most often. Although RJ is a OneWorld carrier and should be a parter for QR, they are not accepting QR rerouted tickets.
  • Status of reservations for travel to affected destinations typically changes to "Unconfirmed" 7 days ahead of travel.
  • If your booking was via a 3rd party or agent you probably can't get Qatar to change the ticket until 72 hours before the first sector. 3rd parties and agents seem to be offering refunds rather than rerouting, although there has been some success if you can show them the QR rebooking policy document.
  • There has been a very mixed bag of reports of how QR are handling rebooking. Some people have no luck getting itineraries changed before 72 hours before departure, but others do. So some good advice is to always be polite but if you don't get what you want, then thank the agent for their time and HUACA (hang up and call again) - preferably after you have had a drink and have calmed down, and maybe calling a different office.

Some specific data points from other travellers:
(but there is a lot more valuable information if you can trawl back through the thread)

#753 CAI-LHR-DOH been offered as alternative for ex-CAI 4 days prior to 1st sector.
#772 KUL-DOH-LXR reroute to CAI and IST refused
#792 AUH-DOH-DPS by QR rebooked to DXB-HKG-DPS by CX
#794 Australia-DOH-HBE rebooked as DOH-BEY on QR on 2nd attempt.
#808 CAI>DOH>BOS>DOH>CAI rebooked to KRT and date change
#818 SYD-DOH-CAI changed to SYD-DOH-KWI-CAI, layovers optimed and +Qatar stopover
#830 and #840 Economy ICN-DOH-DXB rebooked onto CX ICN-HKG-DXB
#849 ex-CAI ininaries changed to ex-AMM but needed to HUACA a few times.
#856 CAI-DOH-BKK changed to FCO-DOH-BKK all on QR
#868 DFW-DOH-HBE changed to DFW-DOH-LCA all on QR 2 weeks out.
#906 Unable to get LXR-DOH-HKG-BNE rerouted until 72 hours prior
#927 CAI-DOH-BKK rebooked onto CAI-BAH-AMM on Gulf DOH-BKK (on QR) and return back to AMM
#966 DXB-DOH (award ticket) was changed to DXB-KWI-DOH on Kuwait+QR 48hrs in advance
#966 DOH-CAI (2 award tickets) were changed to DOH-BEY on QR 48 hours advance
#966 CAI-DOH-MUC (paid business) were changed to BEY-DOH-MUC 72 hours advance
#981 HKT-DOH-DWC (J/F tix) change to HKT-DOH-KWI all on QR 10 days out.
#985 ex-LXR ticket rerouted by OTA as CAI-BEY-DOH outside the 72 hr window
#1004 BKK-DOH-CAI in F rebooked as BKK-DOH-BEY in QR F, BEY-CAI in C on ME
#1005 HEL-DOH-DXB rebooked HEL-DOH-MCT on QR and MCT-DXB on Oman once ticket status went to unconfirmed.
#1057 MAN-DOH-DXB rebooked as MAN-LHR-DXB on BA (had to HUACA 3 times)
#1141 Multiple ex-CAI itineraries CAI-DOK-BKK return in J, CAI-DOH-LHR return in J, CAI-DOH-BKK single in F changed to all be ex-KWI. Had to HUACA 3 times.
#1157 LXR-DOH-NRT booked in January, flight changed to CAI-DOH-NRT
#1172 Rebooked CAI-(F)-DOH(J)-BKK to CAI-(C/ME)-BEY-(F)-DOH-(C)-BKK at 77hrs from departure
#1173 Rebooked at QR office HBE-DOH-DPS to HBE-IST-DOH-DPS on TK/TK/QR and improved timing on DOS-DPS segment

Offical guidance from QR website as of mid July:

Passengers who have purchased their tickets from Qatar Airways have the following options to refund their tickets:

