Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR DOH-USA flights: electronic devices permitted on ALL flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Qatar Airways Flights to U.S.A. Electronics Ban Lifted

Travel to the United States: Electronics ban lifted

Link

Qatar Airways is pleased to confirm that with immediate effect, all personal electronic devices can be carried on board all departures from Hamad International Airport to destinations in the United States.

Qatar Airways and Hamad International Airport have met with all requirements of the US Department of Homeland Security’s new security guidelines and we would like to express our thanks to the US and local authorities for their support during this process.

We would also like to thank our loyal passengers for their understanding and patience while the ban has been in place.

Updated on 6 July @ 01:57 GMT
Print Wikipost

QR DOH-USA flights: electronic devices permitted on ALL flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: AA Gold; US silver
Just returned from CPT-DOH-IAD in J, thought I'd report on the experience. Kept our electronics until DOH, it took at least half an hour in line to get them wrapped up at the desk set up next to the gate so be sure to leave extra time. Orange priority tag attached to our box. Upon arrival in Dulles, a desk was set up next to the baggage claim for pickup of the electronics. The boxes of electronics came out AFTER all the bags (they didn't come through the belt, an agent went somewhere and brought them back on a dolley) and the claiming process for the electronics was not orderly. Priority tags didn't mean anything. Some people were asked to show their receipts and sign, others just pointed to their boxes and they were handed over. We got our electronics about half an hour after our bags arrived on the carousel.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:07 pm

Will be flying from USA -> Doha > India in next few days via Qatar airlines. Any restrictions on Smartphones(iphones/samsung) or Tablets ?

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 5, 2017, 6:39 pm

honr the ban on electronics is on flights from DOH TO US not the reverse. How can your flight FROM the US be affected?
The first posts on this thread explain the new regulations.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by honr
Will be flying from USA -> Doha > India in next few days via Qatar airlines. Any restrictions on Smartphones(iphones/samsung) or Tablets ?

Thanks in advance
There are no restrictions on the outbound flight. As discussed here, you'll be able to have your table/laptop on any return from India to Doha, but not from Doha to the US. Smartphones are OK.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Just completed BKK-DOH-LAX. Kept my computer until gate at DOH. Went to gate about an hour before flight to LA. Gate C9. What a mess! Didn't notice any signage to direct people to check electronics, but it was easy enough to figure out. I wouldn't arrive under 60 minutes before flight leaving to take care of checking computer. Between line to check, and the chaos of getting into gate area (too small of a space for security and QR check in counters). Everything worked, just wasn't pleasant. CPAP was allowed on board no problem, was told all medical equipment is not banned and can be carried.

Arrived into LAX, aircraft parked at remote stand. Took about 30 minutes to reach (bussed) and clear immigration (I have Global). By the time I arrived at baggage, computers were coming down. QR agents take all computers off to side area. Match claim ticket to your computer, sign and go. I did this as I was waiting for my luggage to arrive. Very organized. Well done QR!
Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:52 pm

Simple suggestion to Qatar to make process much more efficient.

Data Point & A VERY SIMPLE SUGGESTION to Qatar for a much more efficient operation.

(Though I doubt anyone from Qatar who can implement it would read this, but hey you never know.)

SIN-DOH-IAD:

Kept laptop until DOH since we had a long layover. When boarding at gate, prior to gate security checks, someone approached us to let us know if we had any electronics that need to be gate checked there's a special desk to go to first.

Thanked him and went to the desk.

Presented said electronics, where the agents carefully bubble wrapped each one and place in a good sized sturdy cardboard box. Box is taped shut. Very impressed with the packaging and care given.

We were asked for ID's and filled out a form to identify correct package.

Tagged box with corresponding document.

Placed box inside large clear plastic bag.

Tied top of plastic bag with some form of zip tie.

We give this package to the gate agent when boarding.

After landing in IAD, we wait and retrieve luggage and cue up to desk where agents have electronics and you go with your receipt to collect your items.

So far everything has been fairly smooth sailing.

Now the fun part and really where A VERY SIMPLE SYSTEM implemented from the beginning COULD SAVE SO MUCH TIME.

Everyone is gathered around the desk, and the agent goes to someone takes their receipt/ticket, looks at the numbers and goes to EACH box and reads the matching ticket looking for the corresponding number.

EACH BOX. ONE BY ONE.

UNTIL HE/SHE FINDS THE CORRECT ONE.

TAKE ANOTHER TICKET AND REPEAT PROCESS.

This is madness.

A very simple solution would be to take a $2 wide tip Sharpie or permanent marker and at the beginning, after taping the box shut, writing a big bold number or letter on the sides of said box & writing the same corresponding symbol on the ticket.

So when you get to your destination and there's a cluster of packages, the agent could very easily see "Box #1 or Box E" what have you, and of course they/you still have the ticket with the long string of numbers, names etc. to match.

But at least this way they DO NOT HAVE TO GO THROUGH EACH BOX OVER AND OVER AGAIN trying to read and match tiny ticket numbers.

