Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR DOH-USA flights: electronic devices permitted on ALL flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Qatar Airways Flights to U.S.A. Electronics Ban Lifted

Travel to the United States: Electronics ban lifted

Link

Qatar Airways is pleased to confirm that with immediate effect, all personal electronic devices can be carried on board all departures from Hamad International Airport to destinations in the United States.

Qatar Airways and Hamad International Airport have met with all requirements of the US Department of Homeland Security’s new security guidelines and we would like to express our thanks to the US and local authorities for their support during this process.

We would also like to thank our loyal passengers for their understanding and patience while the ban has been in place.

Updated on 6 July @ 01:57 GMT
Print Wikipost

QR DOH-USA flights: electronic devices permitted on ALL flights

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:43 am

htwild1 as I said in my previous reply the ban is only on nonstop flights FROM a number of Middle east airports TO the US. No other flights are affected and there is no ban om flights FROM the US.

Read post 1 of this thread to see the exact countries FROM which the electronics ban applies.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Any news on the rollout of laptops in biz between DOH-LAX and other US destinations FROM Doha?
Old May 2, 2017, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA GOLD
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Any news on the rollout of laptops in biz between DOH-LAX and other US destinations FROM Doha?
I flew today and there were loaner laptops available. I meant to use one, but ended up getting more sleep than I planned on and woke up just prior to arrival. I didn't see anyone using one in the cabin, so I would guess that there isn't a lot of competition for them.
Old May 4, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by bspahn
I flew today and there were loaner laptops available. I meant to use one, but ended up getting more sleep than I planned on and woke up just prior to arrival. I didn't see anyone using one in the cabin, so I would guess that there isn't a lot of competition for them.
Do you request these from the crew onboard? Are they Macs or PCs? Have a flight in a few days and hoping to get some work done...
Old May 5, 2017, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Do you request these from the crew onboard? Are they Macs or PCs? Have a flight in a few days and hoping to get some work done...
You request from the crew onboard. Not sure what the model was, I didn't get one myself. I asked the flight attendant about it while boarding and he told me to ask him for it after takeoff. Instead of working, I ended up watching a movie, reading a book and sleeping, so I didn't get a look at the machine myself.
Old May 6, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
The press release has an image of a 13" Retina Macbook Pro, I'm not sure if those are the ones being loaned out.

I'll be flying to LAX soon and will check with the crew on board.
Old May 8, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
I ended up sleeping/reading/watching movies. So I have no idea what/if they had anything on board. Probably should have asked but it was actually kind of pleasant to not be glued to my computer screen for once. Maybe this route is actually a benefit that I should do more often.
Old May 12, 2017, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
I ended up sleeping/reading/watching movies. So I have no idea what/if they had anything on board. Probably should have asked but it was actually kind of pleasant to not be glued to my computer screen for once. Maybe this route is actually a benefit that I should do more often.
That's how I ended up viewing it. I don't remember the last time I read a book for two hours without diverting my attention to a screen.
Old May 15, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Ok so I flew a couple of days ago to LAX. Had one of the best crew attending to me during the flight that I wrote in to commend him.

I did ask about the laptop but he said they didnt have any yet for the flight but were planning to launch them really soon. So I'm not sure if they have really started with the service yet or just somehow this flight didnt have them.

Anyways I loaded up my iPhone with lots of Netflix shows just in case. Spent most of the time reading, and watching one or two movies.

Also the flight was almost full in Business, only had a handful of empty seats left.
Old May 16, 2017, 1:59 am

Has anyone had any experience with bringing a Glucose Testing Meter on board? Instinct tells me it should be allowed (it's small, about half the size of a cellphone) but Qatar can't tell me for sure.
Old May 17, 2017, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
Has anyone had any experience with bringing a Glucose Testing Meter on board? Instinct tells me it should be allowed (it's small, about half the size of a cellphone) but Qatar can't tell me for sure.
It's a medical device probably which is one of the exceptions of being allowed to bring on board.
Old May 18, 2017, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by DrDank
It's a medical device probably which is one of the exceptions of being allowed to bring on board.
Yeah. Except the official text says only if the device needs to be used onboard - which I presume is referring to equipment that has to be continuously on. Oh well, doesn't really matter if they don't want to let it onboard. Thanks
Old May 18, 2017, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
Yeah. Except the official text says only if the device needs to be used onboard - which I presume is referring to equipment that has to be continuously on. Oh well, doesn't really matter if they don't want to let it onboard. Thanks
travelswithmyself surely this is covered by the statement on http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...el-alerts.page "are prohibited from carrying any electronic devices on board the flight larger than a cellular phone or smart phone," . (My bold).

If it is smaller than all three of the phone dimensions it is permitted in the cabin!
Old May 18, 2017, 9:31 pm

Programs: QR Gold
Travelled to JFK in late April.
Large DSLR and iPad were gate checked in Doha, wrapped and boxed and given a claim form to hand over to the QR Agent at JFK.
There was 15 minutes delay opening the airbridge - as the CSD said the A350 is not popular in the US! CBP took one minute and the bags were already on the belt because of the airbridge delay. The boxes (about 50 in total) came with the J bags. Placed on the
floor by the belt attendant with no QR Agent present. Picked up my box and walked off happy that the equipment was in good order.
Old May 19, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by flyyme
Travelled to JFK in late April.
Large DSLR and iPad were gate checked in Doha, wrapped and boxed and given a claim form to hand over to the QR Agent at JFK.
There was 15 minutes delay opening the airbridge - as the CSD said the A350 is not popular in the US! CBP took one minute and the bags were already on the belt because of the airbridge delay. The boxes (about 50 in total) came with the J bags. Placed on the
floor by the belt attendant with no QR Agent present. Picked up my box and walked off happy that the equipment was in good order.
Thanks for the report. In a few weeks, I'm traveling BKK-DOH-LAX, and would like to use my laptop until departure at DOH. I gather I can follow the same approach and check it at the gate (before gate security)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.