For tickets booked on qatarairways.com, they can:
  1. Go to Refund requests;
  2. They can approach their nearest Qatar Airways Office; or
  3. They can call the Qatar Airways contact Centre at +974 4022 0072
For tickets booked through a Qatar Airways Office or through the Contact Centre, passengers can
  1. Contact their nearest Qatar Airways Office; or
  2. Call Qatar Airways Contact Centre on +974 4022 0072
The refund will be made to the original form of payment and the refund will be processed within 14 - 28 days.
Passengers who have purchased their Qatar Airways tickets through a Travel Agency can request their refund from the issuing Travel Agent.
Within the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, UAE, Kingdom of Bahrain and Egypt please use: https://refundsapp1.blueivysync.com/...er-refund.html

This is a different web form as the Qatar website is blocked from some of these countries.
For further information and FAQs please visit: http://support.qatarairways.com/hc/e...002369667-FAQs
What Happened

On the 6th of June flights from Qatar to Bahrain, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates (and vice versa) were suspended.

This includes all Qatar flights between Doha and Abu Dhabi, Abha, Alexandria–Borg el Arab, Bahrain, Buraydah, Cairo, Dammam, Dubai–Al Maktoum, Dubai–International, Gassim, Hofuf, Jeddah, Luxor, Madinah, Ras Al Khaimah, Riyadh, Sharjah, Tabuk, Ta'if and Yanbu.

Adding to this at 00:00 (UTC) on the 6th of June restrictions were put in place limiting flights to Doha to one particular corridor through the airspace of Bahrain. This has since been relaxed to two specific corridors through Bahrain airspace with a second corridor up the Saudi Arabia the new addition.

All other flights to other Qatar Airways destinations including the Maldives are still operating although some have delays due to the extended time required to avoid restricted airspace.

There are a couple of routes that are having to make fuel stops in Athens or Muscat but this seems to be dependent on the type of aircraft as well.

Details on the Airspace can be found here - https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/f...ain-and-egypt/

What about my Flights to other destinations?

Flights to Europe, Asia, Pacific and Norte America are operating as per schedule with minimal delays. There is no need to contact QR regarding these services.

Flights between Doha and Souto America are facing delays due to longer times and/or need for a technical stop-over. Flights to GRU and EZE are 2hr to 5hrs longer.

Flight between Doha and Africa/Middle East have longer flights times due to the airspace restrictions. Some routes like Doha to Khartoum have felt the full force of the restrictions with the flight now taking 2hr 30 mins longer than normal.

Qatar has begun to re-time flights to ensure the network continues running smoothly. Changes have been since Monday 12 June 2017, so it is advised to check your flight status and times on the Qatar website.

What about my flight to a suspended destination?

If you are due to fly in the next few days, search for alternative routings and note them down.

24 hours before your scheduled departure time, contact your LOCAL QR office, and ask for their assistance. Advise them that you have found an alternative routing which you would be willing to accept and see if they will book it for you.

If you are due to fly more than 5 days from today, try and relax. Do not panic and please do not call QR as you are blocking the lines for those flying in the next 24 hours. At this stage, Qatar is only offering options to those who are traveling in the next 24 hours.

Currently, people in the thread have suggested that Qatar is rebooking on flights through Muscat, Kuwait, Amman, Istanbul, Mumbai, Beirut, Athens and Tunis.

You can only get a refund if your booking is to one of the destinations listed at the top! (The number of people asking QR on Twitter for a refund of other flights is amazing)

What about other airlines?

Most other carriers in and out of Doha are still operating except for Air Arabia, Air Arabia Egypt, Air Cairo, EgyptAir, Emirates, Etihad, FlyDubai, Rotana Jet and Saudia.

Most other carriers are using the new restricted routes into Doha although provided the aircraft is not registered in Qatar they are allowed to use the Saudi Arabia or Egypt Airspace.