This would save so much time.

Just my 2 cents.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by gourmand73
Data Point & [COLOR="Red"]A VERY
A very simple solution would be to take a $2 wide tip Sharpie or permanent marker and at the beginning, after taping the box shut, writing a big bold number or letter on the sides of said box & writing the same corresponding symbol on the ticket.

If I do this again, I'm going to attach a bright sticky note to the box before they put it in the plastic bag. It really doesn't matter if/what you put something on the note. Just something different will make your package standout.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 7:26 pm

My recent experience: DPS-DOH-LAX

. DPS did not ask me for electronics
. DOH did not have a sign which directed people to the packing counter, and as I queued for security no one asked me about electronics
. however, because I had read this forum, I left the queue and specifically looked for the counter which turned out to be just outside the gate
. there is no sign, and it was staffed by two pleasant packers
. because my flight was delayed arriving into DOH, I was amongst the last to board. However there were still 3 in front of me - therefore give yourself plenty of time
. my items were wrapped up as per previous experiences
. however I was not given the form to complete while waiting for them to wrap it - so ASK for it and fill it up while they wrap (takes about 3-4 minutes per item, they're quite thorough)
. process after wrapping is as described previously - you keep a copy of your form and eventually a tag number appears on your QR app

. I had a small compact camera with me which I forgot to include; however after the initial security staff showed it to someone senior it was waved through

. at LAX all the boxes seemed to be marked with the priority tag, they were placed on the floor just next to the baggage belt
. retrieval was by handing over and verifying the form, and signing off on the agent's clipboard
. despite there being about 30 boxes mine was found easily
. no place to recycle the boxes, several of us (me included) were overloaded with baggage so opted to open the boxes there and leave them next to the belt. I did my best to make it easier by flattening out my box and rolling up the bubble wrap nicely

There were about 3 people handling the distribution of boxes but I was amongst the first of the passengers there so there was no crowd. I can imagine once the bulk of the passengers arrived it would get crowded easily, and would probably be hard for them to control and maintain security over the boxes. Added to that is that there is little space between the belts in LAX Terminal B and they plonked themselves next to a pillar in between.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 6:27 pm

Any recent experience from anyone traveled from India (BLR/MAA/HYD etc) to US? Are you able to keep laptop with you until your connecting flight at Doha? Thanks.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 9:00 pm

My experience yesterday HKT-DOH-LAX:

Able to keep my laptop till DOH. In DOH The counter is set up before you enter the gate area for secondary screening. You fill out a declaration form (carbon copy duplicate ) as well as a sticker which they'll affix to your box or bag (if you elect to check the whole bag in). They affixed first priority tags on all J class boxes and business class tags on all Y class boxes. At this juncture - it's only the priority orange/ yellow tag with no baggage tag.

If you elect for the box they put your devices in it and bubble wrap it. The box can easily fit a wide range of devices. It is then wrapped in a larger polyethylene bag and cable tied.

You then take your regular hand luggage, both copies of the form and the box through the scanner. At the gate proper, you hand a copy of the form and boarding pass to the agent and he or she will print out a bag tag - of which the receipt stub will go onto your boarding pass. The larger portion is attached to your box and it is then when you are separated from the box.

At LAX - they set up a counter to match bag rag receipt stubs to boxes - which takes an awful long time. I recommend getting into that queue first before claiming your regular baggage. You're then asked to sign another form saying you've received it.

note : my 10000mah powerbank and QC35 wireless headphones were allowed aboard.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 5:49 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Similar experience here checking my laptop at the gate ay DOH, though the packaging station at DOH was clear and the boxes were visible. I didn't use that as I had my laptop in a small hard case. Glad I did because the guys trying to find which laptop belonged to which customer at LAX Customs baggage claim was a mess. All the brown boxes looked alike so do something to distinguish yours, or use a small case like I did.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 4:27 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
On board in J, I requested a laptop and received an HP Probook. I think I was the only one who did so. The computer was locked down and there was a notice that everything would be wiped when the computer was shut down. The PC had a Windows 10 OS with Word, Excel, and Powerpoint. It was fine and I worked/saved documents from a flash drive.
Just a note for those who are interested in working on a loaner laptop from QR or anyone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keystroke_logging

This might be useful, but does not completely eliminate the keystroke logger possibility.

http://www.komando.com/downloads/321...lash-drive/all
Old Jul 5, 2017, 5:36 am

Programs: Some
With the ban now lifted for EY, EK and TK, QR is looking increasingly isolated at the moment. Anyone heard anything regarding this being dropped for DOH as well?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
With the ban now lifted for EY, EK and TK, QR is looking increasingly isolated at the moment. Anyone heard anything regarding this being dropped for DOH as well?
QR seems to have good security with laptops.

Looks like they might be coming off the list.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-officia...--finance.html

Now ... if they only had more wifi ....
Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:55 am

C17PSGR I truly hope you are right in your optimism but I am afraid that it might be a political decision rather than a security decision. The next airport to be removed from the list will give us a clue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.