Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

+Qatar - Doha Hotel stopovers no longer free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: escape4
Thought it would be worthwhile setting up a Wiki for this so all the information needed is in a single place:

The offer is being able to book 1 night in a 4 Star hotel in Doha for 23 USD or 5 Star hotel for 28 USD
The tickets need to be on 157-xxxx stock (QR) and the layover has to be for a minimum of 12 hours.

Confirmed by QR:
Offer valid for Qatar Airways confirmed ticket holders only.
Offer is available on Qatar Airways flights transiting through Doha during on-ward or return journey. (E.g.
London –Doha – Bangkok).
For two (or more) people travelling together both outward and return hotels can be booked on separate tickets.
A minimum transiting time of 12 hours is required to be eligible for this offer.
Not applicable on codeshare flights.
Other terms and conditions apply. Please review at the time of booking.
A valid visa is required to enter the country.Nationals from a total of 80 countries can now take advantage
of visa-free entry into Qatar. Entry into Qatar will be at the discretion of the immigration authorities.
Discover Qatar is not responsible for the decision taken by the immigration authorities.

Link with full information is : https://www.qatarairways.com/en/offers/plus-qatar.html
Booking page is : https://discoverqatar.qatarairways.com/us-en/plusqatar

Hotels:

To be completed think it would be useful to mention advantages / Distances from attractions here but mine is:

Warwick Doha

Transport:

By far Uber is the best option in Qatar and is easy to book using the Airport and the hotel wifi.
Print Wikipost

+Qatar - Doha Hotel stopovers no longer free

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: KF Gold, *G, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Titanium
What's the best property to choose for the $28 stopover?
Old Sep 29, 2019, 2:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life
Does anyone have any insight as to whether this offer is going to be extended beyond December 31st?

I've got a 23 hour stopover in February that doesn't qualify for the free stopover package, so I'm very much hoping it will be continued into 2020.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: BAEC
Insight, no.

But I think previously it has been extended about 2 months out from the expiration of the current promotion. If you can trawl back through the thread you should find a more accurate timeline of announcements and updates. So hopefully you should get some confirmation either way before the end of November even with some slippage.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: KF Gold, *G, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Titanium
Booked the Marriott Marquis Doha for my stop over, how can I add the booking to my Marriott Bonvoy account? Will it be eligible for stay/points credit?
Old Oct 2, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by elephentravels
Booked the Marriott Marquis Doha for my stop over, how can I add the booking to my Marriott Bonvoy account? Will it be eligible for stay/points credit?
Email the hotel directly, they should be able to do it. You can also use it as an opportunity to tell them your check in time.

For the latter I did not get anything for a Westin stay.

Last edited by Schwann; Oct 15, 2019 at 12:50 am
Old Oct 13, 2019, 2:43 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Gold, Singapore air Kris flyer,Emirates Silver, Etihad Gold
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I need your recommendation please. I will be landing in Doha at 23:15 and will be going to Souq Al Wakra Boutique hotel which is not far away from the airport I guess. Which do you recommend getting an Uber or a taxi? how much will it cost? can I pay with credit card or need to have Qatari Riyals? Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by tokyolyon
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I need your recommendation please. I will be landing in Doha at 23:15 and will be going to Souq Al Wakra Boutique hotel which is not far away from the airport I guess. Which do you recommend getting an Uber or a taxi? how much will it cost? can I pay with credit card or need to have Qatari Riyals? Thanks in advance.

Hello. The fare estimate for Uber is 23-29 Riyals. You can use your card for the Uber.

Can't help with the taxi question.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by tokyolyon
Uber: cheaper and more convenient if you have your credit card on the ap. The only problem can be the internet connection, if you you rely on the one provided by the airport. It is clunky at best once landside. I do it after passports, before customs (where there's usually no hold-up).

Make sure you understand which door ("gate") your driver will aim for, and get there on time - they get moved on after a few minutes.

Taxi: puts a QAR25 airport fee on top of the fare. In your case essentially doubling the cost of getting you to the souq. It still won't break the bank though, at around £10. The killer is that you need cash: Karwa/Mowasalat has been promising card payments for taxis but I think has yet to deliver on that.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Uber: cheaper and more convenient if you have your credit card on the ap. The only problem can be the internet connection, if you you rely on the one provided by the airport. It is clunky at best once landside. I do it after passports, before customs (where there's usually no hold-up).

Make sure you understand which door ("gate") your driver will aim for, and get there on time - they get moved on after a few minutes.

Taxi: puts a QAR25 airport fee on top of the fare. In your case essentially doubling the cost of getting you to the souq. It still won't break the bank though, at around £10. The killer is that you need cash: Karwa/Mowasalat has been promising card payments for taxis but I think has yet to deliver on that.
Despite the cost, I would still say the metered taxi is more convenient. There are also ATM's and a money exchange in arrivals so you can always get the cash from there.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Ben_W
Despite the cost, I would still say the metered taxi is more convenient. There are also ATM's and a money exchange in arrivals so you can always get the cash from there.
With cash in pocket I'd be happy to take the fixed-fee hit.

But i resent the inefficiencies and faff of handling foreign currencies. I know, I know - I should relax

From Uber, through hotels, meals, metro, cafes and Carrefour I can *survive Doha on credit cards, so I seldom arrive with left-over notes in my pocket.

*OK, getting a haircut defeated me - should try harder!
Old Oct 14, 2019, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
With cash in pocket I'd be happy to take the fixed-fee hit.

But i resent the inefficiencies and faff of handling foreign currencies. I know, I know - I should relax

From Uber, through hotels, meals, metro, cafes and Carrefour I can *survive Doha on credit cards, so I seldom arrive with left-over notes in my pocket.

*OK, getting a haircut defeated me - should try harder!
I guess you will have to go for the more expensive hotel hair cut if you want to stick to the card!

Karwa have their own app (like Uber) where you can pay by card, but I don't know how that works at the airport and no tourist is going to download the app. They also have the QR Codes in each taxi, allowing you to pay by card. But again, I don't know if you have to have the app for that first?
Old Oct 15, 2019, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by Ben_W
I can't possibly think why going to a cash machine, finding a machine that will take my card and not charge me a cash withdrawal fee AND a ride that would cost me extra is any more convenient than getting my phone out and ordering an Uber.

But that is just my opinion. If you are relying on the airport wifi for Uber updates it is a bit annoying that the connection doesn't extend outside.

Last edited by Schwann; Oct 16, 2019 at 3:40 am
Old Oct 16, 2019, 2:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Schwann
I can't possibly think why going to a cash machine, finding a machine that will take my card and not charge me a cash withdrawal fee AND cost me extra is any more convenient than getting my phone out and ordering an Uber.

But that is just my opinion. If you are relying on the airport wifi for Uber updates t is a bit annoying that the connection doesn't extend outside.
Their metered taxis suck. The drivers have no clue where they're going, so I 100% agree with you about Uber!
Old Oct 17, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Schwann
I can't possibly think why going to a cash machine, finding a machine that will take my card and not charge me a cash withdrawal fee AND a ride that would cost me extra is any more convenient than getting my phone out and ordering an Uber.

But that is just my opinion. If you are relying on the airport wifi for Uber updates it is a bit annoying that the connection doesn't extend outside.
What I always do is email the hotel to pick us up at the airport. That way there is a driver waiting with my name on a sign who whisks us to the hotel. More expensive, but convenient, especially when arriving in the middle of the night. For everything else -- visiting a museum or mall or whatever, and for getting back to the airport from the hotel -- I use Uber. I've never bothered to get QAR cash.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I’ve just managed to book a stay for January so this has been extended now! Good news!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.