Timeline of Events:

5 June 2017

- UAE, KSA, Bahrain and Egypt withdraw licenses and close airspace
- All MS flights between CAI and DOH was zeroed out
- All GF flights between BAH and DOH closed for sale
- All QR flights between DOH and CAI closed for sale
- All QR staff travel was canceled

6 June 2017

- Airspace Restriction came into effect at 00:00 (UTC)
- All QR flights between DOH and UAE/Bahrain/KSA closed for sale
- QR flights between DOH and MLE still bookable
- QR Charters 3 aircraft from Jeddah to Muscat

7 June 2017
- QR Charters an aircraft from Jeddah to Kuwait

8 June 2017
- Qatar Airways website blocked in the UAE
- Qatar Airways offices in the UAE, Saudi Arabia and Bahrain close

11 June 2017
- Second flight corridor added along the Saudi Arabia Coast

13 June 2017
- UAE Relaxes rules allowing non Qatari registered aircraft to use their airspace to/from Qatar but they are still not allowing flights between the UAE and Qatar from any operators.
- Egypt Relaxes rules allowing non Qatari registered aircraft to use their airspace to/from Qatar. The new rules also allow for non Qatar or Egypt registered aircraft to operate flights between the two countries.

14 June 2017
- Agreement between QR and BA/A3 on reticketing passengers (link below)

Further information:
- QR Travel Alert http://support.qatarairways.com/hc/e...bile_site=true
- QR FAQs http://support.qatarairways.com/hc/e...002369667-FAQs
- QR Charter flights arranged from Jeddah KSA to Muscat Oman http://support.qatarairways.com/hc/e...Muscat-to-Doha
- QR agreement with BA & A3 to reticket their flights http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...r-help-qr.html
- Political background and latest updates: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-40155829
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways - UAE, KSA, Bahrain and Egypt withdraw licenses and close airspace

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Grace B
Well, if they did that during the 24-hour window prior to your scheduled departure (which they say is the rule now), you'd probably miss any connection you had in DOH. Not particularly convenient I would think.
In my own case, I have one itinerary where the first flight is CAi-DOH and the second flight isn't until some months later. I have a second itinerary that starts in DOH the day after arrival, so I'd be OK. But you're right of course that many people likely have much shorter connections in DOH. But I think almost any routing will add at least four or more hours.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
I was checking availability for CAI-AMM-DOH to replace CAI-DOH on my ex-CAI DONEx, and discovered that RJ has married sector logic making CAI-AMM DC when booked as a connection CAI-AMM-DOH even though CAI-AMM is D9 on its own.

CAI-AMM-DOH:

Name:  cai-amm-doh.png
Views: 1095
Size:  132.2 KB

CAI-AMM:

Name:  cai-amm.png
Views: 1004
Size:  52.1 KB
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
After hanging out a QR office a few times, (the agent knew me since last summer), the policy is that 72 hours is for other airline rerouting, for qr operated rerouting (to another destination), one can make the change 30 days before.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by pbd456
After hanging out a QR office a few times, (the agent knew me since last summer), the policy is that 72 hours is for other airline rerouting, for qr operated rerouting (to another destination), one can make the change 30 days before.
It strikes me that the "rules" are somewhat flexible and tend to operate on an office by office and person by person basis.

I've been told on several occasions by different agents at QR's Indian call centre that new routing to/from a port in an affected country can only be done within 24 hours of your ticketed schedule.

On the other hand, I've had my destination in a booking in First (A) class changed from CAI to BEY more than 6 weeks out, at my request, by the same Indian call centre. So, it seems to depend on how and who you ask.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rivlinm
With all due respect for those having travel plans ahead of me, I must disagree with your opinion.

In certain regions of the world, certain nationalities require advance planning. A Sudanese or Iranian visa can't just be bought at the local store on your way to the airport. When I do land back in the USA, I need to continue my travel and must book those flights now at reasonable prices, not <7 days out prices because I waited to plan a MONTH LONG trip until three days out.

I certainly agree it would be bad form calling on June 6th, but a random Friday morning 2 weeks later harms nearly no one. I'm not one to abuse situations or cause undue burden on those in dire need, but at some point it has to be 'reasonable' to sort out our own travel that is potentially altered by the political landscape.

Besides isn't maximizing air and travel plans the true 'spirit' of FT?

To each their own...but I wasn't willing to cause myself $300-400 in additional travel costs by sitting on the sidelines waiting for a solution.
Very well said! ^
Old Jun 16, 2017, 11:28 pm

I have a business class ticket flying LXR-DOH-HKG in 3 weeks issued by an OTA not QR. The OTA has replied to my email saying the only option is cancellation and a refund. For me anything would be better than that - either dropping the first segment, rerouting via KWI or starting my trip in AMM.

