Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

+Qatar - Doha Hotel stopovers no longer free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: escape4
Thought it would be worthwhile setting up a Wiki for this so all the information needed is in a single place:

The offer is being able to book 1 night in a 4 Star hotel in Doha for 23 USD or 5 Star hotel for 28 USD
The tickets need to be on 157-xxxx stock (QR) and the layover has to be for a minimum of 12 hours.

Confirmed by QR:
Offer valid for Qatar Airways confirmed ticket holders only.
Offer is available on Qatar Airways flights transiting through Doha during on-ward or return journey. (E.g.
London –Doha – Bangkok).
For two (or more) people travelling together both outward and return hotels can be booked on separate tickets.
A minimum transiting time of 12 hours is required to be eligible for this offer.
Not applicable on codeshare flights.
Other terms and conditions apply. Please review at the time of booking.
A valid visa is required to enter the country.Nationals from a total of 80 countries can now take advantage
of visa-free entry into Qatar. Entry into Qatar will be at the discretion of the immigration authorities.
Discover Qatar is not responsible for the decision taken by the immigration authorities.

Link with full information is : https://www.qatarairways.com/en/offers/plus-qatar.html
Booking page is : https://discoverqatar.qatarairways.com/us-en/plusqatar

Hotels:

To be completed think it would be useful to mention advantages / Distances from attractions here but mine is:

Warwick Doha

Transport:

By far Uber is the best option in Qatar and is easy to book using the Airport and the hotel wifi.
Print Wikipost

+Qatar - Doha Hotel stopovers no longer free

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2018, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by bmibaby737
I Will be arriving in DOH at midnight, Taxi or uber to the warwick do folks Recommend?

Uber (seamless payment through credit card and it's cheaper).

But there are cons:
  • For Uber you need an internet connection: easy enough but a bit of a faff (use the airport wifi through the QR PNR option)
  • You should message the driver to specify Gate number (curb-side pick-up is numbered by the exit door "Gate"). Higher numbers are less crowded - I go for Gate 4 towards the further end of the arrival curb, to the right as you come out of customs. Make sure you are at the pick-up spot on time because the police are tough about moving drivers on, and it's a long circuit for yours to get back. I think the App still tries to direct you to a pick-up in the parking lot - I've never used that option.
  • Pick-up can be efficient, lightening fast; but there's often a period of anxious scanning of approaching car registrations.
To be honest I don't know if the taxis already take credit cards - it was a planned enhancement. If they do they might become the preferred option, if you don't mind paying more for the speedier pick-up.

sadly, I believe a midnight arrival rules out the bus service

Last edited by IAN-UK; May 19, 2018 at 3:54 am
Old May 19, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Uber (seamless payment through credit card and it's cheaper).

But there are cons:
  • For Uber you need an internet connection: easy enough but a bit of a faff (use the airport wifi through the QR PNR option)
  • You should message the driver to specify Gate number (curb-side pick-up is numbered by the exit door "Gate"). Higher numbers are less crowded - I go for Gate 4 towards the further end of the arrival curb, to the right as you come out of customs. Make sure you are at the pick-up spot on time because the police are tough about moving drivers on, and it's a long circuit for yours to get back. I think the App still tries to direct you to a pick-up in the parking lot - I've never used that option.
  • Pick-up can be efficient, lightening fast; but there's often a period of anxious scanning of approaching car registrations.
To be honest I don't know if the taxis already take credit cards - it was a planned enhancement. If they do they might become the preferred option, if you don't mind paying more for the speedier pick-up.

sadly, I believe a midnight arrival rules out the bus service
Much appreciated! Never used Uber outside of the UK so a bit sceptical but will take your advice!
Old May 19, 2018, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Much appreciated! Never used Uber outside of the UK so a bit sceptical but will take your advice!
Uber generally works like a dream overseas.

Airports can be difficult though, at least until you get used to an airport's quirks. The problems are two: sorting out internet access, and identifying the pick-up spot and hooking up with the driver.

DOH is one of the easier ones. But if things don't work out, the arrivals area is compact/manageable, so it's easy to get some cash and take a taxi. The Uber fare to West Bay should be QAR40-ish, a taxi QAR70+
Old May 19, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond

Once you leave the UK, with some exceptions, UBER can be dirt cheap and without a doubt the best way to travel. Journeys over an hour can cost just a few pounds in SE Asia.
Old May 19, 2018, 5:21 pm

Uber generally works like a dream overseas.

Airports can be difficult though, at least until you get used to an airport's quirks. The problems are two: sorting out internet access, and identifying the pick-up spot and hooking up with the driver.

DOH is one of the easier ones. But if things don't work out, the arrivals area is compact/manageable, so it's easy to get some cash and take a taxi. The Uber fare to West Bay should be QAR40-ish, a taxi QAR70+
Made it to the Warwick and messaged the driver like you said to pick me up from "gate 4". Worked a treat.

