Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR DOH-USA flights: electronic devices permitted on ALL flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Qatar Airways Flights to U.S.A. Electronics Ban Lifted

Travel to the United States: Electronics ban lifted

Link

Qatar Airways is pleased to confirm that with immediate effect, all personal electronic devices can be carried on board all departures from Hamad International Airport to destinations in the United States.

Qatar Airways and Hamad International Airport have met with all requirements of the US Department of Homeland Security’s new security guidelines and we would like to express our thanks to the US and local authorities for their support during this process.

We would also like to thank our loyal passengers for their understanding and patience while the ban has been in place.

Updated on 6 July @ 01:57 GMT
Print Wikipost

QR DOH-USA flights: electronic devices permitted on ALL flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
The US version of this ban is so obviously a stinker sinker devised by the US Majors against the ME 3 that one can only applaud at such a response and counterattack. This is a major backhand.

If on top of it HE AAB cancels a couple of B787 orders for A350s, this will become a Guinness Book Tit for Tat.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by kq747
No free wifi like Etihad but still a good move on their part.
True, not free Wifi, but very cheap. Free for the first hour, then USD $5 for the duration of the flight. That's close enough to free for me.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by remdk
Reading https://www.dhs.gov/news/2017/03/21/...rture-airports which says
"The aviation security enhancements will include requiring that all personal electronic devices larger than a cell phone or smart phone be placed in checked baggage at 10 airports where flights are departing for the United States."
I am struck by the word ALL and the fact that is says 'personal electronic devices' not 'passengers personal electronic devices'! Thus the ban appears to apply to the cabin crew and airline supplied devices as well as passenger devices.
Cabin crew on my flight confirmed that they were unable to bring their own electronic devices on board.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Question

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
http://www.qatarairways.com/qa/en/pr...ID=SMALL854800

That sounds interesting! Has anyone witnessed it?

"DOHA, Qatar – Qatar Airways has announced a unique solution to the recently imposed Electronics Ban by offering passengers a laptop loan service that takes their award-winning five-star reputation to new heights. Showing true commitment to travellers affected by the ban the Doha-based airline has taken the notable step to purchase laptops available for loan on all of their US flights; meaning uninterrupted productivity and service throughout their journey."
Great! Just have your stuff on a USB thumb drive (preferably with a virus checker) and go to town.

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Cabin crew on my flight confirmed that they were unable to bring their own electronic devices on board.
Gadzooks! Electronic Flight Bags banned on USA bound flights?
Old Mar 31, 2017, 12:04 am

C17PSGR we need to be careful with use of the word personal here. Is it, as you suggest, about ownership of the equipment or is it, as I think, about the affected device types?
What is PC an abbreviation for? 30+ years ago a PC was defined as any any digital computing device that is intended for individual use.
If we take it to mean ownership then the ban falls apart. You do not own your employer supplied PC! If you swapped your personally owned devices a with another passenger just before the gate then you would both be able to take the equipment onboard since you do not personally own it!
Old Mar 31, 2017, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is PC an abbreviation for? 30+ years ago a PC was defined as any any digital computing device that is intended for individual use.
That's actually an interesting question, remdk. Like many here, I was around before PCs, in the mainframe era. Back then, I used the term "personal computer" to refer to a small computer which could only be used by one person at a time, as opposed to mainframes (IBM 360 series and successors) or even minicomputers (e.g., PDP 8 series), which could be used by multiple people simultaneously. Now, of course, even laptops are capable of supporting multiple users, so the meaning (at least as I used it) has clearly evolved.

I haven't thought about this in a long time; thanks for the trip down Memory Lane!
Old Mar 31, 2017, 5:49 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
Great!

No, cabin crew couldn't bring their personally owned electronics into the cabin.

Flight deck crew had no restrictions on airline owned/issued electronics. I didn't ask if the flight deck crew could bring on personally owned electronics.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 5:57 am

Programs: Qatar Platinum, One World Emerald, IHG Platinum Elite
Is Gate check in of personal devices official?

