FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   QR DOH-USA flights: electronic devices permitted on ALL flights (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1830898-qr-doh-usa-flights-electronic-devices-permitted-all-flights.html)

JDiver Mar 21, 2017 10:32 am

QR DOH-USA flights: electronic devices permitted on ALL flights

NOTE: Qatar Airways flights from DOH to the USA are affected by the new Trump administration DHS order prohibiting electronic devices in the cabin other than mobile / smart phones and those devices that are considered medically necessary.

Your laptop, tablet, cameras, etc. must be in checked baggage, though it's uncertain at this time how QR will deal with the concurrent prohibition of lithium batteries in the cargo and baggage compartments.

From Tuesday (21 Mar 2017) on, passengers traveling to the U.S. from 10 airports in eight Muslim-majority countries will not be allowed to have iPads, laptops or any communications device larger than a smartphone in the cabin of the plane. If you are traveling from Egypt, Jordan, Kuwait, Morocco, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, or the UAE on Egypt Air, Emirates, Etihad Airways, Kuwait Airways, Qatar Airways, Royal Air Maroc, Royal Jordanian Airlines, Saudi Arabian Airlines, or Turkish Airlines, and you want to use your laptop on the flight, you are probably out of luck.

Link to Washington Post article
Of course, the possible political reasons for this order are best discussed in OMNI/PR, but this thread is for discussion of the practical effects of this order, e.g.

How will Qatar Airways deal with this conflicting order requiring laptops and other devices with lithium batteries be checked in as baggage?

How will Qatar Airways enable safeguarding thosevdevices to minimize risks of theft and breakage?

Etc.

A friend using QR states the QR policy is to give you cushioning materials for packing your electronics devices in your checked baggage and that QR accepts no liability. This may well change given the more customer supportive policies put in place by EY, but for the momen note this post in the AA forum:

Originally Posted by platbrownguy (Post 28069795)
...between countries that are parties to the Montreal Convention: (https://www.iata.org/policy/Documents/MC99_en.pdf, Art. 22).

When it applies, the Montreal Convention preempts domestic law and airline contracts of carriage and other policies. There is strict liability for up to 1131 Special Drawing Rights (~$1500) in case of lost baggage, more if higher value is declared at time of check-in

In the U.S., ordinary federal district courts have original jurisdiction over Montreal Convention claims.

Kumulani Mar 21, 2017 10:47 am

Wrong forum, this is Qantas, not Qatar.

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 28066624)
How will Qatar Airways deal with this conflicting order requiring laptops and other devices with lithium batteries be checked in as baggage

There is no conflict here. Airlines and governments have different rules, but in general lithium batteries in checked bags are fine as long as they're less than 100 watt-hour capacity and installed in a device, not loose in the bag.

N1120A Mar 21, 2017 11:17 am

Practicalities of the electronics ban - changing flights on QR?

All,

While we all have our views on this ban, I'm looking more to a practical question. So far, I've had indications that this ban is going to last till October. My wife and I have a flight planned for June to EVN. While QR's customer service is suspect, to say the least, is there any indication that they will do a reroute onto a partner to reduce the impact of this ban?

msm2000uk Mar 21, 2017 11:32 am

Not at present, as the information is still being passed through to CS.

M

oblisk Mar 21, 2017 1:37 pm

I have a DOH-ORD flight as part of a larger itinerary in April. Really hope Policy is clear and defined then. In a dream scenario, QR giving Biz/FC passengers a laptop storage bag and checking them together would be awesome, but i don't think that's how they'll approach things.

As for camera gear that's a different story. I guess it'll be a film only trip.

DownUnderFlyer Mar 21, 2017 3:15 pm

[mod hat] Moving to the right forum [/mod hat]

msm2000uk Mar 21, 2017 3:39 pm

We are allowing the discussion to continue but please refrain from political discussions of any kind otherwise this thread will be closed.

Regards
Zol & msm2000uk
QR Forum Moderators

roadwarriorafrica Mar 21, 2017 9:33 pm

My concern would be checking electronics into airports that have poor security, such as JNB, NBO, LOS, etc. How safe would your laptop, iPad, camera, etc. be in checked luggage?

What if DOH were to offer a storage facility at DOH, so you can carry your device xxx DOH, then leave there to collect for your DOH xxx flight. And even more awesome on arrival into the US, they can rent you a laptop (use miles), for the duration of your stay in the US, meaning you need a secure Cloud storage facility. Business idea?

JDiver Mar 21, 2017 9:51 pm

Qatar Airways has issued a statement in its Travel Alerts that indicates they will take some kind of measures to protect electronic devices that are not mobile phones or medically necessary. The solution seems a bit ambiguous, but hopeful.

The full announcement is:

United States - Electronic Devices

Effective 21 March in accordance with new United States government regulations, all passengers travelling on United States-bound flights are prohibited from carrying any electronic devices on board the flight other than cellular and smart phones and medical devices needed during the flight.

Qatar Airways has made special arrangements to assist passengers in securing their devices in the aircraft's baggage hold. Prohibited devices, including laptops, tablets, DVD players and electronic games must be carried in checked luggage only.

Updated on 21 March @ 12:13 GMT - link
Concerned about crucial data? Perhaps wipe it from the device after copying it to the cloud and an encrypted solid state storage device you can retain in your possession?

Big_Foot Mar 21, 2017 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica (Post 28069521)
My concern would be checking electronics into airports that have poor security, such as JNB, NBO, LOS, etc. How safe would your laptop, iPad, camera, etc. be in checked luggage?

How safe? You're serious? Not safe at all. I'd say there is probably
more than 50% chance it will be stolen or broken.

Dubh Mar 22, 2017 12:43 am

slightly confused as to where this leaves me with an external back-up drive. Its bigger than a phone, but not necessarily a device, as such.

raunow Mar 22, 2017 2:45 am

Company security policy is not to leave data carrying devices out of sight during travel, which makes flying QR to US at minimum a hazzle, and worst case a no-go.

I'm booked LAX-DOH-SIN/SIN-DOH-LAX in september (D-class, 250USD cancellation fee).

Do you see any chance of QR:
- Allowing me to reroute DOH-LAX leg to non-affected partner ?
- Waiving cancellation fee, and allowing me to rebook on different carrier ?

miamiflyer8 Mar 22, 2017 3:05 am

Can I say my TV shows on my iPad are "medically necessary" for my mental wellbeing during the flight?

GUWonder Mar 22, 2017 3:39 am

Like an emotional support pet, an emotional support electronic pet? :D

Originally Posted by Dubh (Post 28069891)
slightly confused as to where this leaves me with an external back-up drive. Its bigger than a phone, but not necessarily a device, as such.

If it powers on with connected batteries or an electrical power source, it's to be impacted by the ban unless your external back-up drive can pass as a phone/smartphone or medical device. But I don't expect absolute consistency there either.

MisterRobarto Mar 22, 2017 9:34 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 28070241)
Like an emotional support pet, an emotional support electronic pet? :D

I have an emotional support Pikachu saved in Pokemon Go.