Any idea on what I can do in Doha tomorrow? Is there a tour that can be done?

I don't want to do too much outside as I'll be wearing shorts during ramadam. I'd like to go down the souk but I don't want to do that in jeans.
Old May 20, 2018, 12:41 am

Regarding taxi's, if you have cash, take a public taxi (unless the queue is too big). I find the whole process much easier.
On the other hand, I prefer to use Uber when I need to get anywhere around the city. Like from my home for a night out etc.
Old May 20, 2018, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Made it to the Warwick and messaged the driver like you said to pick me up from "gate 4". Worked a treat.

Any idea on what I can do in Doha tomorrow? Is there a tour that can be done?

I don't want to do too much outside as I'll be wearing shorts during ramadam. I'd like to go down the souk but I don't want to do that in jeans.
I think there is some sort of tour bus - I've seen a stand touting something or other at the City Centre mall. But the reality is there's not all that much to see, or do.

Of those things, the museum, MIA, stands out; after that it's downhill through the souk to the malls, dhows, a beach, the weird expat-focussed Pearl development (really, don't bother). Ramadan hours can be strained. But i'd suggest you get your jeans on, check the MIA opening hours and take an Uber down there. Save the souk for after the fast-time is over and witness some iftar-feasting.
Old May 20, 2018, 3:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Weren't allowed to short check bags to Doha

We had a lovely trip in Business from Stockholm to Sydney, with 17h in Doha (01.00-20.20 approx.). It was a very cheap fare but we were very surprised that on check in at Stockholm, we had to check the bags through to Sydney and could not collect them at Doha.
Luckily the staff at Stockholm took us to an area where could repack to put our clothes for Doha and onwards, into our carry on, but it meant we had no access to wash bags etc. as they had a lot of liquids.
Could have been a lot worse but we were surprised that it had not been made clear on the ticket that this would be the case. Even checking the paperwork again I can not see it said that we can't collect our bags at Doha, and there were offers of Hotel stays etc.
Otherwise stay at Hilton Doha (free via Discover Qatar) went well and we booked the room from the date before we arrived( i.e. from Sunday to Monday although we did not land until 01.00 Monday) but put check in as 02.00 next day. There were no problems with our checkout time of 17.00.
Old May 20, 2018, 4:39 am

I think there is some sort of tour bus - I've seen a stand touting something or other at the City Centre mall. But the reality is there's not all that much to see, or do.

Of those things, the museum, MIA, stands out; after that it's downhill through the souk to the malls, dhows, a beach, the weird expat-focussed Pearl development (really, don't bother). Ramadan hours can be strained. But i'd suggest you get your jeans on, check the MIA opening hours and take an Uber down there. Save the souk for after the fast-time is over and witness some iftar-feasting.
Thanks. I left my hotel later than planned due to a bit of work I was finishing off and didn't think I'd get down to the MIA before it closes @ 2 today i believe. I shot up to the mall of Qatar for a little while via uber which is where I am now. Only place that I particularly fancied while wearing Jeans...

but you're right, there's hardly anything to do here. I was reading up on that pearl development just now, not at all inspired by a palm tree development across the way to the east...

Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:15 pm

Maximum of one booking is allowed per E-ticket number

Hello everyone! My 1st post here. I just read through half of the discussion but I still don’t really understand what they said on this problem: “Maximum of one booking is allowed per E-ticket number.”. I’m about to book a return flight between Hungary and Vietnam. Because the tickets for both trips are included under 1 E-ticket number, so I am allowed to book for free for only one night stay for the whole trip, am I correct? Thank you very much for your answer!
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by Ngminh8895
Hello everyone! My 1st post here. I just read through half of the discussion but I still don’t really understand what they said on this problem: “Maximum of one booking is allowed per E-ticket number.”. I’m about to book a return flight between Hungary and Vietnam. Because the tickets for both trips are included under 1 E-ticket number, so I am allowed to book for free for only one night stay for the whole trip, am I correct? Thank you very much for your answer!
Yes you can only book 1 night as you are buying only 1 ticket.
Ngminh8895 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Ngminh8895
That's what I heard, only 1 stay per ticket, regardless of whether the ticket is for a one way or round trip. So in your case, you supposedly need to choose between outbound and return.
Ngminh8895 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by wheatbeer
Yes you can only book 1 night as you are buying only 1 ticket.
Originally Posted by makrom
That's what I heard, only 1 stay per ticket, regardless of whether the ticket is for a one way or round trip. So in your case, you supposedly need to choose between outbound and return.
Thanks a lot for your help!
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
The Westin was great!
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
But its not directly in the city "center". I'm debating with myself if I'd like to stay at the Hilton (on the beach, but no "member perks") or at the Westin or Marriot again, with lounge access and breakfast etc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.