In reading through this thread, it wasn't clear to me whether the Gate check-in of devices was an official policy (as announced by EK/EY) to the point that they would be allowed in the cabin of a pre-Doha segment. But in reading the press release from Qatar today on the loaner laptops, the language, though not highlighted, is in there:

"The complimentary laptops will be available to Business Class passengers travelling on all US-bound flights from next week and can be collected after boarding. Customers will be able to download their work on to a USB before stepping on board to pick up where they left-off. Qatar Airways is offering a special service at the gate for all passengers, whereby any electronic items prohibited by the new ban will be collected and securely packaged. These will be tagged, loaded as check-in baggage and returned safely to the customer on arrival to the US."

It would be great if anyone with recent experience could confirm that this is a matter of consistent policy as opposed to a case-by-case one. Have a trip to MIA via DOH in mid April and hoping to be able to gate check an iPad atleast. Thanks all in advance!
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
C17PSGR we need to be careful with use of the word personal here. Is it, as you suggest, about ownership of the equipment or is it, as I think, about the affected device types?
If we take it to mean ownership then the ban falls apart. You do not own your employer supplied PC! If you swapped your personally owned devices a with another passenger just before the gate then you would both be able to take the equipment onboard since you do not personally own it!
I think the intent of person is to suggest a distinction between something I bring on (OK ... maybe may employer owns it) from something that Qatar Airlines owns and controls (well at least sort of) such as the pilots Electronic Flight Bags (EFB) -- iPad.

If we assume that the concern is that there a new concept of a shoe bomber applied to electronics larger than a phone, then the concept applies to things a passenger controls but not to computers owned by the airline that don't leave airline control and a sterile area.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Great! Just have your stuff on a USB thumb drive (preferably with a virus checker) and go to town.
Anyone know if these laptops have Citrix installed or if they are locked down from installing Citrix?
Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
I may be reading the comment wrong but I think it means that crew cannot bring personal electronics onboard but Airline Issued EFB should be fine? Feel free to correct me...
Old Mar 31, 2017, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by kq747
I may be reading the comment wrong but I think it means that crew cannot bring personal electronics onboard but Airline Issued EFB should be fine? Feel free to correct me...
I can't imagine that their would be restrictions of the airline issued EFB. If there were, we would see lots of flight disruptions that aren't happening and lots of backlash.

Of course, not sure about QR, but pilots often carry their EFB's around outside the airport. Then again, its not a matter of stealing the EFB.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cofyknsult there is no fixed list of security exemptions. Every day a list of flights that are exempted security checks THAT DAY is given to security personnel that man arrival gates. This is on a flight by flight basis and some flights are more likely to be on that list than others. But other than Security, no one knows which flights until passengers disembark!

So passengers from ALL arriving flights go through security unless the flight is on the days list of exemptions.
Any idea how they make that determination, remdk? I have a 35 minute connection in a few days, CMB-DOH-BOS. I'm hoping to walk to the gate with my laptop and have them wrap and check it separately at C9, as described upthread. Needless to say, I'm concerned about the connection time.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 10:49 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Any idea how they make that determination, remdk? I have a 35 minute connection in a few days, CMB-DOH-BOS. I'm hoping to walk to the gate with my laptop and have them wrap and check it separately at C9, as described upthread. Needless to say, I'm concerned about the connection time.
Is 35 mins even legal? I doubt that will be enough time. You'll have to go to your DOH-BOS gate first, and from what I read above someone will walk with you to C9 together (in my case, I cleared security and they had to carry my laptop to C9 and send it back which was unnerving as I couldn't be in sight of it). To be super specific, I arrived at my gate at T-60 but wasn't able to board and settle everything until T-15 or so.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 11:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Is 35 mins even legal? I doubt that will be enough time. You'll have to go to your DOH-BOS gate first, and from what I read above someone will walk with you to C9 together (in my case, I cleared security and they had to carry my laptop to C9 and send it back which was unnerving as I couldn't be in sight of it). To be super specific, I arrived at my gate at T-60 but wasn't able to board and settle everything until T-15 or so.
+1. It won't work. 35 mins can only work if your next flight is right next to the gate you arrived at and you aren't a minute late and have no hiccups at security. Before all this new "security" stuff it took me 20 mins to walk from one gate to the other and another 20-30 mins to clear gate security.

Arriving at an unknown gate and then having to walk 1-20 mins to the next gate and pass security and deal with this new personal device wrapping stuff in 35 mins is going to be super stressful and not likely to work out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.