When I have called QR about other affected trips they ask if I booked on QR,com or not and the website directs me to contact my travel agent for tickets not booked on QR.com

Does anyone have experience of QR taking over an OTA issued ticket prior to travel and handling the reissue/reroute?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 11:58 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Ticketing number question: I have a CAI-DOH-MUC flight booked for next week. QR told me I can drop the first leg. By doing so, will my ticket number change? The reason why I ask is because I have a tourism Qatar promotion hotel booked using my existing ticket number and I'd prefer not to have the reservation jeopardized.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by SullyofDoha
Ticketing number question: I have a CAI-DOH-MUC flight booked for next week. QR told me I can drop the first leg. By doing so, will my ticket number change? The reason why I ask is because I have a tourism Qatar promotion hotel booked using my existing ticket number and I'd prefer not to have the reservation jeopardized.
This may be a YMMV response but here was my experience 3 days ago.

Was booked SYD-DOH-CAI with 3 hour connection which was changed to SYD-DOH-KWI-CAI with 2 hrs in DOH and 12 hrs in KWI which some wise person suggested I change which I did to have 11 hrs in DOH and 3 hrs in KWI (2 hrs and 59 mins too long).

I was supposed to do a same plane turnaround in CAI on another ticket CAI-DOH-MPM with an overnight in DOH on which I had booked a Qatar+ free night at the Oryx Rotana.

On arrival in CAI from SYD I went to the QR sales desk and cancelled the CAI-DOH-MPM ticket but as I now had 11 hrs in DOH and a confirmed reservation that evening linked to the cancelled ticket I thought I would give it a shot at the Rotana.

The Rotana meet and greet person outside arrivals had a list of all guests expected that day and I wasn't on the list! Anyway I caught the hotel shuttle and presented my Qatar+ confirmation print-out to the front desk and they checked me in without any issue.

So even though the Qatar + reservation was for the CAi-DOH-MPM ticket which I had just cancelled I was able to use it for the SYD-DOH-KWI-CAI reservation.

So the things to note are:

1) I only cancelled the MPM ticket 30mins prior to checking in at the Rotana at 6am so Qatar+ might normally cancel the reservation in those circumstances but it may not have had time to work through the system.

2) The Rotana Meet + Greet person did not have my name listed even though I was originally booked to arrive at 5pm that evening rather than 6am - had Qatar+ already cancelled my hotel stay because there was no flight CAI-DOH on which I was supposed to arrive that evening?

3) regardless of all the above the hotel honoured the reservation as listed on the confirmation print-out I provided.

4) If you are changing your flight reservation weeks or even days in advance none of the aforementioned may be of any relevance.

5) It works well at the Oryx Rotana where they have 20 minutely airport shuttles but may not be as good a gamble if at a hotel further afield
Old Jun 17, 2017, 2:35 am

Programs: TK elite & BA Gold
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Does anyone have experience of QR taking over an OTA issued ticket prior to travel and handling the reissue/reroute?
Call the OTA

Tell them the problem and possible new flights.

Let them call QR on the second line to confirm this and reissue ticket.
Might be possible that they do this only 3 days before departure.
By this time you can arrange these changes as well directly with QR.

Good luck!
Old Jun 17, 2017, 4:44 am

I have a question related to points. I booked a business class ticket from Riyadh to Stockholm via Doha and back.

When this diplomatic issue started up, I called and was offered to change my routing on either Lufthansa via Munich or Turkish via Istanbul. I chose the latter as it worked the best in terms of timing.

Usually I keep all my points on the main American carriers (Delta, United, American), but am unsure what will happen here. When flying Qatar before, I'd put in my frequent flyer code for American, and got the points with no problem.

But Turkish Airlines is not even in the same alliance as Qatar. Turkish is in Star Alliance (United would be the US carrier I'd save with), and Qatar is in OneWorld (with American).

How will points be credited for this flight? My actual tickets that were reissued (the flight hasn't happened yet) via email are on a Qatar letterhead but list the Turkish flights. When I go to the airport to check in, do I just go to the Qatar desk and ask the flight to be applied to my American account? Or since it is actually on a Turkish flight, do I hope I somehow get points on United? It is a significant amount of points to risk missing out on :/
Old Jun 17, 2017, 4:59 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Happy
Very well said! ^
Yes, + 1 here.

There is quite a lot of self-righteous waffle in some of this thread IMHO. Many of us have significant/complex commitments, add-ons, family issues etc etc built around our existing flights & have good reason for re-booking outside of the so-called policies/timeframes mentioned by some. We certainly don’t have to justify ourselves here.

There are, of course, many helpful inputs here too & for those many off us are indeed very grateful ^
Old Jun 17, 2017, 5:11 am

Programs: TK elite & BA Gold
@penguintalk:

You will get the miles for the TK-FLIGHT in any Star Alliance program you want to credit the flight to.
Most possibly for you: United.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by foxyankee
@penguintalk:

You will get the miles for the TK-FLIGHT in any Star Alliance program you want to credit the flight to.
Most possibly for you: United.
Okay. Since the Turkish Air site doesn't acknowledge me having a trip booked, but my original Qatar booking reference number pulls up the Turkish flight on the Qatar site, should I just wait until after my flight and try to get credited by United after the fact?
Old Jun 17, 2017, 5:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by NoY

Many of us have significant/complex commitments, add-ons, family issues etc etc built around our existing flights & have good reason for re-booking outside of the so-called policies/timeframes mentioned by some.
Agreed 100%! Add me to that list.

Self, wife, son, daughter and son-in-law have no fewer than eight (two to HKG, three to MNL, one to MIA and two to BRU) QR F/J itineraries transiting DOH between now and the end of August 2017.

I can't simply sit on my hands and not attempt to take mitigation measures ASAP - particularly with already-paid-for connecting flights, hotels, etc to consider. While I didn't attempt to contact QR during the first 10 days of the start of the current situation - recognising that there were passengers with a far more urgent need than myself to get themselves sorted out with QR - I believe that the initial surge of enquiries must have died down by now. I'm certainly not going to meekly wait until, say T-72, to explore my options with QR.

As stated earlier in the thread I've even booked and paid for some 'insurance' refundable EK tickets; I hope I don't have to use such tickets - the Tier Points earned flying QR are useful for maintaining BAEC status for the entire family!
Old Jun 17, 2017, 5:42 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Agreed 100%! Add me to that list.

Self, wife, son, daughter and son-in-law have no fewer than eight (two to HKG, three to MNL, one to MIA and two to BRU) QR F/J itineraries transiting DOH between now and the end of August 2017.

I can't simply sit on my hands and not attempt to take mitigation measures ASAP - particularly with already-paid-for connecting flights, hotels, etc to consider. While I didn't attempt to contact QR during the first 10 days of the start of the current situation - recognising that there were passengers with a far more urgent need than myself to get themselves sorted out with QR - I believe that the initial surge of enquiries must have died down by now. I'm certainly not going to meekly wait until, say T-72, to explore my options with QR.

As stated earlier in the thread I've even booked and paid for some 'insurance' refundable EK tickets; I hope I don't have to use such tickets - the Tier Points earned flying QR are useful for maintaining BAEC status for the entire family!
Quite - BTW, I knew that I could rely on you as the “the voice of reason” .

I have some 12 or more F & J sectors booked, all carefully planned & paid for out of my own pocket. Being based in the UAE for the majority of the year, this situation has caused many things to be displaced/about to be displaced, so having a reasonable window into say the next 2-3 weeks (at least) is important to me, as I can plan around potential peripheral issues - car hire/hotel/dinner plans .

So far I have “only” had two sets of flights affected; one to LHR (I cancelled/refunded & rebooked on EY) & one to HKT next week which QR rebooked for me onto CX on my preferred flights - but even this required me to leave earlier than planned in order to get there in time for commitments already made at HKT which in itself displaced other plans.

QR are being damned flexible thus far & I am sure we will all get sorted suitably - doesn’t help with the stress though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.